4.0 out of 5 stars Chick lit
Rory is shocked to find herself single and out of her own home after an argument with her long standing boring boyfriend of 11yrs.
Moving in with her Aunt Lydia at her boarding house she finds herself trying to figure what happened and who she is without Martin. Having only had the one suitable boyfriend she is talked into dating a series of unsuitable men. This...
Published on 18 Mar 2012 by Suzanne Moore

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny read but predictable (spoilerish)
Published on 4 April 2012 by Katia WolfSwan

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 23 Jan 2012
Thinker (Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I loved this book so much, I wish I could give it more than 5 stars!
The tale is of Rory, who is a Woman settled in her 11 year relationship and we start the story to find her relationship ended, you may think a miserable book but no - this book has a cast of interesting vibrant characters which leap off the page into your heart. Where to start, well Aunt Lyd is wonderful and kind of an anchor in the story background, owner of a boarding house with 2 wonderful elderly residents, the fantastic witty/foot in mouth Tricky work'mate', who made me cry with laughter at her inappropriate comments which on a page make you laugh so much. (I would buy a book where Tricky was the main character in a second!), Jim - plumber with outrageous t-shirts, surprisingly warm hearted, and a cast of unsuitable men that will make you laugh and wince along with Rory, who is discovering just what she wants from her life and if she really is as heartbroken as she thinks she is. An uplifting, funny and heartwarming book that I could have read and read for longer than its many pages, loved it....

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny read but predictable (spoilerish), 4 April 2012
This review is from: Unsuitable Men (Paperback)
I haven't read a chicklit book in over two years. I think the last series I read was the Shopaholic series and I stopped at Shopaholic and Baby. However, this did catch my eye when I read a review in a magazine and I have to say that although it was very funny in places I was expecting to be a little more 'wowed' by it. As is goes, it's the same old formula and you can tell how the story will end half way through the book. However, it was still enjoyable in places but during the last quarter I found I wanted it to hurry up and get to the HEA because I was pretty sure where it was going.

Although I did sympathise with poor Rory's situation (The ex was a true pig) I often wanted to shake her as she seemed to be so insipid and wimpish when it came to him. I felt she let him get away with so much. Yet..she was very abrasive and outspoken to people in her every day life and those who were nice to her. I mostly enjoyed the scenes in her workplace, especially with the Totetastic Toffs. I could not help but chuckle at her posh workmate, Ticky. There were some brilliant lines from her and for me, she was definately the best character in the book.

This is a fun, fluffy read. If you're into chicklit then I'm sure you will love it. If you fancy reading something that won't tax your brain but will definately have you laughing on the train to work then this would be a good book to chose.

4.0 out of 5 stars A sweet, enjoyable read, 2 Mar 2012
Laura T (Cambridge, U.K) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really enjoyed 'Unsuitable Men', Pippa Wright's second novel, which centres around Rory, who has just broken up with her supposedly reliable and safe long-term boyfriend, and finds herself single for the first time in eleven years. Her eccentric colleague at the magazine at which she works suggests dating a series of unsuitable men to find out what she really wants from a relationship, and writing a column about it. Rory is initially reluctant, but with the encouragement of her Aunt Lydia and her elderly house-guests, finally embarks upon the mission.

This novel was a genuinely heartwarming read, and I found Rory to be a very sympathetic and realistic heroine, from her experiences with her series of unsuitable dates to her realisation that her relationship with Martin had stopped her from really engaging with life at the office, and as a result she has neither improved her career prospects nor related to any of her 'posh' colleagues as people. I also enjoyed the characterisation of the unsuitable men, who range in age from 18 to 68 and are unsuitable in all variety of ways. When I started this novel, I assumed that Rory would go on a larger number of dates, but I'm glad that she didn't, because it allowed Wright to flesh out the male characters and make them into more than a series of one-note jokes. Almost all the men have some redeeming features, and it was interesting to see how Rory negotiated the dates. Although I found her eventual romance fairly predictable, the development of her relationship with this man was also well-written. I did feel that Rory had learnt more about herself and changed as a character through the course of the novel - something that chick lit writers often promise, but rarely deliver.

If I had a criticism of this book, it would be that it was a little slow to get started - as the premise is so clearly signposted through the title and blurb, I felt I was waiting for Rory to start dating and that Wright took a little longer over the set-up than might have been necessary. However, this is only a minor point. I haven't read Wright's first novel 'Lizzy Harrison Loses Control', but I'll definitely be on the look-out for it now, and I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys non-stereotypical and interesting characterisation in their chick lit.

1.0 out of 5 stars AVOID, 3 July 2013
This review is from: Unsuitable Men (Paperback)
Possibly the worst book I have ever read.
Predictable but yet not believable.
You know exactly who the girl is going to end up with but yet there isn't enough interaction between the pair, and the interaction that there is is very boring, not believable, and doesn't make you remotely excited about what is to come.
The concept of the book is actually very good however, not enough 'unsuitable dates' took place, and the very few that did occur were very boring. I didn't laugh once.
The title of the book is actually pretty misleading.
When I began the book and realised how this 'Unsuitable Men' idea came about, I was expecting a funny book similar to the film 'How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days.'
Had I not been on holiday with limited books to read I would have ditched this right away.
Can't fault how well written the book was, just glad it was an easy read with multiple paragraphs in which I could skim read.
There's not one thing I enjoyed about this book and I was highly disappointed.
Next time I will stick to Lindsey Kelk, Jane Costello, and Paige Toon.
Sorry.

3.0 out of 5 stars Typical chick-lit, 23 Feb 2013
K. Wright - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
"Unsuitable Men," is a standard chick-lit book as you would expect from the cover, blurb and title. Aurora (Rory) Carmichael has just broken up with her boyfriend of eleven years and is fed up of her job at posh Country House magazine. To top it off, she now has to live with her Aunt Lyd and two other ageing thespians. When an opportunity arises to write a new column focusing on her dates with unsuitable men, Rory rises to the challenge in the hope of it eventually leading her to a suitable man.

Whilst Rory is a character that is relatable, the rest of the characters, in particular the staff at Country Life, and the unsuitable dates are one-dimensional and formulaic. The story is also slow to get going and doesn't have much in the way of a plot. It was also clear to me from pretty early on who the protagonist was going to end up with. If you're looking for an easy read average type of book you could do far worse than this novel by Pippa Wright but I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Different, 21 Dec 2012
This review is from: Unsuitable Men (Kindle Edition)
It is a little tedious to start, but don't give up on it..it is unusual - written with a different slant.

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow starter, 11 Dec 2012
This review is from: Unsuitable Men (Kindle Edition)
Although I found this book to be a bit of a slow starter, perseverance paid off and enjoyed this read and will be reading others by this author.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great romp along read, 4 Dec 2012
This review is from: Unsuitable Men (Kindle Edition)
This was a super book that rolled on page after page. Easy to pick up at any time with plenty of laughs but also pathos. Really great but light read.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book was definitely suitable......., 2 Dec 2012
This review is from: Unsuitable Men (Kindle Edition)
Great book that is easy to read and was amusing. It made me think about some of my previous relationships .......

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 2 Dec 2012
This review is from: Unsuitable Men (Kindle Edition)
I only bought this as it was 20p and really enjoyed it. A proper girly book which I found hard to put down.

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›