4.0 out of 5 stars Chick lit
Rory is shocked to find herself single and out of her own home after an argument with her long standing boring boyfriend of 11yrs.
Published on 18 Mar. 2012 by Suzanne Moore

1.0 out of 5 stars AVOID
Possibly the worst book I have ever read.
Predictable but yet not believable.
You know exactly who the girl is going to end up with but yet there isn't enough interaction between the pair, and the interaction that there is is very boring, not believable, and doesn't make you remotely excited about what is to come.
The concept of the book is actually very...
Published 24 months ago by Beth

1.0 out of 5 stars AVOID, 3 July 2013
This review is from: Unsuitable Men (Paperback)
Possibly the worst book I have ever read.
Predictable but yet not believable.
The concept of the book is actually very good however, not enough 'unsuitable dates' took place, and the very few that did occur were very boring. I didn't laugh once.
The title of the book is actually pretty misleading.
When I began the book and realised how this 'Unsuitable Men' idea came about, I was expecting a funny book similar to the film 'How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days.'
Had I not been on holiday with limited books to read I would have ditched this right away.
Can't fault how well written the book was, just glad it was an easy read with multiple paragraphs in which I could skim read.
There's not one thing I enjoyed about this book and I was highly disappointed.
Next time I will stick to Lindsey Kelk, Jane Costello, and Paige Toon.
Sorry.

4.0 out of 5 stars Chick lit, 18 Mar. 2012
Suzanne Moore "Suzanne" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Moving in with her Aunt Lydia at her boarding house she finds herself trying to figure what happened and who she is without Martin. Having only had the one suitable boyfriend she is talked into dating a series of unsuitable men. This leads to various hilarity as she dates a man over double her age, a sex crazed intern years younger, a war correspondant and an unemployed musician. Whilst trying to figure out where things went wrong for her and Martin, if the gorgeous helpful nice plumber is really up too or is simply a nice guy whilst struggling to keep her job.

This is definitely a chick lit book. It won't set your world on fire but it will give you an enjoyable read and a good giggle, especially when the Rory drops the sex starved intern in it, and if you've been dumped then you'll completely understand where Rory is coming from.
If you want a book that doesn't require too much deep thinking and has a happy ending this is the one for you.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bland and inconsequential, 4 Sept. 2013
Bob Sherunkle (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My wife was none too impressed with this:

"I read a lot of "chick lit" and obviously there is a set formula for the heroine. This book follows this pattern very predictably throughout the book, and hence I personally found it boring. I could not identify with Rory at all, and I found her character abrasive and unlikeable; it was very hard to empathise with her and her situation. I could not believe that someone with the intelligence of Rory would stay with boring and staid Martin for 11 years and pine for the relationship when it is obvious she is fairly outgoing. The magazine where she works, and her colleagues, are interesting and obnoxious in equal quantity, and they use all the latest buzzwords and phrases. (Even though it is a company that focuses on Stately Homes, they decide to have a dating column- how odd.)
It took me a while to finish this book as it was not engaging me in the slightest. I would be very disappointed if I had taken this as my only book on a journey or holiday."

I have read one or two chick lit novels myself - Bridget Jones' Diary, arguably the template for the genre, is one of my favourite humorous novels. (I even dragged myself through one Mills and Boon, so that I had at least some basis for my sarcasm). However, as my wife found this one such hard going, I am really not tempted.

3.0 out of 5 stars Typical chick-lit, 23 Feb. 2013
K. Wright - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
"Unsuitable Men," is a standard chick-lit book as you would expect from the cover, blurb and title. Aurora (Rory) Carmichael has just broken up with her boyfriend of eleven years and is fed up of her job at posh Country House magazine. To top it off, she now has to live with her Aunt Lyd and two other ageing thespians. When an opportunity arises to write a new column focusing on her dates with unsuitable men, Rory rises to the challenge in the hope of it eventually leading her to a suitable man.

Whilst Rory is a character that is relatable, the rest of the characters, in particular the staff at Country Life, and the unsuitable dates are one-dimensional and formulaic. The story is also slow to get going and doesn't have much in the way of a plot. It was also clear to me from pretty early on who the protagonist was going to end up with. If you're looking for an easy read average type of book you could do far worse than this novel by Pippa Wright but I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Overlong and instantly forgettable, 30 Mar. 2012
Roman Clodia (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Rory (Aurora) has been with her boyfriend since she was eighteen only now they've split up and he's kicked her out of their house. Taking refuge in her aunt's guest house, Rory mopes around then is talked into dating `unsuitable men' in order to write a column for the magazine she works on (oddly, Country Houses).

What follows is a rather tired and obvious story involving a date with a fauxmosexual, a seventy year old, a flaky unemployed musician, and a hormonal teenager - before Rory realises her `suitable' man has been under her nose all along.

I enjoy the occasional chick-lit read but this felt very laboured to me and just isn't as hysterically funny as it seems to think it is. Rory is a colourless and forgettable heroine, the minor characters are trying oh so hard to be charmingly eccentric, and even the hero lacks charisma.

If you're a die-hard chick-lit fan you might enjoy this more than me but I found this limp, heartless and dull.

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny read but predictable (spoilerish), 4 April 2012
This review is from: Unsuitable Men (Paperback)
I haven't read a chicklit book in over two years. I think the last series I read was the Shopaholic series and I stopped at Shopaholic and Baby. However, this did catch my eye when I read a review in a magazine and I have to say that although it was very funny in places I was expecting to be a little more 'wowed' by it. As is goes, it's the same old formula and you can tell how the story will end half way through the book. However, it was still enjoyable in places but during the last quarter I found I wanted it to hurry up and get to the HEA because I was pretty sure where it was going.

Although I did sympathise with poor Rory's situation (The ex was a true pig) I often wanted to shake her as she seemed to be so insipid and wimpish when it came to him. I felt she let him get away with so much. Yet..she was very abrasive and outspoken to people in her every day life and those who were nice to her. I mostly enjoyed the scenes in her workplace, especially with the Totetastic Toffs. I could not help but chuckle at her posh workmate, Ticky. There were some brilliant lines from her and for me, she was definately the best character in the book.

This is a fun, fluffy read. If you're into chicklit then I'm sure you will love it. If you fancy reading something that won't tax your brain but will definately have you laughing on the train to work then this would be a good book to chose.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Slow Burn, 12 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Unsuitable Men (Paperback)
This is the first novel I have read by this author. I bought this book based on rave reviews I had read on this website, however I was little disappointed.

It took me until half way through the story to get interested in any of the characters. The central character Rory who has been dumped by sensible boyfriend Martin, and has subsequently moved into her Aunt Lyd's house in Clapham, while working at an upmarket magazine, is not a very strong one. She just isn't someone you want to get behind and support. She has a good life, and I am sure she could have done more to help herself. Everything she says about Martin shows she knows he isn't really the right man for her, if she actually thought about it. I felt frustrated at how long it took Rory to realise this.

To the credit of this author I did think the book had a slightly different feel to others of this genre, in that it tried to explore, very lightly, older people's love lives and ageing in general. I enjoyed reading their scenes and toward the latter part of the novel, I finally became more interested in Rory's colleagues. I also thought Martin was good fun to read.

I enjoyed the unsuitable men the most, particularly Teddy and Luke. Malky was so obviously someone a girl like Rory would never date, not even for her column, so I was glad when that particular theme was dropped. Luke was the most amusing with his sexts.

Ultimately I am glad I persevered, but it made me chuckle a couple of times, but it wasn't what I'd call hilarious. It is an enjoyable light read, but easily forgettable. I saw the person Rory would end up with immediately, and it never really felt plausible, although again, it seemed a little different.
Not bad, but just too light weight in my case.

4.0 out of 5 stars ideal holiday read, 4 July 2012
libby_black (derbyshire, united kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Unsuitable Men (Kindle Edition)
weve all dated unsuitable men, now havent we? but imagine setting out just to do that and you are able then to identify with our heroine in this book. nice easy reading. not too taxing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unsuitable Men, 11 July 2012
This review is from: Unsuitable Men (Kindle Edition)
Rory finds herself single after a blissful 11 years. She makes tentative steps into the dating meat market under the banner of a column "unsuitable men". The best of the unsuitable bunch has to be Luke the work experience guy, who offers himself up as a toyboy and opens up Rory's eyes to the unknown world of sexting, the guy is relentless and can't see he doesn't stand a chance, gave me a few laugh out loud moments.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but get the "real" book not the ebook., 13 Oct. 2012
JWS (London UK when I stop to take a breath....) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Unsuitable Men (Kindle Edition)
This book was good fun... was surprised by a couple of things which is always good in chick lit which on the whole is the same (that's not a criticism on the genre, it's nice, hehe)

However, I bought the Kindle version and woooo[...] Sadly I have an issue wherein when I see a typo or missing piece of text I have to really talk myself into getting past it (I mean in a book, on the internet etc I have no issues and am prone to typos myself...)

ANYWAY sorry, I digress. With this I had to keep making up words. Usually at the end of a chapter, sometimes just at the end of the page there were whole lines missing. Occasionally fixed by turning my phone around (!) but on the whole, just missing. At one point, of course only when I am really interested, there were several lines missing and no amount of changing the aspect or sitting right in a wi-fi zone be it home or wherever fixed it.

The book itself does not get any less stars from me though of course!! :-D If I see the paperback for cheap enough one day I may even buy it and re-read it... minus the (par for the e-book course, I have found) omissions.

Unsuitable Men