5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for crime fans!, 1 Mar 2012
N. Helfrich "Thriller Addict" (Not from this Earth) - See all my reviews
Detective Cal Doyle is back in David Jackson's follow up to his debut "Pariah"! As much as I enjoyed Jackson's first novel I thought "The Helper" was even better!
This time a sick serial killer is playing Doyle, offering him little scraps of info and telling him if he gets everything right he can stop people from being murdered. Unfortunately Doyle agrees to play along and is soon neck deep in dead bodies. The Helper draws the reader right to the side of Cal, trying to help him figure out what the hints mean that are given to the detective by the killer. And also there are some very nice twists in the story that you really don't see coming even if you have a routine reading crime fiction. The less one knows about it before reading the better!
Jackson has a great way of writing and manages to inject some new blood into the genre. For example, the opening chapter is set in a bookshop and is one of the best I've ever read!!
I can only recommend The Helper and its predecessor Pariah to everyone who enjoys a nail biting pageturner for entertainment!

5.0 out of 5 stars Looking forward to the next....., 22 Mar 2012
A. F. Prestwich (West Sussex) - See all my reviews
Two books, two excellent reads. Can David Jackson maintain this standard? My worry is the Doyle family life will intrude too much. Thriller readers do not mind a break from the action but not when it takes up too much of the book. However, that is my fear and it must not take away from an excellent and slightly unusual storyline to the extent I was getting somewhat frustrated by the killer playing Cal. An excellent twist at the end setting up another book. Great new addition to the thriller writer 'must read' list.

5.0 out of 5 stars I read it in one sitting..., 29 Feb 2012
This is the second outing for David Jackson's New York Detective Callum Doyle, and I hate to say it, but it's even better than his first one (Pariah). The difference with this one is that we get some insight into the mind of the killer throughout and he's a fantastically sick character! I'm not going to give too much away, I'm just going to say that I read this late at night and into the early hours. In one sitting. Without taking a breath. Terrific.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bet you can't work this one out!, 30 May 2012
Raven (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
With more twists and turns than snakes on a Waltzer, this is the compelling and equally well-crafted follow up to Jackson's astonishing debut `Pariah'. Once again featuring Detective Callum Doyle what starts out with a seemingly unprovoked attack on a mousy bookshop employee escalates into a great serial killer thriller. As the killer's murder rate escalates with varying methods of despatching his hapless victims, what appears to be a fairly random series of murders escalates into the very real threat of a serial killer stalking the streets of New York with a very specific reason for choosing the victims he does, leaving Doyle mystified by the link that he alone is sure exists and finding himself with his own personal hot-line to said killer. Punctuated by moments of great wry humour mostly at the expense of the cast of clowns that seem to be the stable of Doyle's fellow police officers, Jackson once again balances the tautness of the central investigation with a good dose of New York mordant wit. There is an absolutely terrific reveal at the end which caught me off-guard priding myself as I do as one of those annoying readers that guess the ending and just the right injection of pace that you as the reader (like `Pariah') are striving as much as Doyle to get to the bottom of this rooting-tooting mystery and seeking to unravel the clues in parallel with him. Along with a neatly conjoining plot woven around the aftermath of 9/11 and a mother's search for her daughter, this is certainly a more than entertaining crime thriller that wrong foots you at every turn. My only point of dissent would be the seemingly harmonious atmosphere of Doyle's home-life but maybe that's just because I personally prefer my detectives to be a little more personally tortured to add another facet to their character but this is a minor quibble and should not detract from the overall satisfaction gained by Jackson's excellent plotting and well-drawn cast of characters. Can't wait for the next one...

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful second outing, 23 Mar 2012
After reading PARIAH, Detective Callum Doyle became one of my favourite characters from all the books I read last year. Following on from that, THE HELPER is one of those books that you dive into and feel excited about welcoming old friends back. A killer is letting Doyle know who will be murdered next - can Doyle work out the clues and if not, whose death will be on his conscience? Somehow he always seems to land himself in trouble through no fault of his own. The plot is full of clues within clues, mistakes made by killer and detective, and I enjoyed working it all out. The book is so authentic and David writes with humour but can turn on the emotion in a matter of seconds. THE HELPER is a fast paced book, twisting and turning at every chapter, with a very clever ending. Bring on number three.

4.0 out of 5 stars Yet another David Jackson \ Callum Doyle page turner., 19 May 2014
This review is from: The Helper (Callum Doyle Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
Having read first 'cry baby' quickly followed by 'pariah' and now the helper, I think I 'overdosed' on Doyle. I loved the story and was curiously and frustratingly following the 'quiz' along with Doyle and his so called 'helper'. However I did get a little distracted by Rachel & and Amy this time (Doyle's wife & young daughter) I am pleased to be able to report that the author already realised and cry baby the 4th book with Det. Doyle puts the family back into the background and not 'key to the story.
I have reduced my rating of this book to 4*'s simply because for me, my pulse did not race quite as much as my other Doyle encounters.
I do however look forward to his next adventure in 'marked '

5.0 out of 5 stars Very graphic but very readable., 2 July 2014
This review is from: The Helper (Callum Doyle Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
I've found a new author I like as much as Deaver. I don't how Doyle gets away with the things he does and still stays on the force, but keep going!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Helper (Callum Doyle 2) by David Jackson, 28 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Helper (Callum Doyle Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
Once again I have read a brilliant story, full of twists, turns, lots of suspense and a damn good plot.

I like Callum Doyle he is just so cool even if he is only a fictional character. I think this shows what a talented author David Jackson is. For me his characters and their personalities jump out at you and the way he writes is so clever it's entertaining from beginning to end.

In a few moments I will be starting book number 3 and I hope this won't be the end of Detective Callum Doyle.

MORE DETECTIVE CALLUM DOYLE PLEASE.

Karrie

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 8 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Helper (Callum Doyle Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
I have loved all David Jackson books and I can't wait for the next one to come out.
I got them on my kindle so cannot pass them on to all my friends who I have told about his writing

5.0 out of 5 stars The Helper (Callum Doyle 2), 5 April 2014
This review is from: The Helper (Callum Doyle Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
First book 'Pariah' was very good, second book The Helper - excellent ... can't wait to start the third - 'Marked'.
The Helper is a serial killer thriller, fast paced, with plenty of twists and turns, a killer I didn't guess and a twist at the end I didn't see coming!! Brilliant, keep up the good work David Jackson. Highly recommended. :)

The Helper (Callum Doyle Book 2)
1.19