on 7 September 2012
I saw this monitor and decided to take a chance with it after seeing a lot of negative reviews, I'm also rather loyal to Samsung as not one of their products have left me disappointed to date.

I wasn't left disappointed with this purchase either.

When it arrived I was rather surprised by how small it appeared but after hooking it up and turning it on, it's just the right size and can surprise you.

For the price this monitor is a brilliant little thing, some have said that the colours look washed out but I find them to be wonderfully bright. I'm guessing they didn't even bother adjusting the picture settings before writing about it. There's 6 little touch sensitive buttons on the bottom right of the monitor that are pretty fun to play around with, simply touching the power button to turn off the monitor is a treat in itself. (Or maybe I'm just easily amused.)

Samsung even have preset settings called "Samsung Magic Bright." Selecting this and you can change the monitor's picture to your Custom settings, Standard, Game, Cinema and Dynamic Contrast, making it easier than ever to set it to your liking and use even when you can't be bothered to do it manually yourself.

Another review stated that they couldn't turn the monitor off but I found no problem with this, simply touch the power button and the blue LED will blink off. Done. Also for those who like to power save, this monitor is all about that and doesn't use much power consumption at all.

Only drawback I can find is that there isn't a tilt but it isn't too much of a bother. If you're going to lie down and watch movies on it you might want to consider looking for a monitor with this function but for simply sitting at your computer, there's no drawback. Also another complained of no wall mount but I expect that of a monitor, wall mounts are usually packed with TV's, if not, it's not hard to find one separate to buy.

SUMMARY:

* Bright screen with many picture adjust settings

* Wonderful black gloss finish smartens up your desk space.

* Touch sensitive buttons that are easy to use

* Energy saving, low power consumption

x No tilt for people who need to angle their monitors for whatever reason.

(EDIT: I am mistaken, the monitor DOES TILT! For more information, see the comments below.)
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 13 July 2012
Smashing little monitor, good pic quality. For the price I think it's very worth it. Using as a second pc monitor. Just to make clear as I think one of the other reviews said there was no tilt adjustment & no on off button - there is slight tilt adjustment, not a great amount but never-the-less it is there. The on/off - made me giggle this did, it's touch sensitive so yes no physical on/off button but you can switch it on & off! Only let down with this is that there is no vesa mount facility on the rear for a bracket. I missed this point but for the price I can live with it.
on 17 September 2012
Wonderful piece of equipment,as all Samsung products are,and some previous reviews contain numerous errors. There IS an on/off button, which is a modern touch button immediately under the blue 'on' light. There IS a tilt mechanism - you just hold the base firmly while pushing the top of the monitor to the required position (if it's a little stiff that's just to ensure it stays put when moving or cleaning). Colour quality and images can only be less than perfect if the user has failed to set the resolution of the computer correctly to suit the monitor. The CD provided gives all the information required to use the monitor correctly. After several weeks of use I think the product is superb.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 2 October 2012
Having seen a divergence of views on this monitor I was a bit reluctant to make the purchase but I'm glad I did. It is a perfectly fine piece of hardware. I replaced an old 4:3 CRT monitor so I needed to adjust the display settings to get it looking sensible. The monitor does tilt in spite of other comments but at first there seems to be no obvious pivot point. It is located within the monitor and is a little stiff so adjustment needs to be made by holding the base flat to the table before pushing on the top of the monitor. Regarding the on-off button it is located along with the other controls on the underside of the bottom of the screen not on the front where the somewhat invisible signs are.

R.P.Clarke's response to one of the one star reviews has a ring of truth about it. As he says widescreen = shallow screen something I came across first when I replaced an old 23" TV with a 28" widesceen TV thinking it would be much bigger. I hadn't appreciated the economics of producing widescreen products. In the end I guess you can only buy what is produced.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 30 March 2013
The monitor was simplicity itself to set up with my Dell Inspiron 620, entirely intuitive and no need to refer to the instructions. The system detected the monitor straight away and set the native resolution.

The adjustments to get colours/brightness/contrast etc just right took a few minutes, but the interface is straightforward and hassle-free.

In use, the monitor gives good, vivid colours, flicker-free video viewing and causes none of the eye-strain to which I am susceptible.

Slight gripes, which just stop it getting 5 stars:

The viewing angle, especially vertically, is critical with this type of screen. A mount that allowed click-less micro adjustment is highly desirable, particularly if a number of users of different heights are to use the monitor. Unfortunately, the supplied stand only permits adjustments in a series of click stops which are fairly wide apart. I ended up using a system of wedges under the leading edge of the stand to adjust vertical viewing angle.

The stand itself is flimsy. The monitor rocks about when touched and the base of the stand isn’t heavy or wide enough to properly support the weight and width of the screen.

Those problems apart, this is a good value monitor, offering excellent performance.

[For reference, my main uses are for photo-editing, video-editing and general computer use. I don’t use it for games. I hate games.]
on 30 May 2013
I am very disappointed about this monitor. The colors washed out, the texts are fizzy making your eyes getting tired very quickly. The viewing angle is very bad!!! If you sit precisely front of the monitor with your head on the same level with it then its fine, but if you try to look at it from a little bit a different angle it just became really dark. Sorry for my English :)
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is a great monitor for the price and much superior to the DELL monitor that I have been using, so is highly recommended.
on 15 August 2012
I bought this monitor to use when I work from home as my work laptop screen is small and I have been very pleased with this purchase. Easy to assemble and the quality is superb. Good value too and I used it solidly for 2 weeks over the Olympics and no negative comments so far.
on 28 March 2013
The screen was clear and had a matt coating which reduced glare very well. In fact, you can very easily read the screen from most angles.

If you ignore the precariously thin neck and the trim but plasticky base, you have a relatively high quality screen. Keep in mind most Samsung screen products are built this way, including the massive flat screen TV from them which we own. The screen itself is built quite well.

However, my biggest gripe about this is the poor colour reproduction. I have an eye condition and have very specific needs in terms of colour reproduction. I use a MacAir 13" but needed a larger screen for long hours of academic work. My partner bought the S22B300 and upon trying it, I felt it was a very good budget substitute to an Apple display. I went ahead and bought this model thinking that it should all be fundamentally the same, just without the Magic Angle function which we don't use anyway.

I've tried for a week and multiple adjustments to try and get the colour right with no luck. When I plug my mac into the S22B300, it automatically detects and translates the screen in the colours that's fairly accurate to my laptop screen.

So I'm returning this and paid extra to get the S22B300. I still don't understand why the two models are so inconsistent in quality.

If you are looking for a monitor that translates reliably or use a Mac (laptop or Mac Mini), you may want to consider the S22B300 instead. It is about GBP10 extra and comes with a HDMI port.
on 21 November 2012
I was looking for a widescreen monitor to make some applications (web design, spreadsheets) easier to work with, but didn't want to spend a lot of money. This model appealed because I have a lot of other Samsung products and I've come to trust the brand. I did read some negative reviews, but took a chance despite these.
The monitor was delivered within 24 hrs of ordering and I connected to my PC straight away, relying on Windows 7 to use the correct monitor settings.
My first impression was that the display was far too bright, so I set about adjusting the brightness, colour etc using the buttons on the unit. I found these very fiddly and couldn't find a setup to suit me at all. In a short time, the display was giving me a headache and I wasn't far from deciding that I'd made a mistake!
At this point I decided to run the setup disk that came with the monitor - this contains a PDF manual, specific driver software for the monitor and an application to enable the monitor settings to be adjusted from the PC.
Installing the Samsung driver software improved the display somewhat straight away, and I was able to make further adjustments from the PC that finally gave me a satisfactory result.
So, after a false start, the monitor is now absolutely fine. The widescreen gives me everything I was hoping for when working with applications that need a wide view and I'm able to use the monitor for long periods without any strain.