5.0 out of 5 stars Great 'Basic' Smartphone

3.0 out of 5 stars Limited starter smartphone
Published on 26 Oct. 2012 by popo

5.0 out of 5 stars Great 'Basic' Smartphone, 7 Jun. 2012
C. Robertson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Motorola DEFY Mini Sim Free Smartphone - Black Slate and Tangerine (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Not being a technical expert on these types of phone, I can only give my amateur opinion.On opening the box, which I was amazed at how small it was ! The following items were enclosed : phone, mains charger plug, data cable, headphones,good quality,colour instruction booklet.On initial starting up of the phone, I was informed as per the booklet that it would require charging, (30 % charge on battery, it took approximately 2 hours to fully charge ).Once charged, the phone informed me of the options available for registering with G-mail etc, although this was not necessary to use the phone.I carried on personalising the phone with ringtones etc which was very easy & the phone provided tips & help along the way.
There are multiple options available which are not shown in the instruction book,but even I could figure them out as I went along.I connected the phone to my computer to synch music, and this was done in seconds with the minimum of fuss.
I was very impressed that when I entered appointments on the calendar, the GPS/mapping system showed me where the addresses were automatically.
Believe it or not,this "device" actually lets you make phone calls or send texts !
This phone has many functions, which I cannot even begin to cover here.The main points for me were that it was shock-proof, waterproof etc, I have used it in the rain with no problems, which was a major plus point for me.My wife & daughter have phones which are double the price of this one, and I cannot see any difference in speed, quality, functions etc.

I would recommend this phone for people who want a "smart phone " which is not wimpy !

Update :

I have used this phone for a couple of weeks now and have found it easy to get on with.The phone itself is a reasonable size which easily fits into a pocket, it is not too big, but feels robust and heavy enough not to forget it is there.The phone signal is good,even without using the HSDPA - 3.5g connection.The screen, although small, is more than adequate for reading texts, customising features etc.The colours are nice, bright & clear.The internet functions start up quickly and I found the pages clear & easy to read.The phone offers plenty of functions which all seem to work well. The e-compass works very well and is quick to start, with it having spot on reliability every time.Google maps works very well and again is clear and easy to read.The music function is good with nice sound, there are options to view music videos & other songs from the artist you are listening to.The texting keyboard is small, but with a little practice it is simple to get your fingers in the right position for the letters, although mistakes can sometimes be made, but are easy to rectify if you are looking at what you are doing.As an Android phone,many apps can be downloaded if wanted, the onboard memory is small, but Micro sd cards up to 32gb can be used.The battery life of this phone is good, it takes about 2 to 3 hours to fully charge and with using the basic functions, it will last a couple of days,if the 3.5 g connection and various other extra functions are turned off, the charge will last for longer.I am still happy with my purchase of this phone, and although it has many functions I do not use now,they are there for the future if required.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Budget 'Tough' Smartphone, 12 Jun. 2012
So, lets jump right into this review. I am ASTOUNDED by this device and how much bang you get for your buck! I bought this phone for my Dad, who was itching to get a smartphone. Say you are in the same situation I was in, and are also looking for a new phone for your dad. It needs to have all the mod cons. A fancy android OS that runs a large part of the of the words app ecosystem, but it needs to be tough and rugged because your Dad could easily break it, but most of all, he doesn't need a supercharged device with dual core processors that cost 350+. You may have seen the Samsung Galaxy XCover, Motorola Defy and Defy+, the JCB Toughphone and a few others, but the price ranges 200+. I will tell you now, LOOK NO FURTHER! This phone is WAY more than what you pay for. Let me outline the specs.

Single Core 600MHZ Processor (which may not seem very powerful, but it surprisingly is)
512MB Of RAM (Which is more than enough for a device of this caliber)
Large Battery Boasting 1650Mah Of Juice (thats typically the mah of large dual core expensive phones)
Wi-Fi (so you can download apps, browse the web, etc on your wireless router at home)
3MP Camera and LED Flash, also used for the torch (which is a pretty decent camera for the price you pay) and front facing VGA camera (for video calls and face mirror)
3.2inch capacitive multi-touchscreen with a resolution of 320x480 and pip (pixels per inch) of 180 (which means the screen is responsive and crystal clear)
Expandable Memory Of Up To 32GB With A Micro SD Slot
MP3, Internet Radio, FM Radio Player, with a 3.5mm jack so you can plug in any headphones that use the same jack (3.5 is the standard and is widely used)
Bluetooth 3.0
Android 2.3.6 Gingerbread with Motoblur (The most widely used version of android which has been tweaked by motorlola in their motoblur software.
Dust Proof and Water Resistant

This phone may not seem to have the amazing specifications of current generation devices, so I was skeptical at first to see how it would perform. When I booted up the device and started using it, it was pleasantly surprising. The phone set up quickly and easily and prompted me to import all contacts from the sim card into the phone straight after setting up. Motorola has put in some lovely animations that work amazingly smooth and fluid. The phone easily tackle the user interface and opens small light applications quickly with no problem (like phone, calendar, messages, settings etc)

This phone comes with some motorola applications, which includes a pedometer which you can set. It comes with a torch app and Music+ app that downloads lyrics from songs you have if it can, and also connects to internet radio. You can use live wallpapers on this phone, but I found when there were a lot of widgets on the home screen the performance did degrade. However, if you only need a few widgets and not fill up all 7 of the available home screens, there should be no problems.

After seeing the impressive UI, I decided to test how much power this phone really had and downloaded some 3D games to see how they would perform. The first game I tried was Raging Thunder 2, a 3D racing simulator that is processor intensive. Having played the game first on my Mums HTC Wildfire S (which has very similar specs, including a 600MHZ processor and 512Mb of Ram) which was able to run the game, but lagged occasionally. Booting into the game on the DEFY Mini, I had a huge shock. The device swung into action and delivered a butter smooth 3 dimensional gaming experience that I had never seen on a device of its spec. The game was smooth throughout the race, and the responsiveness of the inbuilt accelerometer was very sharp, easily reading the device tilting and controlling the game. Next I opened up a game widely used amongst phone testers/reviews and gamers alike, a game called Riptide GP. This game is another racing game, but features jet ski's. This game is so popular because of the realistic water physics and beautiful graphics. It takes a very huge toll on the phones processor, as it is rendering complex 3D graphics and complex physics at the same time. This game also has been 'Optimised for Tegra 3', which is the latest in mobile graphic technology being used on 450+ phones and tablets, because it brings astounding graphical performance. Having my doubts, I opened up the app expecting the device to be a jerky mess. Again, I was astounded, the device glided through the game with flying colours. I got al the physical responsiveness form the water bobbing my jet ski up and down, and the graphics were not to bad either. The game has some extra graphic options which allow you to change the quality of the graphics in order to get a smoother game or better looking game. The game was automatically set to full. However, there is a compromise to the gaming experience. The graphics themselves, are not super high quality as you would find on a better device, and because of this they are able to be played on these cheaper phones. For someone like my dad, or an elder, they would probably not care about the graphics and just be so happy they can actually play a 3D game on a phone this small. Don't get me wrong, the graphics still look good, but they are not as good as they would be if they were played on a expensive phone.

So, for £80, you get a water resistant, dust proof, shock proof tough rugged phone that takes full advantage of its hardware and delivers great gaming performance for novice, casual gamers. Heck! Even more experienced gamers would be happy enough to play a few games this if they didn't have access to their higher end consoles and devices. Ive read a few reviews that don't give the device the credit it deserves, but I've given you an honest review. I myself, am a very techy person who has high standards when it comes to android phones, and with my experience with them, they just simply are not up to par with the price they go for. With this device, its surpassed all my expectations and preconceptions, and is a very good quality product for the price you pay. If you have any other questions, please comment :) I hope this review will help you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great starter smartphone, 14 Jun. 2012
Atticman (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an extremely robust phone - dust, water, and shock proof, with plugs and covers for every port and hole. This makes it very suitable for children, or for anyone who needs their phone to survive an earthquake.

It runs on Android, which is not as easy to use as iOS (as featured on iPhones) but is still relatively straightforward to use. However, this phone isn't really built for speed, and is quite chuggy compared to some of the flashier models available, like the Samsung Galaxy S2. However it has all the features you would expect of a smartphone - Internet, media player, email etc on top of your normal functions like text and of course phoning. I found the phone to be very clear to use for making calls and it's easy to text. The screen is a bit smaller than I am used to so I had to hold it horizontally which makes the keyboard a bit bigger. When rotating the screen the phone was a bit slow but comparable to other phones at this price that I have used.

The phone does require some setting up out of the box, but this is always to be expected- entering contact info, email details etc all takes time and some limited technical understanding. But this is always the case with smartphones.

If you are considering this as a first step in to smartphones from an older model, it is definitely the way to go. However don't push a button and expect instant reactions - the processor in this phone is simply too slow to produce a pc-like experience. As a solidly built and reliable phone with the extras of a smartphone through, it's great,

3.0 out of 5 stars Limited starter smartphone, 26 Oct. 2012
The build quality is pretty solid. The back clips onto the front very tightly, and is very difficult to separate once you have put it together. This should help in its claims of water and dust resistance. The front is gorilla glass and has survived unscathed after some weeks of use now. It does pick up fingerprints like any touch surface, but as a minor negative, it does seem a little harder to completely clean than an iDevice or even a BB Playbook. Perhaps they use a difference coating, as with those a wipe with any cloth like whatever clothes you're wearing cleans most of it off, yet on the Defy Mini it smears a bit more.

Around the edges of the phone are the usual power, volume and camera buttons. There's also a USB charge port and headphone socket which are covered by rubber plugs. Again this helps with the phone's resistance to the elements, but it is a small inconvenience when you want to plug things in. When uncovered the cover plugs remains attached to the phone so you don't have to worry about losing them.

As this is my only Android experience, I can't compare it against other Android devices but can against an iPhone. The interface responsiveness is reasonable, comparable to an iPhone 3GS, as is the screen resolution. There it shares the same limitations if you try to use the browser. Regular web pages are not worth the pain of such a limited resolution screen, and you need to stick to either mobile versions of popular sites or use dedicated apps like the included Facebook one.

A major weakness of this phone is the very limited internal storage. There isn't much of it to start with, and by the time you applied some system updates and installed a few apps, there's practically nothing left. Of course, you can use the micro SD card to store a lot, and many apps can be moved onto that to relieve pressure. But the way Android works means you can't move a lot of things onto SD, and you have to remember to move them yourself after installing the app. Also note not all apps can be moved. Some just want to stay on the phone itself. And an additional annoyance, even if the app can be moved to SD, it may want to store its data on the phone anyway. As your app collection grows, you will find yourself juggling where they end up.

At the time of writing, Motorola say there are no plans to offer major Android upgrades for this phone and there are no third party methods to do so either. So it would be safe to assume the Android version that you get out of the box is all you will have. Given the phone's lower specification it may struggle to run newer versions anyway.

The camera is unremarkable, with still image quality that wouldn't scare even a budget compact camera. Most annoying of all is that the phone plays a very loud fake shutter sound every time you take a photo. I do mean very loud, and as far as I know you can't turn it off. Even my compact camera allows me to do that, and a real SLR with a flapping mirror would be quieter!

I wasn't expecting much from the music player, thinking it would be like any other. I was surprised to find it presented they lyrics to the track I was playing, either complete or karaoke style line at a time. I don't know if this is a standard Android feature or a Motorola bonus, but it was a nice touch. Sound quality was decent enough with 3rd party wired headphones.

Real world battery life is harder to quantify. With the phone left on, a full charge will easily make it through a weekend with light usage. It does depend on the app function, as using the GPS in particular seems to eat the battery pretty quickly.

The GPS seems to work very well, picking up a precise fix faster than either of my Tomtom satnav or compact camera does. Similarly the accelerometer and compass seems to work quickly and accurately.

And finally... it works as a phone too, in case anyone still talks to people. Nothing particularly great or bad about it.

Overall, the price is quite important in determining its value. As such my rating has to reflect that. At the price of £79 I paid for it, I think it does a great job within realistic expectations. I am rating it down due to the constrained built in storage though, as that is possibly an economy too far. If you want more features, expect to pay for it elsewhere.

Positives:
+ low cost (when I bought it)
+ extra dust/moisture resistance

Negatives:
- miserly phone internal storage capacity
- stupidly loud fake shutter sound when taking photos
- no official major Android version updates expected

5.0 out of 5 stars Rugged Pocket Phone, 22 May 2012
The specs are pared back to make a small, water / dust resistant phone with a long battery life. The screen resolution is lower than usual, the processor is under-powered, the onboard memory is minimal, it has a low spec camera and the screen is not as responsive as other phones.

Comparison of features might make it sound like a poor choice but the same design choices mean that it works extremely effectively as an outdoor (active) type phone. It has good resilience, good over all functionality, a reliable Android build and good battery life.

The phone is small but has almost the same dimensions in terms of height and width as the Defy+. The screen size is infact smaller than the Defy+ and and the body is thinner. It is also lighter (in construction and weight). The responsiveness is obviously slower than a high end phone, but responsiveness is consistent with no hangs. The phone also runs flash. The size is perfect for a jeans pocket and it fits in an arm band for running. Last week I took it abroad. I had the data turned off, but I did use wifi heavily each evening. The phone lasted 3 days without charging and when I did, it charged within an hour.

Pros:

> Good battery life for an Android phone.
> Charges fast.
> Comes with a good Android build (2.3.6) which works well on the phone.
> Consistent responsiveness.
> Good reception.
> Motorola Blur
> Fast set up (in comparison with other Motorola models).

Cons:
> Really hard to get at the SIM for swapping.
> Medium SAR rating.
> Not enough onboard memory for apps. (I had to install more onto the SD card than I normally would. - means no widget functionality).
> Not as tough as other rugged phones. (e.g. Defy+ or Xcover)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good choice for your first Smartphone, 14 May 2012
As an entry level for a smartphone and for a 'user' that also has a 'life' outside of technology, this phone is nigh on perfect. The processor isn't the fastest on the market but if it's your first smartphone, then you won't really notice. It works fine and what's a few seconds here and there anyway. The phone is nice and compact, and you'll soon adapt to the screen. It comes with a 2GB SD card, and its onboard memory is low, so I recommend you buy a 32GB SD (maximum upgrade) when you order the phone. Got mine for less than £20 from Amazon marketplace.
The phone itself is very robust. When you first try to take the back off you think you're going to break it, but you won't. It's a very tight fit, which no doubt helps it's water/dust proof claims. It's also very tactile, being coated in a wafer thin rubber compound. The anti-scratch, Gorilla glass is useful. The battery gives me about two days of charge, now I've stopped fiddling with it. And, call me old fashioned, it'll fit in your pocket.
I often think giving ***** stars is over the top, so I shall refrain, but all in all this phone is a bargain at £150. I am very pleased with it.

PS. The first App you download should be a security App. Malware is forecast to become a serious problem for smartphones in the future, so get protected now. I'm using - avast! Mobile Security - it's FREE and matches almost all of the free and paying competition in functionality. But, whatever you choose, do it sooner rather than later!

4.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Phone for a low price...just don't expect too much, 17 Jun. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First of all, don't buy this phone expecting a top of the range smartphone to rival the big guns....that is not what this phone is about...the price alone tells you that.

This phone runs on the Android operating system, and as such has a massive libary of apps and games available for you to download and use, so if you have seen an awesome app on a friends Galaxy S then yes, the chances are you will probably find it here.

The phone has all the usual smartphone features, including GPS, Camera, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, MP3 & Video playback but don't expect it all to work as well as I high end model. For example, the camera on this phone is only 3 mega pixels. This is fine for basic snaps and perhaps some small prints if you are lucky but is by no means a good camera. If you want a top of the range smartphone, look elsewhere.

If however, you want a basic phone with a lot of bonus features for a cracking price, then this could well be the phone for you. I feel thats how you should look at this device, a basic phone with tones of extra fetures...that way you won't be dissapointed.

One of the first things you will notice about this phone is the build quality, it is excellent and very robust and with the help of the gorilla glass on the screen (which is very tough to scratch) you should have a very hard wearing phone that would also be perfect for a child first phone especially as it is also highly water resistant.

The phone is also quite small and light and will fit into any pocket with ease, making this an ideal phone for those who hate carrying bulky items in their pockets.

In terms of storage you should have plenty, with the option to add an additional 32GB of memory by purchasing a Micro SD card. The storage provided on the phone is fairly small (512mb) but the included 2GB card should keep you going for a while.

The battery life is not fantastic on this phone, but is comparable to most other smartphones out there, in fact it is better than many....so just be prepared for smartphone battery life which is much lower than a standard mobile.

The touch screen is very bright and crisp and offers excellent touch response...fanstastic

Overall, this phone is a real bargain for the price and the features will blow you away if you are not used to smartphones, if however you are a more advanced user then you may want to think again

Highly recommended for the right person!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect secondary mobile phone for sport tracker, 6 Jun. 2012
I wanted a smaller and cheaper Android phone next to my Samsung Galaxy S2, which I could take on cycling and trekking tours (recording GPS tracks), and this little fella seems to be the perfect companion with its long battery life, and water/dust proof properties.

5.0 out of 5 stars Defy Mini, 16 July 2012
I had been dithering over buying a smartphone for some time but I didn't want anything too physically large. It had to be rugged and not too expensive. It also had to be simfree, unlocked and -preferably- new. This narrowed things down somewhat and I settled on the Motorola Defy Mini. I paid just a shade under £80 to buy from Amazon and at this price it seemed a steal. A lot of reviews focus on its relatively slow CPU but I can't say I've noticed any particular sluggishness in operation. Internal memory is a bit limited and although it comes with a pile of apps built in, this will restrict the number of additional Apps you can download and install. Perhaps the first APP to install - and yes, it has a built-in app to access the Google Play APP store - is one that can move Apps to the SD card! It comes with a 2GB SD card but I replaced this with a 32GB card. I have moved most of my MP3 collection on to this. The sound quality is certainly as good as my ipod's. Navigation when driving works a treat with the in built Google navigation App but you will need a car charger as the assisted GPS satnav drains the batteries pretty quickly. I've also downloaded the NAVFREE app as an alternative - this stores maps offline which can be useful if you can't get a mobile signal. For walking in the wilds of Yorkshire and elsewhere, the inbuilt compass is great but what has really made the phone indispensible for this activity is a mapping APP (Viewranger) I've installed which displays OS maps and, naturally, will show your position via GPS etc - you need to buy the maps but you can buy them in relatively cheap "tiles" and download as you need them. It's looking like my ipod, satnav and paper maps might be redundant!
The techno-freak will dislike the Android version on the phone not being the latest version and that you can't root this phone either - but if you don't know what this means you won't care. By the time any of this becomes irritating to me I will have likely moved on to something else but, for now, it does everything I want and more. I'm very pleased with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mini marvel for a smartphone newbie, 9 Jun. 2012
Uncle Barbar (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm PC literate but this is my first smart phone and coming to it knowing literally nothing, I was delighted at how easy it was to set up and navigate. It does come with a helpful instruction booklet but I found I needed neither the booklet nor the online help to get going.(Obviously, the booklet is very useful to read.) The basic software is, I would imagine, very similar to many smartphones on the market. Some of the things I have found particularly useful and novel are the compass, the torch, the sound recorder, the FM radio (which has a speaker option as well as earphones) and the swype keyboard whereby you simply glide over the letters and it guesses your word pretty accurately once you get the hang of it. The big plus is the voice activated software which works really well for me and I use it all time. This really does save a lot of typing. The battery life is good and the phone charges quickly although th elead is annoyingly short. The camera is adequate. I'm PAYG and, initially, I gained a few unspecified network charges - still don't know where these came from so as soon as you can, I would recommend pressing Menu, Settings, Wireless Networks, Mobile Networks, then unchecking the Data Enabled and Data Roaming options. I have had no charges since doing this and it now prompts me if I try to connect when there will be a charge. Obviously, make sure the next thing you do is download free antivirus software. The ringtones are limited but these are simple to download for free from Zedge, even for a smartphone newbie.I have also downloaded 'Simple Notepad' which I recommend if you want a basic to-do list app.

I have given it five stars because it works so well for me but there are a couple of things I will mention: this phone is called `mini' and weighs 109g: about the same as the San Francisco. However, the screen is quite a bit smaller measuring 50mm by 79mm. However, it is slimmer. I would have been happy with the smaller screen for a lighter weight but this doesn't appear to be the case. Also, for me the capacitive touchscreen is overly responsive since merely the heat of my fingertip hovering over a button will activate it. This problem is compounded by the fact that the small screen size makes using the touchpad a little hit and miss until you get used to it. That said, I've had the phone about a month now and am now completely used to the touchpad. I now have a stylus that works perfectly and it's no longer a problem. This is the stylus COLT® HQ Stylus Pen for Apple iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S iPad 1, 2, 3 Wifi & other Nokia, Samsung, HTC, Google, Blackberry, LG, Sony Ericsson Smartphones However, the mini is probably not a good option for anybody with large fingers. Also, I had a little trouble getting the battery out and back in again - you just need to make sure the back is clicked in around the edges. It's not really a problem. Those small niggles aside, I love the phone and would heartily recommend it.