• Wreck

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 3 April 2012
I've been looking forward to this album for a while.
I love Unsane, I've seen them live a few times and they never disappoint. If you like tight, hard and melodic noise with a gore obsession, then you'll love this.
Wreck has a rougher more hardcore sound than their previous post-reformation albums - most notably the harsher vocals of early albums shines through strongly.
The production is also less polished - which I really like, it gives for a more DIY punk rock feel.
Opening track Rat dives straight in with a hardcore sound, but a catchy chorous and the songs blend relentlessly into one another from then on in - kinnda like a noisecore Ramones.
The sound of Visqueen has not been banished completely though - the creepy, bluesy harmonica is back as early as track three - No Chance - and this time it's playing a major role adding to the huge tunes atmosphere big time.
Of course the chunky riffs are also still there, solidly kicking your head in throughout the album's duration.
The release's standout track is Stuck, which shows off a hefty Nirvana influence, it's a grungy ballad done in the dirty Unsane style and it works better than you could ever imagine - and proves after all these years that the band are still more than capable of throwing in a surprise or two!
The much talked about Flipper cover - Ha Ha Ha sounds pretty nuts - and downright evil if I'm honest - I haven't heard the original, but this sounds pretty cool to me!
Overall, the tight musicianship, the heavy as hell riffs and the infectiously nasty refrains are all present and correct and Unsane are still as great as they've always been.