5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning novel
I really didn't want to put this book down at any point. I agreed with the first reviewer about the brilliance of the book, the believable characters and intricate weaving of the story lines, but was more than happy that the actual sinking of the Titanic was dealt with right at the start, because the book is about the aftermath: I think we have all had overkill on the...
Published on 27 Jan 2012 by P. Ashley

3.0 out of 5 stars Interlocking lives
A well written novel starting at the time of the sinking (no spoiler there!) of the Titanic which just sets the scene and not what the story is about. This is a book about two women's lives and how different their worlds when on that one dreadful night turned into a chance meeting and changed both their lives forever.

The locational information is very...
Published on 22 Aug 2012 by Lougrahamii

‹ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Something Different, 5 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Captain's Daughter (Paperback)
This was something quite different for me - having very recently acquired a lot of time on my hands (not by choice !!), I've spent most of the gorgeous weather this summer sitting outside reading. I used to long for time for me ... I absolutely loved this book - it kept me engrossed from start to finish. I loved the fact that it included real people and real events as well as the fictional story. It's beautifully and thoughtfully written, and the characters were thoroughly identifiable with. Not too heavy, I recommend it !

4.0 out of 5 stars The Captain's Daughter, 30 Sep 2012
JM (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Captain's Daughter (Paperback)
This is an enjoyable read based around the sinking of the Titanic in 1912. May and her family are on a journey from Bolton to make a new life in America while first class passenger Celeste is returning to her bully of a husband following a trip to England for her mother's funeral.
When the ship sinks, the two women find themselves in the same lifeboat and so a friendship is forged across the classes as they try to recover from the devastating night that tore so many lives apart.
The book is not just about Titanic, it is more the story of survival over the years after. It is a compelling saga filled with interesting and endearing characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant story, 17 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Captain's Daughter (Paperback)
I couldn't put this book down once I'd started. A really gripping read, lots of action and fast moving. It would make a good film .............

5.0 out of 5 stars another take on titanic, 4 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Captain's Daughter (Paperback)
This book was really good and I would thoroughly recommend.
A story of two people who meet in a life boat after the
titanic sinks and how their lives change. I had a few tears at the end.
Well worth a read and the sort of book you cant put down.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Captain's Daughter, 4 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Captain's Daughter (Kindle Edition)
An excellent read, good little twists to the story which I liked. I thougth the way all the chareters were inter woven was very interesting.

4.0 out of 5 stars A skilfully-written epic, 23 Aug 2012
This review is from: The Captain's Daughter (Paperback)
There can't be a person on the planet who doesn't know the story of the sinking of RMS Titanic, yet in Ms. Fleming's hands we can learn something new with The Captain's Daughter. Ms. Fleming has taken the 'rumour', shall we say, of the captain saving a baby's life and in doing so has created a wonderful story of survival and hope, and love. This is an extremely well-researched novel -perhaps a little too much fact at times for this reader, but that's not to take anything away from the wonderful storytelling. I loved the multiple settings - Lichfield, UK, New York, Tuscany.
I don't want to spoil this story for anyone reading the review by writing a synopsis of it, but if I have one reservation it's that I would have liked May to have had a happier, more fulfilling, ending than she did.
What next from the pen of Ms. Fleming?

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put this book down, 8 Aug 2012
This review is from: The Captain's Daughter (Kindle Edition)
Although the sinking of the Titanic only takes up a small part of the book, it is pivotal to the whole story and the connection between the characters. I found this book to be a real page turner, that is well written with likable characters. I would highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want to read about life, read this book!, 3 Aug 2012
This review is from: The Captain's Daughter (Paperback)
This is an amazing story, I am usually a bit sceptic about books in which the story covers many generations and a great time span. But this story is brilliant. It got everything you need, great characters and a lot of excitement. You even grow to love minor characters. It is just filled with emotions and you just can't wait to see what happens next. It moved me to tears a few times and I already miss it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book - well written, 18 July 2012
Flo G "Flo" (Gloucester, England, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Captain's Daughter (Paperback)
This was a real page-turner of a book. It is well written and keeps you wondering right up until near the end. This was one that I found hard to put down and it would easily stand re-reading at a later date. Definitely one to keep and not to give away lightly!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable read., 10 July 2012
This review is from: The Captain's Daughter (Hardcover)
On the one hand the story line here is very good and I find the characters and their stories moving and engaging - this book has had me reaching for a tissue on more than one occasion! The research too, has been done thoroughly into historical events and different regions and places.

Overall a great & fairly easy read and certainly 'unputdownable'.

‹ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 | Next ›