5.0 out of 5 stars Track Listing
Total Time: 62:39 mins. - 21 tracks - includes 12-page booklet.

Originally issued on Verve; produced by Norman Granz.

Track Listing for Ella Swings Brightly with Nelson + 9 bonus tracks

01. When Your Love Has Gone 3:00
02. Don't Be That Way 3:49
03. Love Me Or Leave Me 2:52
04. I Hear Music 2:20
05. What Am I Here For...
Published on 14 July 2012 by M. E. Gosano

1.0 out of 5 stars What am I buying?
It would be helpful if you somewhere listed the tracks on the album, then I'd know what was on offer - including the 9 bonus tracks!
Published on 12 Mar 2012 by ifindithardtobelieve

5.0 out of 5 stars Track Listing, 14 July 2012
M. E. Gosano "Manuel" (Bristol, U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ella Swings Brightly with Nelson + 9 bonus tracks (Audio CD)
Total Time: 62:39 mins. - 21 tracks - includes 12-page booklet.

Originally issued on Verve; produced by Norman Granz.

Track Listing for Ella Swings Brightly with Nelson + 9 bonus tracks

19. All Of Me 3:22*
20. Somebody Loves Me 2:37**
21. Cheerful Little Earful 2:06**

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good Old Music..., 17 Nov 2012
This is fun and decent music from an other era where bigbands provided the necessary grooves for a swinging night out on the town. The smooth voice of Ella together with the polished sound of Nelson and his orchestra make for a pleasant and festive listening experience. As such it can function as a perfect mood enhancer for the holliday season or add a nice touch to a classy party. The bonus tracks (the complete sessions) make the party last just a bit longer and that's always a plus in my book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic !, 22 July 2011
When you bring 2 legends together ( in this case Ella and Nelson Riddle) you are bound to get something quite magical and special and that's exactly what this album has in spades!

Ella swings brightly with Nelson was the second of 2 albums she recorded with Nelson Riddle in 1962, the other - "Ella swings gently with Nelson" is also top notch and there's little to differentiate in terms of quality over each other. You can say what you want about your Beyonce's or Mariah's but there's no one today that will ever touch the superb Ella Fitzgerald in terms of that something extra special, her voice is such that everytime you listen to her you get goosebumps, revelling in her warm silky voice that is distinctly her own. She is totally and utterly every bit as special as Sinatra was.

Of course Nelson Riddle will be remembered by most because of his superb work with Sinatra but many other acts in the 50's and 60's benefited from his amazing arrangements like Nat king Cole, Peggy lee, Dean Martin and of course Ella. Riddle's arrangements here are nothing short of superb, "When your lover is gone" is a very similar arrangement to his one for Sinatra's "I got you under my skin" even down to the crescendo in the middle, a lovely catchy bouncy beat, a superb crescendo and stunning vocals make for a quite magical song and my favourite on this album.

There's not a duff track on this album and as an added bonus the CD is bolstered by 3 additional tracks recorded for Ella and Riddle's "Gershwin Songbook" album from 1959 but left off. I don't know why these were left off, i can only guess for space issues as it's certainly not down to the quality of the songs.

I really can't recommend this album enough, it see's 2 brilliant talents working in perfect sync delivering a stunning piece of work that is hard to find any fault with!

5/5

5.0 out of 5 stars Ella Swings Brightly with Nelson, 8 Sep 2012
Dr. H. A. Jones "Howard Jones" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This was the first of a pair of LPs now on CD that Ella Fitzgerald recorded in 1959 and 1961 with Nelson Riddle, apart from the Great American Songbook releases of music by Mercer, Kern and Gershwin on which they collaborated. It opens with a swinging arrangement of Einar Swan's `When your lover has gone' and Benny Goodman's `Don't be that way'. Walter Donaldson's `Love me or leave me' to which Gus Kahn put words is given a solid slow beat. There are a couple of Duke Ellington compositions -`I'm gonna go fishin'' and `What am I here for?', Jerome Kern's `I won't dance' from Roberta and `Pick yourself up'. I didn't think the Arthur Schwartz and Howard Dietz number `Alone together' fared so well as an up-tempo track - but then I've been spoiled by Bob Manning's version! `Call me darling' appears here again as on Ella Swings Gently with Nelson in a very slightly different take, as does Gershwin's `Somebody loves me', lifted from the Gershwin Songbook album. Overall, this is a bright and cheerful collaboration with Ella and Nelson in great form.

5.0 out of 5 stars When your love has gone, 27 Sep 2013
Eric Mascarin Perigault (Panamá) - See all my reviews
Good thing Norman Granz and Verve allow us to hear these great performances. Ella is in top form as Nelson. All songs are great. If you want one only album of Ella this may be one of them.

Que bueno que Norman Granz y Verve nos permiten escuchar estas grandiosas interpretaciones. Ella está en su mejor forma al igual que Nelson. Todas las canciones son excelentes. Si usted quiere un solo disco de Ella este puede ser uno de ellos.

5.0 out of 5 stars happy memories., 14 Oct 2014
First heard this LP in 1965........loved it straightaway......still have the original but has years of wear and tear, so really wonderful to be able to purchase this CD....one of her many superb recordings and marvelous Nelson Riddle arrangements.......fantastic! !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 17 Sep 2014
good stuff ELLA ta Griff

1.0 out of 5 stars What am I buying?, 12 Mar 2012

1.0 out of 5 stars No track list, so no sale !, 12 Mar 2012
K. Waran (UK) - See all my reviews
Totally Agree with the earlier review ! without a list of tracks I cant possibly buy this CD much as I adore Ella---Probably have most of them anyway.

1.0 out of 5 stars sorry, 21 Mar 2012
I need to see what I am purchasing, no info no sale. This is not like my usual amazon I have bought most of my recordings via amazon but not this one. I will never buy a recording that I do not know what is on it.

Ella Swings Brightly with Nelson + 9 bonus tracks
Ella Swings Brightly with Nelson + 9 bonus tracks by Ella Fitzgerald (Audio CD - 2012)