4.0 out of 5 stars maypole bike carrier
Published on 12 Aug 2012 by S. macdonald

3.0 out of 5 stars Now I dont feel like I have a bargain
Published 1 month ago by D. T.

4.0 out of 5 stars maypole bike carrier, 12 Aug 2012
S. macdonald - See all my reviews
This review is from: Maypole BC2040 Towbar Mounted 3-Cycle Carrier (Automotive)
After loads of deliberation and research i purchased this , arrived quickly and i couldnt wait to fit on to car , it took 5 minutes to do that , only complaint about fit was the bolts rub on bumper of my X Trail . Ok so 5 minutes to fit and about 50 minutes of working out how to get 3 bikes of different sizes to fit only one with crossbar , .I worked it out in the end though i think your supposed to put bikes opposite ways on , A bit longer arms would be easier so you didnt have to sqaush every last millimetre to get bikes on .I also tied them on with a small ratchet strap,.
Took them out on main road today and not a problem at all they never moved an inch . I wrote my number plate on a bit of cardboard i proberbly should have a lighting board but well its more money an if i had plenty i would have bought the all singing danceing Thule fantastic bike carrier but sadly not .
Would have given 5 stars but if the arms were only an inch longer it would be easier to get bikes on .

3.0 out of 5 stars Now I dont feel like I have a bargain, 21 July 2014
This review is from: Maypole BC2040 Towbar Mounted 3-Cycle Carrier (Automotive)
I bought it for my car only to realise the spare wheel on the boot gets in the way, but that's ok it can go on my wife's....erm maybe not it wont fit to swan neck towbars. Ok... before I modify her car lets look at other bike racks...many out there 25% cheaper with clips to hold the bike. Now I dont feel like I have a bargain. The carrier is well designed but lacks the vital ingredient, - something to clamp your bike with. It's like all that matter is that it fixes to a fixed ball hitch not that it can actually carry bikes. It advertises as quick release handle and anti bike theft provision. Well there nothing to prevent bike theft at all, or even theft of the carrier. I cannot find anything maypole make to prevent theft. I think what they mean is that when you figure out how to tie your bike on do it with something that cant be easily undone. Thanks maypole, it was nearly good but only worthy of 3 stars as you provided a bracket and left the real bike carrying design work to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value carrier, 16 Dec 2013
This review is from: Maypole BC2040 Towbar Mounted 3-Cycle Carrier (Automotive)
I already had a towball mounted carrier by the big name brand, but it was such a chore putting it off and on it was putting me off using the thing. This was such good value I thought it worth a try and glad I did.

Easy to fit, nice and secure and now more flex than my other model. Only things to note, the bolts on my towbar were done up mighty tight and I only just managed to get them undone with a standard spanner (need to remove and replace it in order to fit the backplate) - maybe worth checking you can shift yours or alternatively how much your local mechanic will charge to do it for you!

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, 13 July 2014
This review is from: Maypole BC2040 Towbar Mounted 3-Cycle Carrier (Automotive)
I was very dubious about the stability of such a simple looking carrier and fitting mechanism so read many reviews before I bought and was satisfied enough from what I read to commit.

The carrier is very solid and takes two bikes very comfortably; there is very little movement while driving and fits very securely to the plate.

However, there are a couple minor negatives; the carrier doesn't come with any straps or means of securing bikes to the carrier and the square tubing makes it more difficult to attach straps, bungees etc. I previously had a Halfords carrier which had what they call 'frame locators', which the crossbar of the bike sits in and has a Velcro strap over it. These would be a welcome addition to this carrier and the few extra quid which I suspect this would add to the selling price of this rack would still be money well spent.

Also, the carrier could be a little taller so the bikes sit a little higher and clear of the A-Frame while towing.