Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£5.99

on 3 February 2001
Yet another hilarious and life like read. Growing up is not easy for anyone but this book shows that there is light at the end of the teenage years. The characters are so witty you can't help but wish you were their friend too! It shows that life is never easy, but there is always somebody there to lend moral support, a joke or a cup of sugar! Highly recommended.
on 17 February 2002
What a marvellous Liverpool SAga by Joan Jonker; set in 1930's Liverpool, we meet the Nightingales and the Moynihans. Jenny is a very popular girl in the story, whereas Laura is moody and mean throughout and causes her sister and parents a lot of worry.
Nice comical touches throughout the book.
Felt sorry for the character Joe who had a lot to put up with his young wife, but towards the end of the story, the young wife got her comeuppance.
In some of the chapters the dance hall was mentioned and as I read this I could imagine the dance hall of the 1930 period. I wondered though if the music was played by an orchestra or on a wind up gramophone.
I really hope that Joan Jonker writes more stories about the Nightingales and the Moynihans as I would like to read more.
Wonderful cover illustration on the book; the cobbled street and the terraced houses.
If you haven't read this book I recommend it. Well done Joan!
on 5 January 2003
This was the first book that I read of Joan's... i have since read all of them, and enjoyed every single one. However, reading this book without having read any of the others, I didn't quite know what to expect. So what did I get? Hilarity all round, some sad parts, but all very touching and simple. The characters come alive, and I find myself in another world every time I read this book.
Joan's style is different from that of every other author. It is funny, heartwarming and very emotional in a simple kind of way. Even when the author is describing small details, she does it better than anyone else... If you want a permenant smile on your face, then don't hesitate to read this book, and even better, read all of her others! They will not disappoint, whether you are a new or old fan of Joan
on 2 January 2007
I have read most of Joan's books and still never ever get fed up of reading them. This book again takes you through every emotion imaginable. The characters come to life you can almost see them. As a previous reader mentioned, I would love Joan to continue writing about the Nightingale's, the Hanley's and the Moynihan's as she did with Molly and Nellie in prevous books. They may have been hard times, but it shows that when families pull together you can be rich in other ways.
on 11 July 2013
Another fab book by a brilliant author, I love the way you feel as if you are there, made me laugh and cry at times, would recommend.
on 26 July 2013
AMAZING
always a pleasure to read i always enjoy these books you loose yourself in them every time you pick them up
on 13 March 2014
Book was as new, would recommend this book to anybody. I have enjoyed reading this book like the other Joan jonker books
on 4 March 2016
I love Joan jonker I have now read all her books and I know that she has passed away God bless a very good writer.
on 12 November 2012
Anybody that likes a good classic book, then this is it. It's gripping and you never want to put it down.
on 13 September 2013
As I already own this book in paperback I decided I wanted it in the hardcover format and love it