5.0 out of 5 stars Super Seiko
To start with I purchased the Seiko kinetic diver but since sold it and needed a replacement watch.

I was drawn to this model as it is solar power and not kinetic or automatic but still retains the classic retro but timeless feel.

Published on 22 Aug 2012 by A. Barnes

3.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps it would be useful if I lived in a cave for several months
goo timekeeping and feels solid. but I guess I should have researched it more as I discovered that the second hand is actually the small dial on the left, and the 'typical' second hand, as on most watches, is only used as a stopwatch. Also little point to the dial on the right which is a 24 hour clock. I can tell if it is day or night by looking out the window...
Published 8 days ago by hammer

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Seiko, 22 Aug 2012
A. Barnes - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gents/Mens Seiko Sports Watch Stainless Steel & Black Dial, Solar Powered, Chronograph 200m Water Resistant with Date SSC017P1 (Watch)

The watch is not as heavy as the Seiko kinetic diver and in terms of size is slightly smaller but i think that is because the bracelet is a tad thinner. The bezel is larger on this model.

Overall Im pleased as this watch for me is almost a sort of hybrid diver/aviator in one watch. It is still 200m water resist and features the hardlex glass and date. But also you get a stopwatch on the sub dials which are not sunk in or raised just printed sub dials on the main module. I went for the version with the black bezel with light blue quarter mark as i had the pepsi colours before and wanted a change. Also the push in buttons are protected with caps which unscrew like the crown to a certain point allowing the buttons to be pushed in etc.

the trifold clasp sits more central on the underside of the wrist as i had taken a link out of each side of the bracelet, it is the pin and coller method, if you dont have the right tools to adjust then take to a jewellers to get it done for you. I ordered mine from the Friendly lifestyle store on Amazon and the delivery was in fact next day express 24h so delighted with that.

Overall this watch is along the special ops/diver James Bond theme again and looks good for any occasion. Great value again from Seiko

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent watch, 5 April 2014
My original review is right below the updates.

***
UPDATE #2 - June 1st, 2014: The watch didn't get much wrist time this month. I wore it for around 3-4 days in total. It is +10 seconds since the last time I've set it a month ago. One thing I'd like to point out is that if you want to use the chronograph while the watch is on your wrist, you have to unscrew the pushers, which is sometimes annoying. Not *that* important, but thought I'd mention it. It is a diver's watch after all, so I guess the pushers should have the extra protection. Also, the whole time the watch was not on my wrist (around 25 days in total), it was in the watch box in a dark part of my apartment. No issues with the battery reserve. Every two weeks I'm leaving my solar watches by the window for 4-6 hours. I believe it's all they need to keep their juice. I'm only saying this because I see some people exaggerating with their solar-powered watches when they are not wearing them, worrying about having them in a well-lit area all the time. No need for that, just take them out to "breathe" once in a while. Only issues that will occur if the watches are in a drawer for longer than the stated power reserve. Even if you are wearing the watch one day/month in the sun and having it in the dark for the rest, I'm sure it will be kept charged sufficiently.
UPDATE #1 - April 30th, 2014: Have the watch for about a month now and wearing it every day. It is working great, it is +9 seconds for 30 days.
***

Original review:

This watch is simply excellent. I wanted a solar-powered analog watch and as soon as I saw this, I knew it was the one. Seiko, solar diver and a 1/5th second chronograph.

I have this watch for a week now and it seems to be running for about +2 seconds. This is much lower than the stated -+15s/month. I have set it according to my 5+ year old solar G-Shock and the time seems to be the same in both watches. I'll know for sure about the accuracy after a few months, as the Casio is standard +15 sec/month since day 1.

The black dial is very good, you cannot tell this is a solar-powered watch, unless you look at the date window (or, read the "SOLAR" printing right under the SEIKO logo :) ), up close and at a certain angle. That's when you *might* spot that the dial has some minimal translucency. Speaking of the date window, I agree with other people's reviews, the date could have been a bit larger. Or black font on a white background would probably work better, for its size. The date starts rotating at around 11:15PM and fully rests on the next date at around 11:55PM.

The hour markers, hour, minute and running seconds hands are lumed, so is the chronograph seconds hand, but too little to be usable. The lume is great. The first couple of days I used to give it a blast for 5-10 seconds with the flashlight, before taking it off at night. In the morning, although it was substantially faded, I could still read the time. After the first couple of days I stopped blasting it with the flashlight and the result is the same in the morning. So it just works as it should if you just have it on your wrist all day, like I do. This is not the case with the G-Shock, where the lume is practically non-existent. And not because I have it for 5 years, it has always been like that.

The chronograph minutes hand is not lumed. It is blue and it needs some getting used to, as to which exact minute index it is on. It is aligned perfectly, but it's the size which is a bit small. This is not an issue with the running seconds hand, which is more legible, despite the fact that the sub-dial size is the same. I think it has to do with the different shape and size, which is more like an arrow (and probably its white color).

The chronograph seconds hand is also blue (same blue as the chrono minutes hand) and it might be hard to read under low light as it is very thin. I think the yellow and red accented versions of the same watch might offer better legibility in this aspect. Also, when the watch came, the hand was not perfectly aligned on the 12h mark. Not an issue, as you can read in the manual on how to align it. In normal/bright light, no issues with legibility.

I like the 24h sub-dial at the 3h mark, although I would have preferred a day-of-week indicator.

The bezel is unidirectional and turns fully in 120-clicks. The feel is great and it does not sound cheap. Not that I expected any disappointment in that part.

The bracelet comes with solid links, but with folded end-links. In general the feel is very good and solid. What also was a pleasant surprise was the polished mid-sections of the bracelet. In various pictures of the watch online, it looks very blingy for my taste, but in person it does not stand out that much. I think I am keeping it as it is.
It also has a diver's extension. My wrists are small and after resizing it, there are some situations where the extension might dig into your hand. I resolved this issue by removing a link on the 12h side and placing it on the 6h-side. This means that the clasp will be a bit off-center under your wrist, but I found that the extension is no longer in the way. However, this purely depends on your wrist. Wear it and see how that goes.
Also, a note on adjusting the bracelet. It has the pin-collar system and if you haven't resized a bracelet like this before and are doubtful, just take it to a jeweller. It's not difficult to do, just remember that after the pin comes out, there is a small collar in the link, which might, or might not fall off. So hold the watch low over the table after the pin comes out, to make sure you won't loose the collar.

The watch comes with a crown at 3 and two pushers, one at 2 and the other at 4. The crown and the pushers are all screw-down. Just make sure everything is screwed-in before getting it wet. Both the crown and pushers are solid. You set the time and date through the crown and use the chrono with the pushers. Top pusher starts/stop the chrono and bottom pusher resets it. You can also get split-time reading. While the chrono is running, push the bottom pusher and the hand stops. However, it still measures time. Push it again and it rotates to catch up with the measurement.

The case is 43mm in diameter (without crown) and 13mm high. I thought that 40mm watches was as big as my wrists could take, but I was wrong. The watch just sits on my wrist perfectly.

Pros:
- Solar-powered. Just wear it on your wrist and it will absorb the light it needs to keep it running.
- 6 month power reserve, with under 60-minutes of chronograph use. Every day. If left in the dark.
- Very legible. You can read the time with a glimpse.
- Smooth bezel.
- 60 minute chronograph.
- Screw-down crown and pushers.
- 200m water resistance.
- Solid bracelet.
- Very good lume.

Cons:
- Small date window, with white font on black background.
- Chronograph minutes hand needs some getting used to.
- Only 60 minutes chronograph.
- 24h sub-dial not as useful as a day-of-week indication. For me at least.
- No power reserve indication. If the power is critically low, the seconds hand will start jumping every 2 seconds. I would have preferred a better indication on this. Then again, unless I don't leave the watch in a drawer for more than 6 months, I don't think I will ever see the low-battery warning.

To conclude, I think this watch is worth more than what you pay for. Solid, solar-powered, accurate and excellent sporty look, but wearable in all occasions.

I'll be updating this review after some time.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT WATCH, 25 Jan 2013
This is a VERY, VERY nice watch, typical of Seiko
well built, looks good, feels very heavy in a good way :-)
would thoroughly recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars A long time in the coming., 11 May 2013
This was the watch I wanted when I turned 21. I decided instead to treat myself for my retirement. Well you have to have a watch don't you? Out of the box, a lovely solid but not over-heavy feeling. Obviously well constructed and built to last. The dials are clear to read under nearly all lighting conditions. It is nice to see that the hands actually click on to the markings on the dial and do not miss them. One nice feature is the screw-down crowns for the chronograph as well as the main watch - to stop water entering underwater apparently. Can't say I've actually had occasion to want a stopwatch while swimming underwater - yet! One-way bezel had a good, solid feel as it rotates. Luminous hands and markers stay bright for many days. One of the best features of the watch is the Solar charging. No more batteries yes, but even more important is that the case does not need to be cracked to replace battery and therefore the seals stay intact. It is guaranteed for 200m Air Diving. Even re-sizing the band can be done at home although you do need one of the pin-pushers Amazon sells if you want to do it safely. Another nice feature is the bracelet extension you can activate so that it fits over a wet-suited wrist. Well done Seiko. A definite winner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dive watch, 19 Dec 2013
This is a very nice watch. Feels good on the wrist looks good to the eye. Not just for diving it's that good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seiko sports watch a classic in the making!, 10 May 2014
Make no mistake this is a great watch at a great price and rivals more expensive divers watches. I purchased it after much research of similar products and I have not been disappointed. The watch is very good value for money, solid and beautifully crafted a timepiece that will attract admiring glances. It is solar powered thus no batteries, charging was easy in natural light and the watch keeps excellent time.
The watch was sent from Hong Kong and came earlier than anticipated. It is a commanding watch with presence not too big but larger than the average. The blue on the bezel is an attractive eye catching feature. I had the watch band shortened two links out as I like a snug fit for my watches. I would have preferred if the centre links of the bracelet were less shiny like the outer edges but it still looks and feels like quality. There is a solid feel to the watch and divers extension to go over a wet suit. I have another Seiko that I bought 15 years ago and that is still looking and going strong and I anticipate that this one will emulate it. This is a classic man's watch for those discerning types who are sensible not to spend a months salary on a expensively advertised alternative that is inferior to the Seiko in so many ways!

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Star Seiko, 14 Mar 2014
A high quality watch at a sensible price. It replaces a wonderful Seiko bought back in 1987which has has given
total reliable service. Why buy anything else

5.0 out of 5 stars Price-quality ratio outstanding!!!, 6 Feb 2014
This Seiko looks expensive, like an Omega or even a Rolex thanks to its compact and elegant design. Seiko does not disappoint at all with this solar model and at this price who would't consider to buy it. At the end it is totally worth it and the seller is 100% trustworthy

5.0 out of 5 stars my back up watch, 2 Feb 2014
outstanding value for a very good quality watch, i bought this because it was cheaper than getting my omega seamaster serviced.

5.0 out of 5 stars divers watch, 2 Dec 2013
Very good quality watch. Nice heft and really nice bracelet. The lumes is really bright and the design is nice and clear.
This is my second seiko in a month and really pleased with both.