4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to clean, practical, attractive highchair
Bought this highchair after having previously bought a plastic padded one. I was so frustrated not being able to clean the old one properly that I had to buy another easier to clean one. We used a highchair the same as this in a holiday cottage and found it so practical compared to our old one.

The only thing is the safety straps cannot be removed so I shall be...
Published on 7 Nov. 2009 by M. Doel

3.0 out of 5 stars mixed feelings
Published on 12 Jun. 2011 by SJ

3.0 out of 5 stars mixed feelings, 12 Jun. 2011
Bought this highchair for my 6 month old baby and she sits well using the insert - very slippery without the insert so recommend investing in the additional product. very solid and looks nice with the kitchen furniture - cheap alternative to the stokke which i originally looked at. my only criticism is that the straps are not attached to the back making them slip off the baby's shoulders so i just use the waist part. they are also very short and already find them too tight for my little girl so doubt i will get much use out of them. the highchair itself is great though, easy to clean and fold away. would recommend this product with the caviate that you will need to rethink the straps and buy the insert when considering buying it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Please fix the straps!!!, 11 Mar. 2014
This review is from: East Coast Folding Highchair (White) (Baby Product)
I bought this highchair for my 6 month old who is just starting to wean. Having sat her in the chair I proceeded to try and put the straps on but was having difficulty getting the straps to meet. As I was faffing around she started getting angry and fed up so I had to abandon it and try again after I put her up for a nap. I had read other reviews on the John Lewis website that were saying the waist strap was far too small, but then someone else had said that was because the straps had been caught behind the seat or had been twisted. I then got my hopes up thinking I may have made these mistakes but unfortunately not, they are just far too short for an averaged size 6 month old, let alone 2 year old!!! They are also anchored in the wrong place at the back, it is far too low and means that the baby is still able to slip down.

I'm really disappointed because I took a long time deciding on a chair and I love most of the features including the fact that it is very easy to fold down and very easy to keep clean, it also looks classier than a lot of the tacky plastic ones. I don't know whether to keep hold of the chair and try and solve the problem myself (which I don't have time for and considering the price, don't think I should have to). Or send it back and try and find something better all over again.

I really am disappointed and would like an explanation.

I hope Amazon will pass this on to East Coast as so many people have mentioned the same problem, the product is simply not fit for purpose, it is not safe to use for a young baby.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to clean, practical, attractive highchair, 7 Nov. 2009
M. Doel "mum of five" (Scotland) - See all my reviews

The only thing is the safety straps cannot be removed so I shall be snipping these off and replacing them with washable ones (two pairs - one on and one in the wash!) Clippasafe Easy Wash Harness & Reins (Multi-Coloured) For me it is essential to feed my baby in a clean highchair!

My baby is sixteen months and can sit unaided. For a very young baby you will need a highchair insert as the wood would be slippy and the seat is quite large.

4.0 out of 5 stars NICE LOOKING, REASONABLY PRICED AND PRACTICAL, 12 Jan. 2010
I was looking to buy two highchairs for my (now nine month old) twin boys that wouldn't cost a fortune, were well made and safe to use, easy to look after and keep clean, were easy to store (ie, were folding) and that looked good in our kitchen (ie, not over-priced, gargantuan, all plastic, technicolour monstrocities). I can honestly say that I managed to find them with this chair. They fold away to store side-by-side in my kitchen cupboard when not in use, are easy to wipe clean and are understated and classic in design. I had to purchase two highchair 'inserts' (padded, wipe clean seats) for them, since they are not supplied, but they were easy and cheap to obtain and fit nicely. The five point harness is easy to use, and adjusts to fit, but unfortunately does not detach in order to be washed; it can, however, be cleaned fairly quickly in-situ with household cleaner and hot soapy water. All in all a very good buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great high chair, 17 Feb. 2012
Excellent product. We were a little sceptical due to some of the reviews on Amazon but having used with our 7 month old for the past 2 months we have no complaints. If you're looking for a more traditional wooden high chair this is a great buy. We also purchased the recommended cushion which we have found a useful addition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent high chair, 10 April 2010
M. Wright - See all my reviews
This wooden high chair ticks all the boxes. It is easy to assemble (hardly anything to do. All you need is a screwdriver to fit the 'feet'), easy to put up at meal times, fairly easy to fold flat once you get the hang of the 'collapse' lever. It also doesn't need much storage space. Even better, it's a lovely chair for babies/toddlers/etc to sit in! An insert is needed for babies as the seat is quite roomy. The chair's very easy to wipe down and keep clean as the wood edges generally and especially on the tray are all rounded, with no little crevasses where food can be 'stored'. I did a lot of research before opting for this East Coast chair and so far the babies are delighted with it...

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality & looks nice, 11 Aug. 2013
This is a good quality solid wood chair, that looks nice, and is easy to clean, and it feels like my 10 month old 11 kilos baby boy will not fall from the chair, or tip this chair over as it's very sturdy.

It's also possible to fold it away, so if you have a small kitchen you can easily place this in a broom cupboard - although we just keep ours out, as we use it every day, about 3-4 times a day.

The wooden tray can be flipped over to the back of the chair, and I imagine when my son is old enough, he'll be able to sit at the table, without having a massive wooden tray in front of him - so that's a handy thing for the future.

We've had it for about 4 months now, and it hasn't disappointed.

We did find the shoulder straps a little too constraining to begin with. And then we went to a few restaurants and places that had the exact same chair, and we realised that many people just used the waist strap without the shoulder strap. So now we do the same, and just use the waist strap, and my baby is more comfortable, and can move around a bit more, but he is still very safe in the chair.

Washing the straps would mean unscrewing them from the chair, which is not impossible, but is a bit of a faff as you need to get the screw driver out. So admittedly we haven't done it yet. We just wipe it every day, and it doesn't look too bad. But I guess that makes the straps safer, the fact that they're screwed onto the chair.

I would highly recommend this chair.

3.0 out of 5 stars Time will tell, 3 Jan. 2011
Our 6 month old daughter has only just started using the highchair and inital impressions are mixed, especially considering the price. It looks very nice, especially with the insert. It is easy to wipe clean and does not take up much room. However, it is quite tricky to get the harness onto our daughter as it is only fixed at the seat of the highchair & not onto the back of the seat. The harness is a lovely cream colour which cannot be removed so will probably get very dirty. The seat does not look very big so I'm not sure how long our daughter will comfortably fit into it. Time will tell.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect highchair!, 23 Dec. 2014
Beautiful chair, my baby loves it. It is very sturdy and comfortable. We use it with the watermelon insert and it fits just fine for our 6 months old baby. It seems that the issue with the straps has been fixed as the high chair I received has long straps. They can easily be adjusted - I shortened them as they are very long for our little one and use them from behind the back of the chair. That way the straps give extra support as baby does not sit very well yet. The chair is also easy to clean and easy to fold, even with the insert it folds fine. I highly recommend it!

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY, 3 July 2011
I brought this product when my daughter was 6 months old, she is and always has been a dainty girl, she was far too small for it initially but with the use of an insert and a cushion behind her back we perserveered, ususally resorting back to her faithfull bumbo and tray. She is now 1 and still cannot reach the tray very well, in the last 6 weeks i have accidently caught her skin in the leg straps which are far too small for any normal sized child, i would not reccomend this product, save your money, buy an ikea antelop!

East Coast Folding Highchair (White)
East Coast Folding Highchair (White) by East Coast Nursery Ltd