4.0 out of 5 stars Warrior Mermaids ....
Published on 13 Feb 2012 by Cheryl M-M

3.0 out of 5 stars Another B movie book
Published on 2 Feb 2012 by skycat

4.0 out of 5 stars Warrior Mermaids ...., 13 Feb 2012
Cheryl M-M (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Drowning Mermaids (Sacred Breath Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This is the combination of two genres, the supernatural, because technically although a myth that's what Mermaids count as, and romance. It is blend of both, so you get the heart wrenching romantic scenes, whilst the warrior mermaids battle below sea with their enemies at the same time. It isn't one or the other either, because it lacks that penultimate divulsion into the supernatural genre, because the author isn't willing to let go of the romantic novel setting. It isn't the atypical romance either, because it wanders into the amazingly creative genre of creatures that exist in the mind of the fantast. This is perhaps the reason that some of the dialogue seems a little predictable, especially the scenes between the couple. I would love to see what the writer would do if she stuck to her supernatural guns a little more. She has made a cast of characters, which I am sure we will see again and are strong enough to develop a series from. I received a free copy of this book for my review.

4.0 out of 5 stars modernized mermaids, 29 May 2012
I was a little wary of Drowning Mermaids (Sacred Breath, #1) at first. The cover made me think it might be more smut than anything else, but the synopsis really looked interesting and it has good reviews, so I decided to give it a chance. I'm glad I did. It's not at all smutty.

I've seen the author refer to the story as Darwinian Mermaid's, and thats a fairly good description. Aazuria and her elegant entourage are no Ariel. They don't have shining scaled tales. They don't use sea shells in a poor attempts at modesty (and even less so for support), and they know human culture fairly well. They do, however, have an overbearing and questionably protective sea king as a father, so I suppose there are similarities.

One of the things I liked about Drowning Mermaids is the idea of mastery, the idea that given time (of which the mermaids have an abundance) humans can truly master an art. Scrieva doesn't present her mermaids as magical, spell binding, holders of innate power over the senses of humanity. Instead they are skilled, carefully trained and practiced. It reminds the reader that if even mythical creatures have to work at what is important to them, we can't expect to do any less.

The mermaids do seem awfully up on modern language, medical terminology, and weaponry. I found this a little hard to accept, considering their recent circumstances. Scrieva handles the language difference between land and sea people marvelously, but I thought the comfortable use of Methemoglobinemia, for example, stretched the credibility a little too far.

Despite this, without a doubt the highlight of the book was the actual writing. Scrieva's ability to infuse a slight sense of irony into even the most somber passage was a sheer joy to read. The occasional use of sarcasm at the expense of the characters made the reader feel party to a private joke, and created a comfortable intimacy. For this reason, more than any other, I'll be picking up the sequel Fathoms of Forgiveness (Sacred Breath, #2) .

4.0 out of 5 stars Took me by surprise..., 3 Jun 2013
Laura Hartley (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Drowning Mermaids (Sacred Breath Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I was immediately drawn in by the title 'Drowning Mermaids', I mean, how can a mermaid drown? I rushed my way through this book, unable to put it down and I read it all in just one sitting. It is a really readable book that is well written and well thought out. I'd say that the plot description is a very broad way of describing this story and doesn't come close to what it is actually about. Drowning Mermaids is so much more than what it is described as.

The plot is absolutely fantastic and I've never read anything like this before. Although this looks like this is just a book about 'mermaids', it isn't. Yes, there are mermaid-like creatures in it but that's not really the focus of the book. Quite a lot of things happen over the course of the book, but it doesn't feel rushed at all, just jam-packed full of excitement.

At first I thought that the romantic aspect was a bit weird because of the different 'mermaid'/human age differences but I soon grew accustomed to it. The romance was quite subtle and even though it was an important plot line it wasn't thrown in your face. I think the pairing between Aazuria and Trevain could've been developed a little better, but it was good nonetheless.

The characters were all extremely likeable and I admire the majority of them for their strong values when it comes to friends and family. I love that beneath the water the characters turn into different people but with the same basic traits because the secret identities make everything more exciting.

All in all, Drowning Mermaids was a fantastic book that took me by surprise and thoroughly entertained me. There are some major plot twists towards the end which were just so unexpected and that makes this book all the more entertaining! I would highly recommend it and I am looking forward to reading the next book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Romance and action, 11 Jan 2013
Bob (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Drowning Mermaids (Sacred Breath Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This was supplied free to read and review.
It took me a while to get into the story as initially the character of the captain did seem at odds with how I expected the captain of a fishing boat to be, too refined perhaps. Although set in the present no date is given but reference is made to current motor cars the story had an old fashioned feel to it. It is the first part of a series but it works well as a standalone and I will happily read more by this author.
It is an easy read which is no bad thing and once I got into the book it was a combination of romance and action, I am not giving the plot away when I say that the reader is aware that most of the women in the story are mermaids but the captain does not realise it until much later in the book, much is given away by the title.
The mermaids and locations underwater and the battles were well described and the story although "fantasy" can't think of a better word does seem realistic. It was an interesting concept to have the mermaids living much longer than the surface dwellers which made for interesting relationships.
In all a good mermaid story written from an entirely different perspective.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hooked, 10 Jun 2012
A. McLean (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Drowning Mermaids (Sacred Breath Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I was very skeptical of the book before reading it, but now i'm glad i did because from the very first page i was hooked and enjoyed every minute of it. I can't wait to read the second in the series now!

3.0 out of 5 stars Another B movie book, 2 Feb 2012
This review is from: Drowning Mermaids (Sacred Breath Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Sadly, although the idea was entertaining, the story telling wasn't quite up to scratch. It must be very difficult to sustain a good quality of dialogue, as many authors seem to stumble when it comes to this. The dialogue between characters was strained and contrived, with the usual recourse to cliched phrases, and the all too commonplace misunderstandings between the two romantic 'leads'.

When one is trying to establish an alternative world, or idea, much more detail is needed to create any authenticity if the reader is actually going to believe in this world.

When I started reading this book I thought that I'd like it. The narrative at the beginning was well written, but soon degenerated into mediocrity once the characters began interacting with one another.

5.0 out of 5 stars Such an exciting take on the mermaid mythology, 14 April 2014
This review is from: Drowning Mermaids (Sacred Breath Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This is such an exciting take on the mermaid mythology with such interesting and thoughtful details to surprise and delight the reader all the way through. I loved the relationships between the women, a really important and strong part of the story. They all had such personalities, with enough difference but also familial similarity.

There is plenty of humour here as well, much from Corallyn in her tricky situation. Trevain is a sweetheart and Aazuria's relationship with him unfolds nicely and there is a tension with all the lies Aazuria must spin so that you wonder how this could ever be properly resolved. That tension only ramps up more and more as the book goes on I was completely entranced by the end. Looking forward to reading more!

5.0 out of 5 stars drowning Mermaids, 19 Feb 2014
Rosie (Redhill, Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Drowning Mermaids (Sacred Breath Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This is a really lovely interesting book. The Mermaids in this story are totally different . Enjoyed every minute of it

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 10 Mar 2013
This review is from: Drowning Mermaids (Sacred Breath Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book it was great. The characters a awesome. The story line was great. Really enjoyed every part of this book. Would highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Show to start...but, 28 Feb 2013
This review is from: Drowning Mermaids (Sacred Breath Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This book was really slow to start and I didnt think I would enjoy it at all. Once you get a quarter of the way through you begin to know and understand the characters more, as well as the world they come from. I purchased the 2nd book straight after. Dont give up if you have just started this, it does get better.