on 21 December 2012
This recording has been a constant companion for almost 20 years; its own age has not dulled the impact of the lively performances both orchestral and vocal. It gives such pleasure on every listening, and the quality throughout is excellent: dense textures are discernable and the solo lines are well-produced. I have heard many other recordings but none has lifted the spirit like this one. A must-have for any JSB (or JEG!) enthusiast.
on 22 October 2013
Wonderful music, brilliantly performed and produced for listener. As a choral singer recording proving invaluable to helping me learn soprano voice part and to appreciate how different voice parts and instrumental sections interweave.
on 28 June 2012
We like the idea of authentic versions of Bach's music, using early instruments (or copies), and similar forces to Bach's day. So perhaps we shouldn't have been disappointed by this CD. We bought it after hearing a fabulous performance of the Mass in Cirencester Church - made special for us by the fact that a harpsichord I made was played in the concert. But when we sat down to listen to the CD, it didn't seem a patch on the live version. Perhaps we hoped for too much. Soloists seemed lack-lustre and remote, instrumental playing weak, altogether not a lot of pleasure.
on 23 January 2014
A Good recording, very well sung and a great orchestra and conductor, very happy with the purchase, you won't be disappointed
on 10 May 2013
Having heard JEG and found that this was his favourite piece of music, I thought this version very poor dynamically.
on 6 February 2014
Tenor & bass superb. Bass has super voice, and Jonas Kaufman ....WOW! And he also sings well and has a great future.
on 11 June 2014
Marks my return to the Bach fold. I can't think why I left! There are plenty more to choose from.
on 11 January 2015
Wonderful music I bought this after hearing it in a concert.
on 28 June 2014
Excellent performance.
on 21 January 2014
I love this mass but unfortunately the problem is with the CD. Disc one is perfectly fine but when it came to adding disc two to my computer I discovered the album info (ie song names,cd name everything) is in a foreign language and foreign alphabet - my guess is Korean. As well as this, track 7 on disc two has a background scratching/clicking noise throughout sounding very much like an illegal copy. I returned the CD and asked Amazon to send another (hoping it was a one off) which they kindly did but unfortunately the second CD had the exact same issues.