5.0 out of 5 stars Good bit of kit for the money
Published 22 months ago by JMan

3.0 out of 5 stars Heavy but safe
There is no question it is heavy, as many people have stated, but having used it to cut my hedge I must say it is no worse than my old hedge trimmer and much easier to reach the top of the hedge as no shaky step ladder required.
Published on 30 Oct. 2012 by TT

5.0 out of 5 stars Good bit of kit for the money, 6 July 2013
This review is from: Ryobi 400W Electric Articulating Pole Hedge Trimmer (DIY & Tools)
I had been looking for quite some time for a long reach hedge trimmer. I tried out a petrol one but found it noisy and really heavy. They need servicing which is not cheap and you have to keep mixing petrol and oil to keep it running. Petrol I think is better for pros. A good petrol one also will set you back a few hundred pounds. Rechargeable, not powerful enough and run out of charge too often. I am glad I bought this electric Ryobi now. It is sturdy, has a really good reach to easily cut up to about 12-14ft high hedges. Yes its a bit heavy but really not that bad, try using petrol ones.....they're proper heavy! It is sturdy and well made so its only right to expect it to have some weight to it. It cuts really well, it has quite a wide tooth gap of about 18mm and deals with all the bushes, conifers in the garden no problem. Because its an extendable long reach, the cable does not get in the way or anywhere near the blades. I would really recommend this, not too cheap but great for the money and glad I went for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ryobi RPT 4045 Pole Hedge Trimmer, 19 Jun. 2013
Having been quoted £175 to trim our conifer hedges, about 70 feet length in total ranging from 7 feet to 12 feet high, we decided to look for economic alternatives.
We have a two stroke strimmer and and a two stroke blower/vac and these are fairly heavy even with their harness so the idea of hefting a petrol hedge trimmer that can reach to 12 feet did not appeal. After looking at the reviews we chose the Ryobi and are very pleased with it's first use. Considering it's reach it isn't that heavy or unwieldy and we needed no ladders and balencing acts to do the job only a small folding platform about 15 inches high for the 12 foot section. It took a leisurely 90 minutes or so. The Ryobi didn't jam or stall.
The hardest part of the assembly was getting the doubled up pole out of the box in which it's a very tight fit. Once the two rubber cable protectors were removed the pole simply snapped together. The trimmer has already paid for itself and the delivery from Amazon was very fast.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ryobi rpt 4045 pole hedge trimmer., 4 Jan. 2013
excellent product , it does all that itis supposed to with ease. maybe slightly heavy for some users.It certainly saves a lot of ladder work.

3.0 out of 5 stars Heavy but safe, 30 Oct. 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars It does what it says on the tin!!, 12 May 2013
Only disadvantage is that after some time it is tiring to use when fully extended, as you have to act as a counterbalance as well as holding it up. Perhaps some form of harness would have been an improvement

4.0 out of 5 stars Beats balancing on a step ladder, 22 April 2013
For years I've been trimming my hedges using a standard hand held trimmer which when perched on top of a step ladder is really far from safe.
So I bought one of these and what a difference! It is a bit heavy, which will wear thin after prolonged use but the long trimmer made quick work of cutting back my hedges and I could reach the top of a 12 ft hedge without the step ladder.
Just what I wanted :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars The right tool for the job!, 17 Oct. 2013
I have a very long hedge bordering my property which is 10 foot wide in places, fronted on one side by a brick wall six foot high. To trim the hedge I use an electric hedge trimmer but it is doing the top which caused me problems. To keep it six foot high requires use of stepladders on one side and standing on the wall on the other, but even then there are parts in to middle which I cannot reach. Now with my Ryobi Pole Trimmer, I can reach it all and my hedge is now level and neatly trimmed in line with the top of the wall. Of course, it is heavy to use horizontally so I had to do it in stages but the hedge wasn't going anywhere in between so who cares. Storing it is easy; I just put a screw in the garage wall 6 foot off the ground and let it hang vertically.
If you have a hedge which is high or wide, then I would suggest this is a ton well worth spent if you're proud of your property.

1.0 out of 5 stars Would be good if I could rely on it, 27 July 2013
Despite being a bit heavy it can do a good job on 10 ft high conifers far quicker and more safely than a standard hedge trimmer and ladders. That is if it kept working. After using it just twice, it decided to keep cutting out. Returned it to the retailer who happily changed for another brand new one. That was nov 2012. It has been used 3 times since then and now the new is doing exactly the same, cutting out, leaving me with a half finished hedge. Retailer says they will exchange it again - do I want another? I want one I can rely on and can only see this happening all over again. Those who have given good reviews might also soon encounter these problems.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly Made, 11 Oct. 2013
I read the reviews here before buying and thought the one stars may have been to severe, as I have had a great Ryobi garden vacuum for 16 years.

Those reviews were not wrong.

Assembly of this item was a nightmare with the all too common poor instructions.

The (oval!) pole does not fit well into the head assembly and no amount of re-jigging would stop it wobbling. I am an engineer and it even blew my brains out. How a non mechanical person would get on beats me, as you can hardly get it out, as the packaging is desperately tight.

I didn't get any further than this and have sent it back for a refund as I could make a better fitting unit in my own workshop.

Very, very poor show Ryobi, I shall steer clear of you in future.

Caveat Emptor. You have been warned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Disabled user friendly., 29 Oct. 2013
Being unable to walk, I have to use the hedge trimmer from a seated position. I manage to cut about 100m of hawthorne hedge which is about 2m high. The top may be a little uneven but it would not be possible at all without the Ryobi.