4.0 out of 5 stars Optimistic tale of humanity's collective potential
Reynolds has always set himself apart from other science fiction authors by widening the scope of the plot to the nth degree, by infusing the setting with richness and depth, and by marbling all of this with awe-inducing science and technology. Akin to Revelation Space and House of Suns, Blue Remembered Earth proves he still has the gift for exhibiting unique ideas,...
Published on 25 Jan 2012 by 2theD

3.0 out of 5 stars Not exactly what it says on the tin
Well, I've never been lied to by the back of a book before. I say this because, apart from serving as a rather needless Chekhov's gun, the potentially menacing 'Mechanism' referred to in the description plays absolutely no role in the story. I hope this doesn't count as a spoiler, as knowing this gives nothing away about the actual plot of the book. However, any reader...
Published 19 months ago by David G

4.0 out of 5 stars Sorry - kindle version poorly priced, 25 Jan 2012
This review is from: Blue Remembered Earth (Poseidons Children 1) (Kindle Edition)
I would like to read the latest Alistair Reynolds, despite not enjoying Terminal World, as I think I have everything he's published and he remains my favourite SF author. But as some others have commented, it really is annoying that the kindle version is more expensive than the hardback. VAT is not an adequate excuse. And I have resolved to save both some trees and some shelf space... So I'll be holding off for now as my own small protest against the publisher - after all, there's plenty more good reading out there...

4.0 out of 5 stars Mind blowing scope., 17 Jan 2012
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
OK do you like a book with a huge scope? A title that will grab you, shake you up and throw all sorts of twists and turns so that your view is like Escher's Relativity? Well search no longer as this new title in a cracking new series by Alastair Reynolds hits not only the shops but the readers minds in such a way that you'll be confused as you wend your way through.

It's clever, it has an almost mind blowing scope and when you add to the mix an author who knows what they're doing with sleight of hand, it's a title that will stay with you long after the final page is turned. Finally add to this the makings for a trilogy to be long remembered and it's clear why this author is high up on most fans lists of must buys. Great stuff all in and a real treat although for me, it's going to be a long wait for book two.

1.0 out of 5 stars Blue Remembered.... Ching, 27 Jan 2012
Well I'm very sorry if my one star upsets anyone but there it is. I was really looking forward to this new book from Mr Reynolds, especially after reading several of his previous exciting, turn-paging, revelatory, imaginative, well-rounded charactisations, but am dumb-founded at this latest effort. As the quote below confirms Mr Reynolds has been contracted to produce 10 (that's TEN) novels in the next ten years. Presumably on the strength of books such as "Chasm City, Revelation Space, Redemption Ark, Absolution Gap, Century Rain, Pushing Ice, and The Prefect" most of which are incredible reads, all are very good. It occurs to me that these books were to a great extent driven by the desire to produce good reads by the author, using his undoubted skills and experience both as a writer and as an astrophysicist. Maybe it's the cynic in me but could the thrust now be cash driven?
I persevered with the text but could not get at all interested in the characters or their situation. That has not happened with his previous books. I pre-ordered "Blue Remembered.." but I sent it back today, it was not worth the struggle. It was certainly not worth remembering - CHING.

"As banks struggle and businesses collapse, the science fiction writer Alastair Reynolds is making his own contribution to the flagging UK economy, signing an unprecedented 10-book deal with Gollancz worth £1m."(Guardian 22 june 2009.)

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not waste your money!, 21 Jan 2012
Gavin Mccoll-mcwha (Gosport, Hampshire.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blue Remembered Earth (Paperback)
I resisted the urge to throw this book into the bin after the final page but only just!
What a disapointment, if you were looking forward to another cracking fast paced read like
his previous novels think again! This book is dull!!!! I won't go into details about the
plot because it is so thin I would spoil what any chance you have of enjoying it, suffice to
say this 'book' stretches a short story to biblical proportions.
This is a lazy book and will be classed forever more as his worst effort, don't waste your
money wait till it appears in your local libary.

1.0 out of 5 stars not my taste, unfortunately, 16 Jan 2014
Maybe try read again when on holiday and more relaxed state of mind with no worries or stresses in my life

5.0 out of 5 stars Gift for son, 11 Mar 2012
This was a gift for my son
Delivery was very quick and he was delighted
It was just released at the right time for my gift purchase so I was delighted too - with the suggestion coming from my daughter in law

1.0 out of 5 stars Digital Rip Off, 21 Jan 2012
I have always enjoyed Alastair Reynolds books and have read most of them however I have to totally agree with the previous comments made under this title and having received a new Kindle as a present I will sadly not be purchasing this product whilst the price is set above that of the 'tree price' .

Blue Remembered Earth (Poseidons Children 1)