on 29 June 2014
A wonderful story told by a very brave man who helped Britain to beat Hitler.He had every reason to fight against Germany after their treatment of him as a Jew. I travelled with him at times, the tale is so vivid in parts. a very good read.
on 23 June 2014
Intresting book but also written very creatively as it changes between the writer and willy's memories, would recommend for anyone intrested in WW2
on 27 October 2014
My Dad was in the D Day invasions I would love to find out as much as I can. He would not talk about it and I now understand why.
on 21 February 2013
a really good read as it is an excellent story about the jewish soldiers who were in the British Army.
on 9 August 2015
A good story of human endurance.
on 19 February 2015
Good
on 30 November 2014
I was very disappointed in this book. Despite claiming a long and varied bibliography it is one of the worst researched books I have ever read. There's also the great problem about civilian authors totally misunderstanding military terminology.

I felt I was reading the regimental war diaries. There was so little information supplied about Willy Field after his return from Australia. Very poor and as a result I doubt I would ever buy anything by this author again.

Who are the "7th Royal Armoured Division" anyway? According to the author (see page 80) they're a [I]regiment with such an honoured tradition[/I]! Notwithstanding the fact that, in his own words (apparently), just one paragraph later Willy Field talks about his pride in the regiment - the 8th King's Royal Irish Hussars.