4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty well just what I needed

Published 20 months ago by Mr. John Crompton

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty well just what I needed, 7 May 2012
Mr. Peter J. Paterson (Lake District England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 For Dummies (Kindle Edition)
I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 - an excellent machine which came with minimal user information - well, no user information if we are being honest. There was no book devoted to my specific machine but I assumed that the the 10.1 for Dummies book would suit my needs. Thankfully I was right. I purchased the e-book version and loaded it onto the Tablet but also onto my laptop, and my Kindle. Even an aging computer illiterate like myself was soon able to get the best out of my tablet. A few sections of the 10.1 Dummies book did not relate to my machine but it was always obvious which bits of the book were redundant. Just a few niggles - the main one being that navigation of the e-book was not good - pity they couldn't have arranged it so it could be navigated like my daily e-newspaper - this has dropped it down to 4 stars instead of 5. Also I found some of the author's jokes didn't match my sense of humour but that is a very minor niggle. All in all a good buy which tremendously speeded up my understanding of my tablet pc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth purchasing, 24 April 2012
The Tablet comes with little instruction and this book puts flesh onto the bones of trial and error as it is an excellent guide and reference book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Much of it is not relevant, 9 April 2013
Mr. John Crompton (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Prospective buyers should be aware that not only is this book written in US rather than UK English (ditto the jokes) but the tablet being described is very different from what most people will be buying in the UK in that it is designed for conntecting to the web via the mobile phone network rather than wifi. Another thing to bear in mind that the book is rather out of date. For example there is nothing at all on the Polaris Office software which now "ships" -to use an Americanism -with the device. It is really time for an update version to be produced. But on the plus side the book does contain some useful tips which I doubt I would have ever worked out for myself.
Most definitely not worth the full price but just about worth the Amazon price as the illustrations are clear and it is well indexed for when you need to sort out a new issue quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I expected!, 21 Jan 2013
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 For Dummies (Kindle Edition)
I was struggling to get to grips with my new tablet, thinking I should have paid for an iPad. This book has opened my eyes to the potential of this gadget and every step is described in such detail, it was quite a Eureka revelation. Can't praise highly enough.

3.0 out of 5 stars Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 For Dummies Book, 31 Dec 2012
It is more basic than I thought and it covers the 10.1 OK but did not cover the Photoshop App on my new 10.1 tablet bought in December 2012. Needs updating to avoid disappointment that I have experienced

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 For Dummies (For Dummies (Lifestyles Paperback)), 15 Aug 2012
This is a very detailed book written in an easy to understand manner.It is also witty which makes it more fun to read to rather than be bombarded with facts.

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT VALUE AMAZON, 21 Dec 2012
Very helpful book will use it again and again for reference .Clear instructions and step by step ways to do things

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful!, 16 Mar 2012
Heavy to hold, but light to read and easy to follow. Did not need jokes, but did not object to them. Slightly disappointing in its accuracy - things not QUITE how it says but not too annoying. Certainly better than the only manual you get with the tab - only an online version!

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT FOR AN OLD UN, 22 Jun 2013
Too much American style wordy explanation ,compared with the EASY style of getting a message across .I did not find it particularly easy to follow, but then at 89 and a learner what do you expect . MORE ILLUSTRATIONS !!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what it says on the tin., 29 April 2013
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 For Dummies (Kindle Edition)
This is a book about the Galaxy Tab which has not been updated to cover the many changes between that and the newer Galaxy 10.1, the title ix a serious misrepresentation of the contents.
For example, the author admits in the intro that there is no section on the S Pen, all screen images are fro the Tab with none that I saw being taken from the 10.1.
If you have a Galaxy 10.1 buy something else.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 For Dummies