5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful
I spent 90 at a local college on a dressmaking and tailoring course. I should have saaved my money and bought this book much earlier as I learned more from it than I did on my course. I think this book would suit beginners and those with intermediate dressmaking skills.
Published 17 months ago by AthenaNI

2.0 out of 5 stars Not exactly 'complete'
Published 6 months ago by Anna Fields

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful, 4 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Complete Photo Guide to Perfect Fitting (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting reference book, 8 Jun 2013
An interesting reference book, well illustrated with step by step photographs rather than illustrations. Because it's a book on fitting, I like the fact that it doesn't use model-like women. Just women of all shapes and ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to Follow, 2 Jan 2013
This ia a great book for anyone who needs to make changes to commercial patterns to fit their own body shape. It has lots of hints and tips. I have teacher who normally fits me but if she is not available I can now do this with a friend. the instructions are easy to follow for beginners and intermediate sewers

2.0 out of 5 stars Not exactly 'complete', 10 Jan 2014
This book certainly has a lot of photos, and plenty of pictures of good/poor fitting. The author does have a very particular style though - make muslins over and over again (she says she averages 3-5 per garment) until you get a good fit! I don't know about other home sewers, but this certainly isn't practical for me - I wanted a reference that explained how to get it right the first time, and this book doesn't cover that.

I was also disappointed that a number of subjects I would have expected in a 'complete' guide were entirely missing:
- Tips for making adjustments to already existing garments
- Any kind of fabric-related considerations (bias cut garments, stretch, etc), and how to modify patterns to suit fabrics they were not originally intended for
- Male clothing of any kind (despite several of the acknowledgements being for male sewers)
- Pointers for fitting yourself beyond 'ask a friend' (the book focuses almost exclusively on fitting 'customers')
- Using interfacing/boning/padding to add structure/definition (the only structural item mentioned was shoulder pads - lots of)
- Photos of finished garments showing the effect of particular decisions/recommendations (though there were line-drawings)
- Fitting considerations related to fastenings (zips, buttons, clasps)
- Drawing up patterns from a garment that you know fits well
- The explanation of the relationship between a muslin and a flat pattern could have done with more explaining than 'if you mark it up carefully, it works'

Instead, the book is structured in the form of a basic introductory section, followed by a number of 'case studies' where all of the steps and adjustments for fitting a particular garment to a particular body type are described. Credit - she does use 'real women' as models, complete with sloping shoulders, slouches, and not insignificant bellies. I would say the book might be useful for someone who finds it difficult to figure out why a garment pulls or has excess fabric in a given place. Personally though, I found the book was excessively based on a trial-and-error philosophy, and not enough on maths and materials.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Yet, 26 Aug 2012
This is one of the best books I have seen for creating a really good fit. For perfectionists. One needs a lot of patience to achieve a really good fit but this book will give you all the information you need.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection Every Time, 28 Aug 2012
In my bespoke work I come across many 'body types', each with their own, let's emphasise the great and wonderful, and lets disguise those areas no-one else needs to know about. Sarah's book 'Perfect Fitting' accompanied with the excellent photographs does just that, and more. The detailed explanations, before and after, is great for both beginners and professionals alike, its my reference and guide book, that I wouldn't be without.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very clear and logical, 26 Aug 2013
Shop bought clothes seldom fit well but I've had the same problems with home made ones and have had limited success in trying to alter patterns. This book has provided real insight into how patterns work and how they can be adapted to make clothes that both fit properly and flatter particular figure types.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Fitting, 23 May 2013
On opening this book you are immediately taken with the clarity of the photography, explanations and instructions on how to proceed by the right means and methods of adjusting any pattern to suit the individual. Wish I'd had the luxury of obtaining this book years ago, It would have saved me from abandoning projects along with buckets of tears and mountains of frustration. I think every novice or beginner who is interested in making well fitted clothes for oneself or friends should purchase this book. I only wish it were in CD format, now that would be the bees knees.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 18 April 2013
Excellent book which covers all the necessary material to get patters to fit - I love it and it is now my main source of info on pattern cutting

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped me with my client work, 26 Jan 2014
As a designer who has more vision than technical knowledge, this book packed with clear instructions and visuals helped me to create a perfect fit for a men's jacket that had darts and a mandarin collar. I high recommend this book because nothing is worse than a beautiful design which fits really poorly. You need this book!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›