on 20 October 2010
This book has nearly driven me to ditraction. It's harsh, not always accurate (3 separate health visitors and my doctor have all told me in the strictest terms that it is normal for a baby under six months to wake for a night feed once per night- Tracy Hogg writes as though any baby over three months still waking during the night has clearly not been parented correctly) and is very badly written- I found the sections confusing and not logical at all.

HOWEVER, the shush pat method works. It tooks us ages to perfect it and get it right for us- again, the style of writing is confusing. The EASY routine makes sense too but your baby might not do it exactly as the author describes.

BUT be really careful with this book- I have found it to be like a sentence around my neck at times- Tracy Hogg's answer to everything is that we must have done some accidental parenting.. I hate this term- it's unhelpful, judgmental and horribly smug. I teach children and see "accidental parenting" all the time so I understand what she means, yet the accusatory tone is unhelpful and completely misjudged- especially when you are sleep deprived and trying to do your best for your little bundle.

In summary- cotains some really good ideas, but the best thing would be take what you need.. then toss it onto the fire and go and enjoy your baby!
0Comment| 100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 May 2016
Written for women who don't do any other housework- but only care for babies. Pretty unrealistic for most of population. anyone with a bit of common sense would work it out themselves as a first-time parent, so I found it pretty useless on a practical scale given that my little one is 3months now and common sense did kick in in my household pretty quickly.
on 13 November 2013
This book was recommended by a friend. I was sceptical at first as my baby was not a sleeper. 4 weeks later and my little boy sleeps regularly throughout the day and 11 hours at night!! It was a EASY!! (Apologies for the pun!)
I would recommend this book but advise you allow some flexibility to suit the needs of your baby
on 17 February 2010
I was crying, my baby was crying, this book made us miserable! Babies' personality is not taken into consideration at all. And they are all different. I just don't like the idea of training my baby.
on 3 April 2016
This literally changed our lives! Started using the techniques at 4 months and he started sleeping through within 3 days from previously waking 3 or 4 times a night and needing us. Wish we had used it sooner.
on 3 January 2016
It just doesn't work for me. I read the book but don't agree personally with some things as I go by my baby. I am too soft for this sleep training rubbish. Buy it if you don't want to give dummy to your baby and are prepared to listen your baby to cry and not go by what he needs. Otherwise it's money wasted.
on 28 February 2016
Really useful and realistic.
The scenarios are good and relevant.
We found it worked for us & we finally got some sleep. Only thing is the steps to some of the skills are long winded and the author does go on a bit. Just cut the the chase. These parents are tired.
on 29 November 2012
As with the other books by this author I found the tone very school ma'am ish and condescending. In addition, the PU/PD technique did not work for my daughter, she went ballistic so all in all a waste of money.
on 25 September 2014
A few useful tips but if you're already struggling a bit this book will only make you feel worse. In large parts this book is condescending, negative, and points the blame back at the parent instead of being empathetic.
After reading i still have unanswered questions where Tracy Hogg has neglected to expand or provide a different scenario. Save yourself the money and don't bother.
on 20 August 2015
I thought it was great with my first but then realised that it's not that simple with two under two and chronic ill health, left me feeling distinctly 'accidental' and rubbish! Avoid like the plague unless you only have one and intend to have no flexibility in your lif until your child hits 6! Some sleep , some less so !!!