5.0 out of 5 stars Splendid and fresh collection, 6 April 2015
This review is from: Leaving Eden (Audio CD)
I came into this stuff through my friend's recommendation. And I didn't regret. A fabulous blend of folk and blues music with its roots in the Irish and black American folk traditions. Group members instrumental performances (mainly banjos, guitars, violin, mandolin and cello together with percussion and woodwinds) are truly splendid and the voice of Rhiannon Giddens with contributions by Dom Flemons and Leyla McCalla sounds with original timbre and it is really enthralling. One of the best "folk" or "world music" albums in my collection. My strong recommendations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 July 2014
great album

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant and beautiful, 2 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Leaving Eden [VINYL] (Vinyl)
A brilliant vinyl, it was a gift for my boyfriend and he loved it. The sound quality is exceptional, you can hear the music more clearly on this than the mp3 version.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 31 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Leaving Eden (Audio CD)
This is the first CD I have from these guys which I bought after hearing a single track on the radio. I listen to the CD from time to time but not one of my top groups. Might try another album from them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic album have listened to it over and over, 29 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Leaving Eden (Audio CD)
Loved the album so authentic and lively and a breath of fresh air musically. Will now buy a copy for a friend who really appreciates banjo and this genre

5.0 out of 5 stars Americana at it's best!, 5 Oct. 2013
Ms. S. Males "sarahc" (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Leaving Eden (Audio CD)
Brilliant collection of songs and tunes. Saw the band at Shrewsbury where they performed the whole set live and the cd is a great reminder of a special gig.

5.0 out of 5 stars Now and again a great album comes along.............., 10 Sept. 2013
JimB (Aberdeen, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Leaving Eden (Audio CD)
Never heard of this band, but they were on the media system of a long haul airline.
I was curious by the name and so decided to give it a listen.
Normally just zip through these albums giving a few tracks a listen before forwarding to the next.
Not this time though, listened to the whole album twice on the way over and again on the way back.
Purchased it as soon as I returned home.
One of these bands you think should be showcased on Jools. Guess what? A trip on to Youtube and there they have already been.
One that I missed.
Loads of toe tapping jigs and reels but what a voice Rhiannon Giddens has.
Truly mesmerising album. I thoroughly recommend it, no matter what your normal tastes are.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great music, 13 Aug. 2013
Foot tapping, fun loving, liven your day, make you smile music. Great to do your ironing too or just to relax with

5.0 out of 5 stars LEAVING EDEN, 4 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Leaving Eden (Audio CD)
My first taste of this album was in January 2012 a month before the release at The Folk Dance Society in London, where The CCD were playing some of the tracks were as you would expect dropped into the set and they performed them as they'd always been playing them. It was also my first taste of the new line up with Leyla McCalla coming in on cello and Hubby Jenkins playing more traditional CCD styled instruments of guitar, madolin banjo and bones. When they played the title track "Leaving Eden" the mournful cello, the slow waltz timing of Dom Flemons frailing banjo and the sad beautiful lyrics performed by the amazing voice of Rhiannon Giddens, made me feel emotional. Never before had I got emotional over a song without first having a broken heart. That alone was enough for me to pre-order this album. It was highly unlikely that when I got my hands on this album that I would be dissapointed and I wasn't. The question is would this offering be better than my first CCD purchase the Grammy award winning "Genuine Negro Jig"? The answer was no it isn't better it was equally as good. This is a new selection of traditional music interjected with a few modern offerings performed by a new stronger line-up. From the pop styled "Country Girl" original to the reggae rhythms of the instrumental "Mahalla" a wide variety of music providing entertainment and education in a way only perhaps this talented bunch of musicians could.

4.0 out of 5 stars Carolina Chocolate Drops, 8 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Leaving Eden (Audio CD)
Heard tracks on Bob Harris Country R2 and resolved to purchase. Not as amazing as I thought it would be, but enjoyable nevertheless.

Leaving Eden
Leaving Eden by Carolina Chocolate Drops (Audio CD - 2012)