4.4 out of 5 stars3,314
Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 18 December 2012
With the impressive "Casino royale" to the disappointing "Quantum of solace", Daniel Craig's third outing as James Bond in "Skyfall" is probably his best. The reason why this is his best is because the movie has a great storyline, there is the entertaining bond theme tune, impressive nasty performance from Javier Bardem, comic performance from Ben Whishaw as Q and last but not least the classic Aston Martin DB5 which was used in "Goldfinger", which makes this an origianl old school bond film. Also the action sequences are very entertaining such as the sequence when Bond is chasing after bad guy Raoul Silver in the London underground and the action sequence towards the end which takes place in Bonds house which he was brought up. Sam Mendes who directed some great films such as "American beauty" and "Road to perdition" does a wonderful job in directing this movie. Spainish actor Javier Bardem does a superb performance as the nasty Raoul Silver who steals every scene he's in. It was also good to see Q in this movie which Ben Whishaw done a very good performance as the geeky gadget man and this is unbelievably the first Daniel Craig Bond movie to have Q in it. If you are a fan of James Bond then this movie is well worth watching and I would give it 8/10.
66 comments|64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 May 2013
In my humble opinion this is the best Bond ever, followed by the the Connery ones. Action is spot on and whoole film has a more believable feel to it which only adds to the excitment and enjoyment.

Would recommend to any Bond fan but also to anyone who loves an action thriller.

Havoing digital copy is a bonus too.
on 4 May 2013
To add my voice, Craig definitely hit his peak with this his third film in his stint as Bond. What I like about this is the more simple feel to the movie, more character development, and a very earthy feel to the scenes etc. Less overblown than some recent efforts, this film reminds me of From Russia With Love, and that is huge plus.
on 16 October 2014
annoyed at the demise of Judy Dench as M. Think I'm getting too old for James Bond.
on 22 April 2013
This is an ok Bond film, but it is way too over hyped, so don't get carried away by that. Or even feel you should sacrifice fifteen-twenty pounds of your own money for one film, because of mesmerized film critics.

Plot:
Bond's loyalty to M (JUDI DENCH) is tested as her past returns to haunt her. 007 must track down and destroy the threat, no matter how personal the cost. When Bond's latest assignment goes gravely wrong and agents around the world are exposed, MI6 is attacked forcing M to relocate the agency. These events cause her authority and position to be challenged by Mallory (RAPLH FIENNES), the new chairman of the intelligence and security committee. With MI6 now compromised from both inside and out, M is left with one ally she can trust: Bond (DANIEL CRAIG) 007 takes to the shadows - aided only by field agent, Eve (NAOMIE HARRIS) - following a trail to the mysterious Silva (JAVIER BARDEM), whose lethal and hidden motives have yet to reveal themselves.

It's better than "Quantum Of Solace", but isn't a cut over "Casino Royale" - no where near, which I believe to be one of the best Bond films ever made. SKYFALL has a good plot, with an intriguing villain, excellent actors and is beautifully shot on location, but there is just something fundamentally dissatisfying about this film. It doesn't exactly feel like a movie, kind of disjointed and at times slow. The ending is good though, with the house. However, in the end you come out from it feeling "OK", you haven't seen the best film ever, nor the worst, you feel in-between.

In my opinion, the Pierce Bronson movies are the most superior, "Goldeneye" in particular. Unfortunately SKYFALL isn't as fulfilling, not saying its bad, but nothing outstanding. I would recommend this movie to all fans of BOND, and fans that aren't, as this feels different to the rest, like all Daniel Craig's instalments. It is an entertaining film, its above average, but no where near as good as people say it is.
on 5 April 2013
Firstly I am amazed that this film has received such mixed reviews (look at the number of 1 star reviews for example).

I have to admit that I got bored with bond around the time Pierce Brosnan took over. Not because I thought he was a bad bond or even that the films weren't any good. It is just that after so many Bond films I guess I ran out of steam.

I stopped watching these action thrillers for a number of years until the Bourne trilogy came out. With the exception of the shaky camera work (which spoils it for me) these films were excellent. Intriguing plots and excellent action sequences - it all just seemed fresher than the stale old Bond.

I watched Casino Royale because of the hype surrounding the new Bond Daniel Craig. I thought it was OK but still lacked something. Quantum of Solace was just awful (can anyone who hasn't watched the film since it was originally released actually remember any of the plot line?).

I was therefore a bit hesitant when I watched Skyfall. I knew it had received excellent reviews and that colleagues at work were saying it was the best bond film for a long time but I was worried it had been over hyped.

I can honestly say that it was like a breath of fresh air. Bond films were interesting again! The plot was great - no more Russian/North Korean/etc. baddies. This time - a disenchanted ex agent - was different and I thought the character was really quite disturbing (unlike a lot of Bond baddies in recent years who were just dull).

The plot was great - a lot revealed about Bond himself, new characters introduced and some of the old cleared out. The new Q is an excellent actor (see him in Perfume if you don't believe me) and made a refreshing change from the inappropriately farcical John Cleese version. The new M is a great actor. The new Moneypenny is no worse than some we've had in the past.

By the end I just thought "Wow!" This was such a revelation after the last film. I honestly thought the Bond franchise was on its last legs but this film has given it a new lease of life.

I really can't understand the 1 star reviews (having read quite a few of them) as this film is the best of the Daniel Craig's and one of the best of all time (and I am not just going along with the crowd as per the "emperor's new clothes" 1-star reviewer suggests).

I am actually looking forward to the next Bond film - an emotion I haven't felt for a long time.
on 5 March 2013
I took my son to the premier of this film,making it 3 out of 3 for Daniel Craig,now his favorite Bond.While I grew up through the 60's and 70' and enjoyed the original 007 as played by Sean Connery,the one of and vastly underrated performance by George Lazenby,the farce of Rodger Moore playing Simon Templar playing 007 and the mature performances of Timothy Dalton before arriving at last at the super smooth, super cool Pierce Brosnan,who brought 007 into the 21st century and put the ailing franchise firmly back on the world stage and definitely deserved better treatment by the directors and producers.Mr Brosnan should have had more than a measly 4 outings and deserved them but times move on and Daniel Craig is a worthy successor to Pierce Brosnan.as the new 007 in his 3rd outing he embodies everything Ian Flemming envisaged all those years ago.Charming and smart when needed.A cold cool calculated killer when M requires it and sometimes when she doesn't the new 007 faces his latest challenge with relentless skill and dogged determination against all odds.old familiar characters missing from Mr Craig's first 2 outings return to the fold.The stunts are amazing,at times downright jaw dropping.A brilliant plot that had everyone in the cinema on the edge of their seats.
BAFTA quite rightly awarded Skyfall Best British Made Film Of The Year,a first for a Bond Movie after 50 years.this is certainly not the end for Mr Craig but more than likely an opening for several more high class movies as 007 if he's up for the demanding challenge of continuing the high standards he himself has set.
Brilliant in every way.More please and soon!
on 22 February 2013
If you find this review helpful ... please click the little "yes" box below.

My wife bought the DVD as soon as it came out, and we watched it the same evening as a family (with two daughters aged 14 and 15). Everybody enjoyed it ... which is quite an achievement. I won't bother going into the plot or the music because there are hundreds of other reviews that cover that, but I will mention four things that I particularly liked about Skyfall.

1. Although Skyfall is clearly an 'action' movie, it isn't just an action movie. The action supports the movie rather than defines it. There are several fantastical action sequences that require a complete suspension of belief, but, they enhance the movie. They are true Bond moments that seem to borrow from the old Sean Connery days of Bond movies.

2. In recent years it seems that movie makers have continually tried to reinvent how to shoot a movie; with strange angles, skewed horizons, rapid scene changes etc. It's annoying and a 'cheap' way of being different without actually applying any creativity. The scenes in Skyfall are beautifully framed and shot with a simplicity that is both charming and refreshing.

3. It's a family movie. By that I mean that the sex, violence and profanity are kept to a minimum. I don't object to any of those three elements in movie making - they're part of life and often enhance a scenes impact. But, it's nice to see that entertaining movies can be made without their excessive use. It is rated as a '12' and there is one instance of strong language, so it's worth noting that. But, this is really the profanity. Even the sexual innuendo that is typical of Bond movies is minimal.

4. The Aston Martin DB5 ... <sigh>
on 9 March 2013
I hold my hands up and say, I've never been a bond fan, however when Mr Craig came on the scene that changed. As for Skyfall this has got to be the best bond film ever, gritty, smart and intense. Blu ray just adds to the quality of the film and sound wise through a quality surround system you'll be taken to another world of sound.
on 8 March 2013
Daniel Craig gives a faultless performance as 007 and I look forward to his next Bond Film,- but this is not the best Bond Film by a long way! Most of the Previous Bond outings have been delivered with a slightly humouress and light touch. Not this one! - far too dark! The production team have started to take themselves too seriously.I welcome the fact that the next Production will have a different Director.