4.0 out of 5 stars Small but does the job
This is my first mixer, previously I made cakes by hand so it was always going to be an improvement. I purchased Kenwood as it is a well known brand and my mum has a Kenwood Chef that's lasted her 20 years, but sadly I didn't have the money or space for one of those.
Published on 18 Jun. 2012 by Gweniepennie

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine 1st ever food mixer
Published 12 months ago by MJ Birmingham

4.0 out of 5 stars Small but does the job, 18 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Kenwood Prospero KM283 (KM280 series) Stand Mixer - Silver (Kitchen & Home)
The mixer is smaller than I imagined, it's sort of the size of a home cappuccino machine, smaller than my sewing machine, and takes up only a tiny bit more space than my mason cash mixing bowl. So it's nicely compact which if you have a small kitchen like me is a brilliant thing.
The mixing bowl holds enough for one large cake. Since having it about 6 weeks ago I've made cupcakes, sponge cake, cherry & almond cake, lemon drizzle cake and chocolate cake, each being enough to fill two shallow 20cm tins, a deep one or a loaf tin. The mixer was fine for all except when I added the cherries to the almond cake mix it seemed to struggle a tad but didn't have any actual problems - was just noisier.
Compared to a classic, bigger Kenwood Chef all the parts did seem a bit smaller and flimsier. The K beater is solid metal but is smaller than my hand and you clip it in and out like you would with a hand whisk, but the mixer itself is sturdier. It does move quite a bit when in use, the head gear bobs up and down a little but there are suckers on the base to keep it from walking off the counter.
It has lots of attachments, a plastic blender, a plastic food processor with lots of blades and a juicer. It is great value to get all these with it but must admit I haven't used any yet! The only thing I didn't get which it said on the summary is a spatula, but I can live without that.
For me as an occasional one of cake baker it has been brilliant. If you do lots of cakes in one go you'll probably need something bigger as it will only hold enough for one cake in the bowl. It is pretty, fits up the corner nicely and is easy to clean. The only annoying thing is that the switch to unlock the head and so raise the beater from the bowl is at the back which can be awkward when you have cake mess on your hands. I've also found with drier mixes you do have to stop it and spatula the mix of the sides and beaters before going again to ensure it all gets mixed in, but not a problem all the time.
I was pleased with my purchase as it has speeded up my baking and I now do lots more. Hoping to try out the food processor for home made coleslaw next!
Oh and finally, it arrives in a HUGE box, to fit in all the parts which is deceptive to how big the mixer is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect mixer for home baking, 3 Oct. 2014
This mixer is just perfect! I'm an amateur baker / cake decorator so I didn't need a large mixer.
Having said that this mixer is quite big to me, from one full bowl of batter I managed to make 3 cakes and 24 buns... Not too bad ;)
It's a great machine for anyone who loves home baking.
I've read loads of reviews slating this mixer, but if you use it with the thought in mind that it isn't a professional chef mixer, then it's just right.
I have mixed bread dough and kept to the 500g max that it can take and contrary to many other reviews it coped very well and showed no signs of 'struggling'.
I was impressed that it has so many attachments, and they all look and feel good quality. (I haven't had chance to use them all as there are so many!)
I read also that others complained that dough was getting stuck in where the attachment 'plugs in'. However there is a little rubber seal provided and it stops any of that happening.
It is a little noisy but I've never had another mixer to compare it to, to know for sure.

The size of the machine is just right for home use as it sits on my Worktop no problem, although I do have to pull it out from under a cupboard if I want to raise it. And it has a nice little cable today at the back too ;)
It is super easy to clean which is always a bonus!

All in all a fantastic mixer for any budding bakers out there, and a great price too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb compact all rounder!, 25 Jun. 2012
R. Wallace "DrK" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Kenwood created the Prospero range as a compact and "affordable" budget version of the classic Chef Food Processor, a giant in both the literal and performance stakes used by both the novice and professional cook in 1000's of homes. So when the far from compact box arrived on our doorstep containing the KM283 we were keen to test drive this little brother version, the key question being, could she still cut the dough and compete with her much larger sibling?

Well, first impressions were good, firstly, there is no appearance of cheapness here whatsoever, Kenwood have cleverly given the entire machine a brushed steel look, despite the fact that the bowl aside (which oozes quality), the main hub of the KM283 is plastic. Secondly the KM283 is most definitely compact, a clever ergonomic design ensures that functionality hasn't been cut to save space, the 283 could easily be perched on a medium work surface and left there, bearing little more volume than a large 4 slot toaster. This undoubtedly will be a key selling point as for many the thought of storing a large cumbersome machine where space is at a premium will greatly detract from its use!

With the already established and popular KM265 on the market, why would one chose the 283? Firstly (and surprisingly) it is cheaper but secondly the newer version boasts a 900 watt motor, rather than the 650 watts offered by the 265. Bearing in mind that usually the more power to the motor the greater the longevity (not to mention greater mixing capability), at a good £30 cheaper, the 283 already wins in the comparative stakes. The 283 also has variable speed which can be gradually increased as opposed to offering fixed speed settings, thus providing total control over mixing tasks whilst avoiding jerks and mess. Add 2 attachment points that can operate at different speeds and for specific tasks and I'd say that if it is a compact, versatile all rounder that is sought, you can't go too far wrong with the 283!

In use we were equally impressed, OK, it is not the quietest of machines, but has a sturdy, robust feel and perhaps best of all it is easy to interchange the various attachments at speed and that all important splash guard works wonders! Gripes, all but a few, would have been nice to have a glass as opposed to plastic blender attachment, ditto, even if the price was slightly more a proper juicer (as opposed to citrus press) attachment would have transformed the 283 into a total all rounder (although I believe the juicer attachment can be purchased separately). End of the day though the greatest feature of the 283 is that you can literally dispose of all those superfluous mini gadgets that clutter your drawers and carry out all the bending, kneading, whisking, and processing tasks most average cooks will ever face in a life time and all within a reasonably small space. Add to this the price tag and at under £150 the 283 must be one of the best designed budget all rounders on the market today, perfectly designed for the smaller kitchen yet perfectly capable of delivering top quality, mess and hassle free results. For these reasons (and small gripes aside) anything less than 5 stars would simply equate to penny pinching!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the DOUGH!!, 4 Aug. 2012
I spent about six months looking for a stand mixer, as I was terrified to let my 5 year old daughter loose with a hand mixer, and found that when "we" baked cakes..... it was "me" baking and her watching. I looked at the kitchen aid artisan, the Kmix stand mixer, and the chef titanium (as im a gadget freak). All of the above are probably better products than the prospero, but are between double and four times as expensive. That, coupled with justifying to the wife why I had spent £400+ on a mixer, led me to go for the prospero with a view to replacing it next year with a more expensive one.

I recieved the mixer and was suprised at how good it looked. It is not as solid as the Kmix or chef titanium, but for someone who doesnt use it day in and day out it is a great quality product. The fact that you get a food processor, juicer and blender are a bonus too, and i have found all three to be effective and of a decent quality.

The big bonus with this is that me and my daughter have now made a cake, a fougasse and pizza bases using the mixers beater, whisk and dough hooks........ and she was all hands on!! I was very impressed at the dough hook. It looks like there will be more bread making in our house from now on, and more importantly, my daughter can SAFELY get more hands on!! At the start of this review, i said i bought it with a view to replacing it once i have proven to the wife it will get used....... but this is all we need and a bit more..... so it looks like i saved myself a few bob!

4.0 out of 5 stars it is what its worth, 3 Jan. 2014
The title may make you think Oh its worth the amount I paid but these machines have been seen in shops with a much higher price tag.
The machine itself does a great job in mixing all the usual ingredients, the only gripe I have is that you have to stop te machine to scrape around the bowl to make sure that all is mixed well.
Pastry? it was great. The machine comes with heaps of extra's & hopefully one day I will get through all of them, what I do like is the stability of the machine & all be it compact in size it does sport a 4.3 litre bowl so its enough for the domestic house hold.
Definitely one to consider & I would recommend I am in no way disappointed with this machine & hope to get many years usage out of this little time saver.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value and performance for a multi function kitchen appliance., 10 Dec. 2014
Bookie (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I'm surprised and delighted by the capability of this machine.

Ok, it's not a Chef. But neither is it Chef price and for an entry level, multi function appliance, it does the business. The food mixer has the capability to produce bread or cake mix in quantity suitable for a small family. The dough hook works well, producing a consistently well mixed dough ball. Some reviewers have commented that the mixer head lifts during operation; this is quite normal and I've used this function with doughs which were a little too wet and heavy without problem. Adding a small amount of flour during mixing brought the mix back to better consistency and the end result was great. NB, there's a rubber circle which should be attached to the mixer head before inserting the dough hook. The piece is pictured as a part in the instructions but there's no guidance as to when or how to use. It stops extraneous dough collecting at the hook head where the spindle fits into the mixer. I thought the K whisk seemed a little lightweight, but it made short work of creaming. The whisk is untested, but I'm confident it's up to the job. Stainless steel bowl is brilliant. Easy to clean, looks good and the plastic spatula supplied soon cleans out any residue.

The blender is powerful and effective. Plastic rather than glass, but it's fast and makes short work of anything dropped into it. Easy to attach and very simple to clean.

The processor was a little tricky initially. It all seemed to fit properly, but then didn't work. The handle of the processor needs to align with the W in Kenwood on the appliance. It will all assemble in other positions, but won't engage the drive mechanism unless the handle us in place correctly. Once I'd resolved that, it was all systems go and the supplied blade and discs are great for coarse and fine grating and chopping. It'll do virtually everything you'd want.

The citrus press is plastic, but it's strong and works really well. Removes every bit of flesh from the fruit, effortlessly and in a couple of seconds.

As for the looks, clean lines, compact and so convenient. It'll happily grace any work top, even where space is tight. Because it's relatively light and easy to handle, it's no hard task o lift it in and out of a cupboard. It's convenient; far more so than the big daddy Chef and all the better for that. Great price and outstanding value as a kitchen workhorse. I love it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine 1st ever food mixer, 8 Jan. 2014
This is my 1st ever purchase of a food mixer. I've made do with a hand held mixer for years & thought it was time for an upgrade. I chose this product as the reviews were ok & I didn't want to pay a huge amount for something I might not use that often. I also wanted something that wouldn't take up too much room on the worktop. The mixer arrived quickly & was very well packaged. It's sturdy & has plenty of accessories. I've only used the k beater so far but have checked all the other accessories fit & work. The k beater works fine but doesn't pick up all of the mix off the bowl so you do need to stop & scrape the sides regularly. I also agree with other reviewers about dry ingredients being propelled out of the hole in the top of the bowl cover. I found this to be the case when making pastry as the ingredients are mainly dry. It's really a case of trial & error & I suppose that's true of any new kitchen appliance. The parts are easy to remove and wash which is a bonus. Overall I'm reasonably happy with it & I'm sure the more I use it, the easier it will get to master.

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I didn't buy one of the dearer ones - this one has everything I need, 14 May 2014
C. Whatmough (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
I was a bit wary of buying the Prospero as the reviews of it are pretty mixed but I'm so glad I did. I can't stop baking cakes. I've had it for about a month now and it has worked a treat and mixes up all the ingredients perfectly, leaving no unmixed ingredients in the bottom of the bowl. I was going to buy one of the Kenwood Chef's at nearly £400 which didn't even come with a food processor anything and I'm so glad I didn't now as i can't see what they would do which this one doesn't. Everything I have made in it so far has worked a treat although, word of warning, the recipes on the Kenwood World website are a bit dodgy and give you some incorrect ingredient measurements! Anyway, must dash - the oven has just beeped to tell me my peanut butter cake is ready!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for weekend baking., 1 July 2012
JennyD (Manchester, Uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm no expert on mixers or any kind of kitchen appliances for that matter but i was definitely pleased with this product when i made a Victoria Sponge & a Bakewell Tart yesterday.

Pro's:

Suckers on the bottom of the machine stop any movement when in use.
Easy to plug in and use, plus its compact design means it fits onto most surfaces.
Thoughtful design includes hole underneath the bowl which prevents anything from getting trapped in the bottom of the machine- it simply falls onto the surface underneath.
Fantastic utensils both well made and more importantly easy to clean!
Love how the blender and bowl simply fit onto the top of the machine- just a great compact and clean design.
Con's:

It does seem to take two people to lower the top in place if you're using the lid. It doesn't seem like the lid actually clips on to anything. Me and my mother ended up having to have one of us hold the lid on and press the top down as the other person presses the button which actually lets the top down. Abit clumsy!

Overall (in my limited experience) a decent machine for baking, making pastry, blending etc. Will definitely be using again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good buy - excellent value, 6 July 2014
Just excellent. Feels more plastic than the top range Kenwoods, but everything works very well and is a more sensible size for a small kitchen. More than enough power to knead bread dough properly with dough hook, as well as whisking up a storm with real high speed.
Comes with food processor, separate liquidiser and separate citrus press as well as whisk, dough hook and "K-beater".
Although the unit itself fits into a worktop corner (and looks good) you need to think about where to store all the other bits when not using them (some blades/beaters and link pieces could easily be lost).I'd be interested in a bespoke storage box with a place for everything. Dough (especially) will get up into where the beater inserts, where it is very hard to clean it out. Otherwise very easy to clean and design keeps things where they should be and not splashed about. Overall, though, I am delighted with this and using it a lot.

Kenwood Prospero KM283 (KM280 series) Stand Mixer - Silver