5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful.
An excellent account of a now vanished, and very hard, way of life.
The author, while not totally dispassionate, gives a fair account of what must have been a very tough life. Despite that toughness he obviously enjoyed the life and the people that it brought him into contact with.
Published on 16 Oct 2008 by S. Maxwell

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but needs better editing
Fascinating for puffer enthusiasts but poorly structured. A better standard of English would have made reading it much more enjoyable.
Published 14 months ago by Eclectic music lover

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful., 16 Oct 2008
S. Maxwell "Sam Maxwell" (Newark England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Last of the Puffermen (Paperback)
An excellent account of a now vanished, and very hard, way of life.
I suppose I ought to mention Para Handy in connection with this book. I love the Para Handy tales but this book is alredy higher in my estimation than those. It is that good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and educational, 24 Dec 2012
This review is from: Last of the Puffermen (Kindle Edition)
If you're a fan of Para Handy then you must read this. The description of life on the puffers and it's characters is first class. I was disappointed when I came to the end. I am perhaps somewhat biased as I was fortunate enough to be the person who keyed the text initially but although I obviously read as I keyed I have read this again and again. This book has also been passed between members of my family. A true, amusing and exceptional book!!

5.0 out of 5 stars last of the puffermen, 28 April 2012
This review is from: Last of the Puffermen (Paperback)
i purchased this for my step-son,he is over the moon with the book,very informative, and in very good condition,also very quick dispatch

5.0 out of 5 stars THE PUFFERS, 22 Feb 2011
Mr. James Hughes (northern ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Last of the Puffermen (Paperback)
Great book,detailed just as they happened.Realy enjoyed this book as i worked with the author many years ago,Well done KEITH.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 13 Jan 2014
Amazon Customer "Angus Og" (Scotland The Last Colony) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Last of the Puffermen (Kindle Edition)
I am of an age and from an island served by these puffers.Very true.Very nostalgic and sad SCotland wasn't independant and we would still have a puffer/coastal fleet//anothe Union benefit ?

5.0 out of 5 stars Good cargo of memories, 4 Jan 2014
S. Watkin "Steve W" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Last of the Puffermen (Kindle Edition)
The book is an enjoyable recollection of time at sea on buffers and coasters. A record of social and marine history as well but not in the dry academic sense. Having sailed those waters 30 years ago on the grey funnel line the places were a nostalgic luck back. A thoroughly enjoyable read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Last of the Puffermen, 7 Nov 2013
This review is from: Last of the Puffermen (Kindle Edition)
A great insight into a lost service to the community of the West Coast islands. The author creates a wonderful atmosphere and brings to life this unique service to the far flung population of those rugged islands. Yet another piece of Britain's heritage that has fallen foul of short-sighted visionaries. What a shame!

5.0 out of 5 stars Real skipper real story., 8 Oct 2013
This review is from: Last of the Puffermen (Kindle Edition)
Well told and readable story of the decline of the Puffers and those who worked them. Next best thing to being in a bar having a dram and just listening to him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Last of the Puffermen, 25 Aug 2013
This review is from: Last of the Puffermen (Kindle Edition)
I remember these old puffers while I working on a East Coast fishing boat in the Firth of Clyde. Never had to buy coal for our cooking stove. A wee fry of fish and the coal bucket was filled. Thanks for the great memories
B Buchanan..

4.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgic, 22 July 2013
This review is from: Last of the Puffermen (Kindle Edition)
I read this a couple of weeks ago. I found that I was picking my kindle up at every opportunity to read this book such is the pull of the book. Whilst I do not remember or have any close contact with the long gone puffermen, this book brings you into contact , with the hardy men that sailed on these vessels. Keith started of as a deck boy / Peggy / cook. He worked his way up from the bottom right to the top eventually becoming captain. During this time he watched progress decimate the industry, finally progress overtook it. The obvious comparison would be Para Handy, but this is more than a tongue in cheek comedy. This is a true life experience.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›