5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful & well written
Published 16 months ago by Gem

3.0 out of 5 stars Stretched Out But Useful
Some very helpful suggestions to help the drink-addicted sufferer who is fed up with being a slave to alcohol but I think the book's impact is lessened by it being too long and rambling.
Published 6 months ago by Kindle Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful & well written, 26 Mar 2013
Gem (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seven Days Sober: A Guide to Discovering What You Really Think About Your Drinking (Kindle Edition)
Unlike many other 'road to recovery' authors, Meredith is a professional writer & this shows in the way her book flows and is engaging from the first page to the last. She's managed to reach a great balance between her personal story (very highly functional alcoholic) and practical advice suitable for everyone who feels like a break from alcohol for a week might be a useful time to reflect on their relationship with alcohol. It has certainly so far been an eye-opener for me. Her writing is not in the slightest patronising & I can highly recommend this book for everyone who suspects they are not in total control of their drinking. My perspective on my drinking has changed through reading this book & I now feel very motivated to change. Thank you Meredith:)

5.0 out of 5 stars Comforting and Motivating, 29 July 2013
As a binge drinker I wouldn't classify myself as an alcoholic as Meredith certainly was, more of a "problem" drinker. Nevertheless, I found an awful lot in Seven days Sober that has helped me, the bulk of this being reassurance that I'm not the only person on the planet with this problems and guess what, her fears and excuses have a strong correspondance to mine; probably to yours also.

The book is very well written and entertaining, good to read even if you're not trying to kick the booze yourself. As I am though, I found Seven Days Sober a massive confidence boost in my quest to stop drinking as well as a great comforter.

14 days and counting...

4.0 out of 5 stars inspiring, 23 April 2013
After a couple of hiccups (excuse the pun)! I went 7 days without alcohol. I did have a drink on the 8th day but actually feel that I would prefer not to drink at all. This book has certainly inspired me and given me information which I didn't know especially about wine and the making of it - I am vegetarian and the part about the finches being drowned really hit home.
The layout is easy to read and reading a chapter each day helps keep the motivation going.

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best books on recovery I have read, 21 April 2013
Well-constructed and well-written, the book offers an insider’s view of the wine industry, where the author’s own descent into alcoholism was indulged and smiled upon as an occupational hazard. She describes alcohol as a drug which is ‘viciously addictive’, supremely well-marketed and socially sanctioned. The account of how she slowly extracted herself is inspiring, and the last section a cornucopia of useful resources and practical ideas. I suspect it’s a book which may appeal to women more than men, partly because it is written from a female perspective but I shall certainly be dipping back into it from time to time. Amongst some of the dross that passes for recovery lit, this stands out as a polished and professional must-read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Has given me a lot to think about, 5 April 2013
I thought I would try this book as someone who doesn't feel I have an addition to booze but who's drinking is no longer fun, also that it's now having a bad effect on my relationships.
I thought it was well written and that it was easy to relate to some of her past experiences and that it's made me think a lot more about my own behaviour and relationship with alcohol. I recommend this to anyone who wants to change their drinking habits but obviously not for anyone who is physically addicted. I don't think I will live a completely sober life from here on but I am definitely going to consider how much and why I am drinking in the future, and will also be drinking a lot less, spending more sober days with my family doing more activities!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very timely book., 30 May 2014
Chimes with the concern about the growing issue of problem drinking, especially among women. Good clear writing and well worth reading if you are concerned about this issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars life saving, 15 May 2014
i cannot thank Meredith bell enough as she managed to do what scores of other authors failed to do - assist me to stop drinking alcohol. i now have my life back and i am loving it. this is a gem of a book. 6 months and no longer counting the days. thank you again meredith

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant I loved this book, 20 April 2014
Beautifully written interesting I simply could not put it down. Meredith was honest and blunt and very amusing I really recommend this book to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really helpful, 25 Mar 2014
I read this book while I was still on the reduction programme and feeling very anxious about embarking on sobriety. It gave me the confidence to try first of all one day, followed by every other day and eventually the week. Loads of good tips and ideas on what to do with yourself in the days after drinking

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought-provoking - a good 'starting point', 27 Feb 2014
Cathy (Yorks, England) - See all my reviews
I enjoyed this book greatly. I appreciated the author's honesty and she was preachy or even insistent that anyone stop drinking. I followed her instructions, didn't drink (or touch alcohol) for 7 days and kept a journal. I was very revealing and helpful.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›