5.0 out of 5 stars great camera
Pro's - great camera, simple to use & transfer movies to my iMac. Very light, starts up quickly. reproduces a pretty decent film, I did think the colours were a little washed out, but that may be my settings

Published on 12 Mar. 2013 by R. Hawke

3.0 out of 5 stars 1/2 hr battery life
Published on 29 Jan. 2013 by Heavenly Vegan

3.0 out of 5 stars 1/2 hr battery life, 29 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Canon Legria HF R38 Full HD Camcorder (32x Optical Zoom, Optical IS, WiFi, 32GB Memory) (Electronics)
Much as I loved using this camera, and I really did fall in love with it, the battery life is only ½ an hour. I had planned to stock up with batteries (£20 odd each), but it doesn't come with a battery charger. So, the next plan was to buy a battery charger, as the batteries have to be charged in the camcorder. The logistics are not worth the hassle. The money that I would have spent on extra batteries and a battery charger are better spent on a different camera.

I never did get my head around the wifi thing, that seems more trouble than it's worth.

Also I must mention that there was the sound of something rattling around inside the machine.

It does make nice quality films, and, contrary to the write-ups, the videos can actually be imported to Apple's iMovie and Final Cut with no problem at all.

If you want a low priced camera that takes good quality videos, and you are not planning to record for longer than ½ hour at a time, then I can recommend this Canon. It's good in low light, easy to handle and has some nice little movie making (stories etc) extras. The large inbuilt hard drive is handy, but personally I prefer to use an SD card so that I don't need to connect the camera to the mac. As it defaults to it's own hard drive, there is a slight delay before it selects the SD card.
Another plus is that it can fit into my handbag easily!

5.0 out of 5 stars great camera, 12 Mar. 2013
R. Hawke "Surfer" (UK) - See all my reviews

Con's - the battery that comes with it does not hold much charge. That is deliberate to keep the cost of the camera down, £240 for this camera is very cheap - you see them on other sites for £400

If you go for this camera, then invest in a Canon BP-727 battery pack which will record for 3 hours on a single charge. The battery goes for between £90-100

4.0 out of 5 stars Think about it first, 26 July 2012
J. Dennis "Jayadee" (UK) - See all my reviews
I probably only have myself to blame.

I rushed into buying this on the basis of the Canon name - I won't make that mistake again.

The camera is OK - it comes with virtually nothing apart from a very thin 'Quick Start Guide' and if you want to refer to the full handbook you had better have your laptop with you to access the CD that contains the 'User Manual'.

Relatively easy to operate although due to it being extremely small and light I find that using the START/STOP button flexes my hand and results in a flick of the camera which isn't too bad on start but all clips end with a sudden left/right whip movement. HD reproduction is fine and focus is again relatively easy but watch out for the lens trying to focus on something closer if you are on wide-angle. Sound is good and only suffers 'wind noise' under really strong wind and that seems to be a problem for all built-in microphones.

If you want to run the camera for more than 20 or 30 minutes - both taking and reviewing video - the supplied starter battery isn't going to help much.

Nor is trying to buy another battery using the battery code on the supplied battery because it doesn't exist - that battery is only available with a new camera. Look for a BP727 instead - but beware of the Canon price for the battery which was quoted at a price that equated to almost 25% of the camera cost.

Canon service - my experience - emails answered within 5 days but actually not answering the questions I asked and telephone support utterly useless. Senior person eventually rang me and apologised for their poor service but even though he promised to email me he never did!

Would I buy Canon again? No - based on their entirely inadequate service and lack of support.

3.0 out of 5 stars I expected more, 27 Feb. 2013
Recording in a good light is quite good but in low light conditions is it bad. I expected more from CANON
Also battery life is very very poor!!!!!! About 30 to 40 min for fully charged battery. I need to buy couple of spare batteries!!
I would not recommend this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little unit let down by pathetic canon battery, 16 July 2013
The camera itself is pretty damn awesome for the cost, good quality images and easy to use, full HD recording, touch screen controls, revealable flip screen and wifi upload when you get home.

This itself is severely undermined by the fact the supplied battery lasts for about 20 mins use.
The long run Canon battery costs about 1/2 the price of the camera kit!

There are some cheap 3rd party batteries that I am using but the quality of them can best be described as meh. They do allow me to use the camera for over an hour at a time though.

3.0 out of 5 stars THe image created is good but handling the camcorder isdifficult, 10 Mar. 2014
The prouct is as ordered but I am disappointed because without a viewfinder the product is not that easy to use in order to get a good starting image. The image takes a while to stabilse as well and this i part of the anti-shake - all in all it is a good product for a beginer but have used camcorders for years the product is too basic for my use

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little camcorder, 10 Feb. 2013
This is a great little camcorder. Easy to use, light, and comfortable to hold, good features. Picture quality is very good. Disappointed by the battery life which only held about 30 minutes of charge, and the cost of extra batteries, which seemed disproportionate to the cost of the camcorder.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camcorder, 6 May 2013
Easy to use, great picture quality, good features, good zoom. This is the first camcorder I've ever used and it was great!