4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice bit of kit
Published 24 months ago by goldfish

3.0 out of 5 stars Great video and sound, rubbish battery
Published 23 months ago by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice bit of kit, 30 July 2012
This review is from: Canon Legria HF R36 Full HD Camcorder (32x Optical Zoom, Optical IS, WiFi, 8GB Memory) (Electronics)
I bought this to replace an old mini-DV camcorder that was about to expire. I did spend some time hunting around for a small, lightweight HD camcorder. After doing some research, its quite obvious that there is no 'best' device - its all about what features you need and how much you are willing to pay. I wanted a good lens, a recognised brand (I've always liked Canon photo stuff), good selection of basic functionality as well as just auto modes, optical stability, good connectivity, expandable storage and WIFI. Hence my selection.

I've only had the camera a few weeks and, so far, have only used it in auto-mode apart from odd bits of experiementation.

So, first impressions. Its small and light. Very. Great portability but you may suffer trying to hold the thing steady and (if you have big hands) using the controls. But practice makes perfect. Bought two SanDisk class10 SD memory cards and they work a treat in combination with the internal memory. Plug the device in to a HD TV using the HDMI cable and the HD picture quality is top notch. This alone is enough to justify getting this camcorder. Haven't used all the fancy on-camera trickery and story-boards yet so cant really pass judgement. You get reasonable video basic video editing software (works fine on my Win7 laptop), plus WiFi network software for video transfer. There is also a free iPad app to connect to the camera to view video.

However, there are some downsides. Battery! This is the only HD camcorder I've tried so it may be common but the included battery lasts just 25mins and its dead. To me thats useless, so how about a Canon high-capacity battery? Well thats about 90 quid sir! Wow. So I bought a third party battery & charger for about 20 quid all-in and this gives me about 90mins+ recording time but the downside is you wont get a battery usage indictor on the display as the battery does not contain a Canon chip. Annoying but not a show-stopper. Another disappointment is the WiFi transfer speed - for full HD it takes tens of minutes to transfer just a few minutes of video to the laptop - so the USB cable gets used. I can pump the video direct via WiFi to my HD TV but it stutters which is caused by my WiFi router not being fast enough. Sigh. So back to the cable. Playback from my laptop to the HDTV gives stunning quality but need to use a HDMI cable.

So, in summary I love the picture quality, size, and functionality. Well worth it. Downside is battery life and connectivity but these can be overcome with a little effort.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great video and sound, rubbish battery, 15 Aug 2012
Amazon Customer (Poulton-le-Fylde, Lancs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I cant fault the quality of the media this device records - its fantastic! You get the option to record in 'on-line' friendly mp4 or in higher quality mode for full HD TV. The mp4 mode is still _very_ good, and I find that most of the time I leave it in this mode. By doing so I have the option to upload the media straight to Facebook from the camera (following a f/w update).

For me there are 3 bad points about the camcorder:

1. The absolute rubbish battery they ship with the camera. You get 1 hour of recording only from this battery. OK, it is small and light - but come on! 1 Hour! This means you have to buy a bigger battery (maybe most people will do that anyway) - and they are very expensive and currently not that easy to buy. So add another 80 on to your budget.

2. I find it hard to use the zoom function when holding the camera. Maybe its just me, but I cant hold it steady and operate the zoom with one hand. I need to use my left hand to keep it steady and my right to operate the zoom. If the zoom were operable by my thumb, there would not be a problem - but you have to use your 1st finger and that causes a rotation of your hand.

3. Using the screen outside on a sunny day is very hard - you just cant see it. This is probably expected on all camcorders which dont have a real eyepiece (does anyone make these anymore?). However, the only way of taking photos is by touching a small 'button' on the screen itself - and of course you cant see the button. Once you learn where it is you can fumble around and eventually hit it - but give the camera to someone else to take a picture and they dont stand a chance.

Overall I am pleased with the camcorder and would recommend it, but it isnt as good as it could be (and the battery thing _really_ annoys me).

4.0 out of 5 stars Really great camera let down by poor battery life, 25 Mar 2013
C. Hamer "chrisahamer" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
We (by which I mean myself and my father)bought this camcorder to replace a now ancient Sony DV camcorder which finally gave up the ghost.
It was impressive how much choice the camcorder market now has but this seemed like the most logical option taking into account our budget and feature set we wanted.

The video performance is really good! Having played around with this at John Lewis - where we also bought it we were sure it'd do what we wanted it to.
The Wi-Fi integration is also brilliant which made it even better.

The only gripe is that the battery life was really poor. We got John Lewis to replace the battery but still no improvement so we ended up buying a third party expanded battery which gives us about 2 hours - much much better.

This camcorder is very good and the optical performance is really really nice. You definitely can see Canon's lens expertise.
I think it was clear we got a really good camera for our budget I guess I was just expecting a much better battery considering the product. What is the point of a 40 minute battery in a camcorder??

3.0 out of 5 stars Canon Legria HF R36 camcorder, 8 Sep 2012
G. J. Buckley (UK) - See all my reviews
Camera is fine, quite easy to hold & use and with the SIM card memory seems much handier than the old DVD disk Canon camera we used to have.

Bad point is the stupid 30 min (max) life battery that comes with the camera. Then the ridiculous price for a genuine Canon spare battery, about a third the cost of the actual camera. So I took the gamble and bought a 'non chipped' Battery & Charger for 27.94 via Amazon (delivered in 2 days by normal post). OK, so I don't have the battery charge level meter & the slight nuisance of the red warning notice that has to be cancelled each time I switch on but so far so good. I can live with these disadvantages for the price savings. This new charger also has the advantage that I can charge the battery while driving from the car's 'cigarette lighter' socket.

Only time will tell if the battery life is any good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camcorder, 23 Jun 2013
We bought this for our movie making daughter. It's small and very light and the zoom is amazing. Good quality of pic and sound. Would definitely recommend.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good product spoiled by small details., 6 July 2014
This is my first Camcorder and I must admit I didn't do as much research as I should have. Had I read a few reviews I may have been directed elsewhere,

Plus points first.
It really is easy to use and gives great results straight from the box. Just charge it up, switch it on, open the lens cover, push the start button and away you go. I am absolutely delighted with the build quality of the camera and the quality of the videos it produces. It is small and light enough to carry in your pocket - just!
I haven't explored all the features yet but one I like is the ability to grab a snapshot from a paused video.
Image stabilisation works very well - even smooths out walking around.
Internal 8GB of memory gives an hour of recording at moderate resolution. I have added an 8GB SanDisk Extreme II and that will probably be as much as I will need.

Now minor hiccups - part of the learning curve.
The LCD screen was almost invisible outdoors on a bright day. Cured eventually by going into the shade and hunting through the menus for the LCD brightness control. Set to "H" and it was fine.
The zoom seems a little fast but with a gentle touch it does have a variable rate though the step from "is it zooming yet" to a leap to one end of the scale is difficult to negotiate. Maybe just something to get a feel for.

Things I am not so happy with.
Other reviewers have pointed out the short life of the battery supplied and I have to agree. Canon claims "up to 1 hour" for which read about 20 minutes with the LCD brightness on "H" and around 30 minutes with it on "M". Time spent reviewing your masterpieces and making changes in the menus all eat deep into recording time. Canon batteries are insultingly expensive so I will probably go 3rd Party.
With the equipment supplied, the battery can only be charged in the camera. That means that you can't cycle the batteries by having one on charge while you use a 2nd. I note that many 3rd party batteries are supplied with a charger. That may be the way to go.
The first serious outing was for my granddaughter's 7th birthday party. Why are Camcorder makers so obsessed with giving a massive telephoto so you can video a fly in magnificent detail from 25 metres (if you can hold the camera still enough) but struggle indoors to get wide enough to get people (even small children!) in frame from head to toe (unless you can knock a hole in the wall to step back another couple of meters.
The setup menus are inconsistent. Probably not an issue once you have it set up and only need to change the odd parameter but when you want to go through setting several parameters it is annoying that there is no way back after making a change other than to quit the menus and start again at the beginning. Some parameters have a back button but not all.
If you are set up to record on the SD card and start the camera with no card present or a full card all you get is a "No SD Card" or "Card Full" warning. Come on Canon! It ain't rocket science - if there is no card use the internal memory without requiring me to dig through the menus to change the setting! You can set it to use the memories as one but for some reason only when in "M" mode not in "Auto". Even then it fills the internal memory first. As the SD card can be up to 8x bigger than internal memory, logic for me says fill the card first then use the internal as my emergency overflow. Maybe that's just me!!

To summarise - Overall I am reasonably happy with this camcorder because of the excellent video quality. I am resigned to working around its shortcomings. I can only give 3 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good camera, 7 Dec 2012
Have had it for few months.

It is good camera for taking videos for kids school play etc.
Works great

Software that comes with it probably works for computers on home network.
I have not managed to configure network utility at all.
It does not allow me to key in user credentials
Apart from that it is ok

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon Legria, 18 Feb 2013
I'm still testing it but at first seems a very easy to use product. Video quality seems to be good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Value for money - excellent quality for more than reasonable cost., 18 Aug 2013
Handy, simple, user friendly.
Videos and photos are excellent quality.
Battery doesn't last long but it was worth investing in a longer-life battery. I bought a Canon compatible battery which was less than half the price of the Canon version; the only disadvantage is that the display doesn't register the life left in the battery, but otherwise - no issues.
The monitor can be adjusted to any angle, which is great when getting into awkward spaces.
Overall all a pleasing purchase.