4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended read!
Published on 28 Jan 2012 by ElaineG

3.0 out of 5 stars A simple story
This was not one of the best books I've read but it was ok. The story lacked depth and substance. It very much felt like a quick read.
Published 2 months ago by Z D MILSOM

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended read!, 28 Jan 2012
ElaineG (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Cornish Cream and Pilchards (Kindle Edition)
As my first freebie book download I was a little wary, but no need - this was a really nice read! The book is packed with likeable characters, who all seem to have their own stories to tell, together with some not so likeable ones! Set in a small Cornish village - Larnack, and especially the first part which covers the period during a loooooooooooooong heatwave, it really puts you in the mood for summer. The story runs very smoothly covering the events of a year starting with the preparations for the village Silver Jubilee celebrations, and the various sub plots all come together nicely to make a good, satisfying ending. If the author has another St Larnack story in the pipeline, then I would definitely buy it. Dont be put off by a few proofing errors, they don't detract from the read at all.

Ideal summer reading if we ever get any sun lounger days!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 13 Jan 2012
This review is from: Cornish Cream and Pilchards (Kindle Edition)
A very good read, well worth a look at, thoroughly enjoyed it. Would be happy to read more novels by this authorCornish Cream and Pilchards

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice easy read, 31 Jan 2012
This review is from: Cornish Cream and Pilchards (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book. The characters were varied and interesting. Set in a small village in Cornwall the book really captures and conveys the image. I will be looking out for more by this author.

3.0 out of 5 stars A simple story, 25 July 2014

1.0 out of 5 stars RUBBISH, 16 Nov 2013
Hula Girl (Dawlish, Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cornish Cream and Pilchards (Kindle Edition)
BADLY WRITTEN AND DEFINITELY NOT WORTH EVEN 77P. DON'T BOTHER WITH IT. i DIDN'T GET PAST 2 PAGES WASTE OF MONEY

1.0 out of 5 stars Does it get better in the second half?, 11 Sep 2013
This review is from: Cornish Cream and Pilchards (Kindle Edition)
Sorry, but I couldn't face the second half of this one. Being Cornish and "born and reared" in a small village community around the time that this one is set, I thought it would be an interesting read. I struggled with the first half hoping that at least someone would get murdered or there would be some sort of tangible plot or something of interest might actually be going on in this "fictional village" or maybe even just one of its characters might get interesting but sadly I had to drop it as my other hobby of watching paint dry is far more interesting.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a slog, 4 May 2013
Hard going.
Thought it would be better than this.
Waiting room reading, read a bit put it down. and
you have forgotten it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Is there a point?, 22 Jan 2013
Kindlelover (East Sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cornish Cream and Pilchards (Kindle Edition)
Well I don't know what to make of this book. I have lived in a village for many years and love village life with all its fascinating characters, village events, rural beauty and intrigue etc. I thought therefore that I would really enjoy this book. But I really didn't detect any particular plot - the pages just gave accounts of people doing day to day stuff! (My home village has more interesting events going on!) There were so many characters in this novel that I lost count of them as I read through and often forgot what part they played in the events in this book. I therefore had to look back frequently in the search facility of my kindle to refresh my memory of who they were and where they fitted into the book. This is not a good sign! There is nothing wrong with many characters in a plot as long as there is a central theme with strong characters who play a central role in a story that is going somewhere. When I got to around 80% of the book I nearly abandoned it but decided to continue because I thought surely something must happen soon that would justify the existence of the book but it was not to be! (I keep using the term "the book" because I cannot refer to "the story" as there wasn't one!) So there was no plot, no central characters, and for me no point.

By contrast I have been very fortunate to have read books by some authors who write novels teaming with plots and sub plots which are spellbinding and with a number of "leading" characters which for me is essential for a good read. I know some other reviewers do not agree with me I guess we all have different ideas about what "works" for us.

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy Read, 4 Sep 2013
This review is from: Cornish Cream and Pilchards (Kindle Edition)
Just a light story. Rather disappointing as story has no substance to it and not much Cornish about it. Still for the price it was worth reading

3.0 out of 5 stars ok, 15 July 2013
This review is from: Cornish Cream and Pilchards (Kindle Edition)
Not a particularly compelling story = Not a Rosamumd Pilcher but an easy read - if you have spare time worth reading it

Cornish Cream and Pilchards