I do a lot of baking and bought these Andrew James tins some years ago now and still use them today. . .

I have quite a few Andrew James items in my kitchen and find them all okay. I noticed a few negative reviews on these so I thought I'd give my take on em!

These springform tins have a loose flat base which is held by a deep ring with a buckle on the side. When you release the buckle you then lift the ring off leaving your cake, dessert or pie in perfect condition.

I found these tins to be of great quality. Although there is no mention of it I think they are made from mild steel and they are non stick coated. The buckle fastening is well made and strong with a nice opening action on these tins compared to some I've used in the past.

You can use this in the oven, freezer and obviously fridge. There is a good amount of clearance around the cake when you release the buckle and open the ring making it easy to lift away leaving your creation on the flat plate!

May I add (just incase you're new to baking!) I always line these tins with greaseproof paper before using them. Although they are non stick coated your lovely cake can still stick to the ring/base. All's you do is cut a piece of greaseproof paper into a circle to cover the base (this should stop any possible batter leaking too) and cut a strip the same height of the ring and line inside the ring with it too making sure the edges overlap!
You can just use a paperclip to connect the two edges of the ring strip where they meet (make sure you take it out!!) or just dot the inner ring with butter so it sticks! This will make getting your cake out in perfect condition ten times easier :)

These tins measure 22, 24 and 26 cm which in old money is approx 9 inches, 9.8 and 10.5 inches. I prefer inches!

I would recommend after washing these pans to dry thoroughly asap to prolong their life. After drying you could put them in the oven to completely dry the buckle mechanism to stop any rusting.

So yes! A great set of tins here. Good luck in the kitchen folks!
on 8 February 2013
I used these for the first time today and when I took them off the top of my cooker to put in the oven there was cake mix spilt everywhere. Very disappointing as they look great, but if they don't hold the cake mix what's the point? Total waste of money.
on 30 January 2013
I purchased these tins to enable me to make large celebration cakes. I was very keen as the product had received such good reviews on here. Having gone to use these for the first time, my first impression was that the tins looked uneven and the outside coating had some rough edges. Ignoring the appearance as I had bought these at a reduced price, I continued to make my cake. However, upon putting in the oven, the mix leaked out everywhere. Fortunately I always line my oven at the bottom, otherwise I would have had a lot of burnt cake mix stuck to the bottom. I managed to quickly transfer to one of my other tins to continue the bake (unfortunately a square one when I wanted a round one for the base). I then tested all of the other tins and found they suffered from the same issue.

I have decided to return these because unless I will only use them to make large cheesecakes, they are pretty much useless. Whether or not I received a faulty batch, who knows!
22 comments39 of 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 16 February 2014
I have a few Andrew James kitchen items now and they are all generally well made and functional. So I thought I would give these a try. They work as promised and are well constructed tins. As with all loose bottom tins they are not water tight seals when put together, so you may need to line the tins especially if the viscosity is particularly low. If the mix is very wet, you may still get some minor leakage depending on how well you line the tin.

I found the clamps particularly useful if the cake was a bit stubborn to get out, it just gives you that little more room to slide a small spatula down to free the cake. If the cake is free, then the clamps are still useful to make removal easier.

I did find the clamps to be a little awkward to release, but that is partly due to my finger joints getting a bit stiff and sore.

These have been used quite a few times now and each time they go through the dishwasher. So far there is no sign of the non-stick coating blistering, peeling or flaking off. They come out of the dishwasher clean every time.

Good VFM and good build quality. If you suffer with bad arthritis in your fingers, you may find the clamps a bit tricky.
on 1 January 2014
These cake tins look great and were a great price my only problem is that I find it a bit tricky putting it back together when I have washed it (although my husband manages no problem)
on 19 October 2014
The product arrived badly packaged and the contents had been thrown around (by YODEL surprisingly).
On unpacking the inner box I found that it would really matter how they were packaged as the tins were all sat inside like Russian dolls without anything in-between to stop them scratching each other.
The non-stick material has been scratched on all but the smallest one.

The hinge attaching the spring release part was badly manufactured too, the rivet was not fully finished and left a hole to the outside for cake mix to leak through.
Andrew James responded quickly to my return request and sent out a replacement tin within the week. Excellent service from them, thanks.
NOTE: I was contacted directly and was sent this product for free. I was asked to use it fully and to write an honest, unbiased review. My being given a free item in no way influenced my review of this product.

I bake cakes very infrequently but love baked cheesecake, I could eat it it daily if I allowed myself. Receiving this set of 3 non-stick spring foam cake tins for review was the ideal opportunity to bake a cheesecake. I hoped they were non-stick too like they claimed! as I didn’t line the cake tin prior to using like I normally would.

They arrived very nicely boxed and with each individual cake tin wrapped in its own plastic bag inside each other, so they were not able to scratch each other in transit. They were all in perfect condition when I took them out of the box and inspected each one closely. I also opened and closed the spring clips to see if they worked properly. They did, all three.

You get three different sizes, suitable for baking anything from cheesecake to Victoria Sponges and Christmas cakes - the sizes coming in at 22cm, 24cm and 26cm and the spring clips enable you to open the outer of the cake tin, facilitating easy removal of the base. This is a fabulous design as digging a cheesecake out is almost impossible without ruining it, whereas with a spring clip tin I just open it and using my hand beneath the base, lift up the cheesecake and its presented in perfect condition.

Each tin is crafted from durable carbon steel and they are non-stick coated with something called Goldenflon. I’ve never heard of it, but it works! I have no idea for how long but as they come with a 2 year guarantee its safe to assume I think that it will last at least two years. If you try to avoid using any metal kitchen tools in them, I would hope they would last even longer. I have one super-large cake tin that I’ve had 15 years and as I always use a silicone spatula in it, the non-stick properties are still working fine! So look after your bakeware, and it will outlast the guarantee I would think.

I like that they are fridge and freezer safe. I oftentimes have to chill with some recipes, so that is very handy. They are also dishwasher safe which may be helpful to you, but I don’t have a dishwasher, he does most of the washing up and I’m totally happy with that arrangement.

The height of each tin is 6.8cm which is more than ample for most of your creations. I’ll still make my huge Christmas cake in the other one I own though, as that is higher and the recipe I use by Nigella needs a tall tin. I will probably make a Dundee cake in the largest of the 3 though. Its perfect for that.

They are exceptionally easy to clean. They are well constructed for longevity and successful baking results and those quick release metal clips and the spring form makes baking my cheesecakes a pleasure.

I highly recommend these, they are just fab!
review image review image review image review image
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 19 January 2016
I was sent this item in order to provide an honest review. I am pleased with these spring form cake tins and think they are exceptionally good value for money and decent quality too. They come in a set of 3 so are a convenient way to supplement what you already have, or as a starter kit.

They come very nicely presented so would make an excellent gift and I like how how each tin was wrapped individually to prevent scratching while in the box.

I have been using spring form tins in general for a while now (primarily for cheesecake, but I also use them for other cakes) and after using a couple of these Andrew James ones I am happy with them.

They are perhaps not quite as good as my Circulon ones, but that is to be expected as one of those spring form tins is almost double the price of this 3 tin set!.

The main difference for me is the mechanism which I find a bit stiff, however apart from that I think these tins are great and are definitely non-stick. The metal looks and feels decent quality, they have a good weight to them and are easy to wash.

With non-stick tins I still line them to preserve the quality of the non-stick coating; indeed I have bake-ware that is almost 10 years old and still in great condition so I would certainly recommend lining these tins beforehand. I have not had any problem with leakage so far (phew).

Overall I would recommend these for their price, the 3 different sizes and the fact that they do what they are supposed to!
review image review image review image review image review image
on 4 October 2012
I recently purchased these tins as myself & my son love to bake. They are great quality and definitely non stick I have recommended them to my mother who has also bought some they are great quality better than some of the more expensive ranges the sponge cake came out the tin so easy they were so easy to clean no scrubbing involved great choice of sizes to choose from. A pleasure to bake with would recommend to anyone. Thank you Andrew James for making experience in home baking so much easier.
We bake a lot in our household and have used a lot of cake and spring form tins in our time.

On first inspection I was over the moon with these tins as they gave three sensible sized tins and felt a nice weight and quality.

Note the three sizes in diameter are:

22cm
24cm
26cm

All tins are the same depth of roughly 5.8cm.

I have used the smallest for a cheesecake and it worked beautifully, the grip on the tins is very tight so although I use quite a loose mixture (as it’s a baked cheesecake), there was absolutely no leakage whatsoever so really very pleased as not all tins are tight enough.

My one criticism of the tins and that is the fastening is very tight and sturdy, almost stiff compared to my others. I am hoping with time that they will become a bit looser and easier to open. All three are the same not just the smaller one I used.

That said I would still very much recommend these tins but just thought it best to point out the stiff mechanism. All in all though they are fantastic. Recommended.

I was kindly provided a sample by the manufacturer to review; the opinions expressed here are entirely my own view of these cake tins.