5.0 out of 5 stars A Serious Piece of Kit
I've been looking for a way to get great sound into my dining room for some time. I've got the hi-fi in the living room connected to an Apple TV, which I can control from my armchair with my iPad or iPhone and wanted something similar, but stand-alone, for the dining room.

Published on 26 May 2012 by Phil

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what expected
Having been a devoted Sony fan for years I was suprised when I received this product. As expected from Sony it was well made and looked good. However, the sound quality was poor - distortion at high volumes and no clarity at low volumes. Setting it up was simple but after a short time it lost it's wireless signal and sound stuttered during playback. I tried to set it up...
Published 13 months ago by armchairted

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Serious Piece of Kit, 26 May 2012
This review is from: Sony RDPXA900iP.CED Wireless Speaker Dock with Airplay and Bluetooth Compatiable with iPod/iPhone/iPad (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)

I looked at a load of docks and speakers, but none fitted the bill. They were either too expensive, such as the B & W Zeppelin, or too obtrusive, such as the Philips Fidelios... OK, and the B & W Zep. And when I say obtrusive, I mean they wouldn't pass the wifely "will it disappear" test. Then I found this chunk of technology.

Don't be put off by the "usually dispatched in 2 to 3 weeks" caveat. Mine came within three days. And even if it hadn't, it is well worth the wait.

It connects to everything and anything. I had AirPlay set up in minutes, following the clear instruction in the manual. The iPod/iPhone/iPad dock is concealed behind the silver Sony logo and glides out silently when depressed. Video from your iThingy can be sent to a TV via the RCA Video out socket.

For you Androids, it has Bluetooth. And a optical digital socket. And a small jackplug socket. AND a LAN socket.

The controls are all on the top brushed silver bar. On/off, iPod and Audio In indicators, Bluetooth pairing, Update, Skip and Volume. There's even a mini Remote and an iPad app.

The construction is solid and it has a high quality finish. It's bigger and heavier than you would expect - the courier wouldn't let my wife carry the box inside - but that just adds to the feeling of quality.

And the sound - in a word - perfect. Tight bass, bright treble, great vocals. A big five stars from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Style, sound and compatibility, it has it all!, 5 April 2012
MyKeyReviews (Hampshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Length:: 8:57 Mins

Sony's XA900iP wireless speaker dock is one of four in the X-series that is currently available on the market, at the moment it's the highest model available out of the series with a huge price tag, just the mere thought will manage to make any persons eyes water. I think the main question for many people would be "is it really worth the money?", well ladies and gentlemen, I can genuinely say this has not only(to date) been the best dock I have proudly had the chance to play with, but possibly one of the best 2.1 speakers I have ever heard.... oh and it looks great too!

- - -

Most docks on the market connect to devices via one or two ways, either with a combination of an iPod dock accompanied by an AUX port; Bluetooth & AUX, or just the one alone. A good example would be the PHILIPS DS7510/10 Fidelio Portable Docking Speaker which lets you connect your iPod/iPhone directly to a docking port or any device that has an AUX port available.

However the XA900iP has many different ports making it one of the most compatible docks available; it features the following:

1) Main Dock: Apple devices only. It accepts all generations of iPod, iPhone & iPads and even charges them!

2) AirPlay: Another Apple feature which allows you to stream your music wirelessly to the dock.

3) Bluetooth: Many devices have this feature of which should be Android based, so if you have an Android phone or tablet, you can play music & audio wirelessly, though please note that bluetooth devices work on average up to 32 feet (10 meters) away.

4) Digital In: By using an optical/digital cable(not supplied), you can transmit your audio from main home devices such as your Television, PlayStation 3 and Blu-ray player!

5) Analog In: Otherwise known as an AUX port, by using an auxiliary cable(not supplied), you can connect devices such as a Walkman or CD player to play music.

6) Video Out: For use with iPad when connected directly on the dock to view videos on a display such as a TV. (Cable not supplied)

Due to these multiple compatibilities, this dock is great for social gatherings and parties where peoples devices vary.

For those using the dock via Bluetooth or iPod Dock feature, you can use the included remote control to skip tracks and adjust volume wirelessly. (People using the dock via iPod, I would recommend downloading the app so you can browse through your tracks without having to unlock the phone).

- - -

The other main feature a dock needs is good sound quality, for those who really appreciate music, listening to bad audio quality can be an unpleasant experience. When it comes to top-notch sound quality, this unit delivers, in fact it actually delivered more than what I had expected.

This product advertises it has `dual-passive radiators' and `magnetic fluid speaker units' which provide powerful bass, higher sound pressure and less sound distortion. I honestly couldn't tell you what they were exactly, but what I can be sure about is that the speakers really do produce crystal clear sound and rich/perfectly balanced bass even at high volumes.

I've tried listening to pop, rock, metal, country and more and couldn't fault anything, you could literally hear every beat of the track.

So far all I've had from people are positive responses when they've heard what this speaker can deliver, two musician friends who are EXTREMELY picky when it comes to sound have done nothing but compliment the sound quality, even one said it is on par with a high-end Bose speaker he had listened too.

As for the looks, it's elegant, very stylish and one that would suit being in many different styled rooms.

- - -

Overall I believe it's a great investment for people who are obsessed with sound and for those who really like getting the most out of their music, yes the price tag is big but will be worth it for any audiophile out there!

5.0 out of 5 stars Strangely enough it's excellent value for money, 20 Aug 2012
Mr. J. Darby (England) - See all my reviews
I did a lot of research before taking the plunge, and for the price range this should be THE choice for a iThing dock, for various reasons;

PROS
~ The variety of inputs is astounding; you have (deep breath) Airplay, Bluetooth, Dock, 3.5mm, LAN and digital in (compatible with PS3s, and many other AV equipment). This means that the speaker dock can really also be used as a soundbar, and does a serviceable job too.
~ There is a video output for iPad (RCA style). Personally I'll never use this feature, but its still noteworthy.
~ It can dock iPads, which not many docks can at the moment. This was a key feature for me deciding over the Zeppelin Air.
~ The BUILD QUALITY is amazing!! Such a lovely dock, very understated despite its size, and not flashy unlike some of its competitors. It's not dull though either, while I wouldn't describe it as a style statement like the Zeppelin, it still is a beauty.
~ SET UP for Airplay is very easy, just follow the prompt to download the D-Sappli app, and if your iThing is connected to the network all you have to put in is your wireless password, and you're ready to go.
~ SOUND QUALITY is excellent. It won't quite beat the Zeppelin Air, but at 150 less I think that is fairly reasonable. It offers excellent detail, bass is present but not overwhelming, and its size allows decent separation of the speakers. When I heard it at the shop I thought the sound was a little underwhelming, lacking some of the punch of other docks, but back home I have no complaints. Probably the acoustics of the store. It can also reach quite impressive volumes, the fact that the speakers are 200W speaks volumes for that (see what I did there?!?).
~ The slidey-out dock is a lovely touch, as is the LED that glows a different colour depending on which source is being used, and the metal panel at the top.
~ The iThing dock is spring loaded, so no adapter required for different models.
~ No glossy materials used, so not a fingerprint magnet.

CONS
~ This thing is huge. Not necessarily a bad thing, its the price paid for decent separation in an all-in-one package, and I quite like its size, but something to be aware of nonetheless.
~ The remote is naff, not badly laid out, just really cheap for such an expensive dock. Don't really plan on using it much though, as I love Airplay, as it means I can still use my iThing while music is playing.
~ There is no mute button, and as the play/pause button doesn't work with YouTube videos, when I'm on Vevo and such I have to manually pause it from the app, not via the remote. Just a minor niggle.
~ I do kinda wish there was an LCD, even if it was just for a volume readout, sometimes I accidentally deafen myself when turning it on.
~ Airplay drops out momentarily now and again, but to be honest I blame my home network for that more than the dock.

OVERALL

A very capable dock, with a myriad of inputs, thus making it a very attractive proposition for house parties, easy for any device to connect to, although you may prefer bluetooth for your house guests to keep them off your home network! Excellent value for money considering its power (200W), brand, inputs, sound quality, build quality, attention to detail and just overall impression of luxury. The negatives are very minor, and certainly haven't stopped me enjoying using this dock. Certainly brings into question whether it is worth paying the extra money for the Zeppelin Air, as beyond a certain point there are diminishing returns for more and more financial outlay. I would recommend this to anyone.

KILLER FEATURES

~ Ability to dock iPads (albeit not in landscape)
~ Room filling 200W output
~ Rare combination of bluetooth, airplay & dock.
~ Sleek and understated quality design

Any QUESTIONS please ask :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow......., 16 Dec 2012
Bought this piece of kit as a bit of a Christmas treat for myself and an addition to all my other gadgets, which I love dearly. This is a great buy and amazing, amazing. I made a little online research before deciding on a wireless speaker and this speaker ticks one hell of a lot of boxes for connectivity, that being the main reason for my purchase, as I have both apple and android devices at home.

At the moment my i pad is connected via airplay and I have my transformer prime, the wife's Samsung galaxy tablet and my htc android phone paired by Bluetooth. After the year when the decorations are down I intend to connect the speaker using the s video so content can be payed via I pad to the tv. The connectivity of this device is just excellent.

It's a fair size thing but has a good look and feels good quality. Very easy to connect all your devices I had all my devices connected within 20 minutes.

Last but not least, the sound is excellent. If you read all the other reviews about the quality of the sound of this device they explain it very well so I won't bore with the technical details. There is not one hiss, crackle, whistle or interference on it, the sound is crystal clear and everything is picked out when played back, wow. Also used it on the sky movies app on I pad to watch a movie on the pad and that was amazing, can't wait to connect to the tv and use it as a sound bar, even though I have a dts surround sound system, I do like the sound of the movies through this.

If anybody is considering a purchase of this nature then I can thoroughly recommend this, you won't be disappointed, you get so much more bang for your buck with this speaker. Go on you know your worth it!!!!.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simply excellent system with great sound and value for money., 14 Oct 2013
R SPICER "Rob" (London) - See all my reviews
Like anyone purchasing a soundsystem of this value, it requires a great deal of online research. I was tempted to save enough to buy a multiroom system such as the Sonos - market leader for wireless home sound for some time. But, over the years Sonos' price has rarely wavered and I struggled to financially justify the cost of the units. Particularly the Sonos Playbar which is 600.

Time for a shift in tactics. Never been a fan of Apple, not because I dislike their technology as in all honesty it's fantastic but just didn't like the big prices. That said, the more I read about Airplay the more I felt this could be a useful alternative to Sonos. I have an iPad, and love it. But I also have an Android phone... so I wanted a system that had Bluetooth connectivity. This way I could stream sound from my iPad and my phone. I'm a big fan of flexibility.

Reading and viewing reviews, the XA900's flexibility continued to impress me as I discovered you could connect the system to a PS3 or TV with a digital optical cable. Definite brownie points there as I was looking at a home cinema system anyway.

So, I now use the Sony XA900 to play music or listen to content sound on my ipad (films, youtube etc), stream music via bluetooth from my android phone or as a sound bar sitting underneath my TV that gives sound superior to the 10W TV speakers.

This piece of kit is huge, physically, so you need to be wary of the dimensions and where this is going to go in your room. I've described it as having soundbar capabilities, but don't be fooled to think you could position this easily beneath your TV. It's simply too big. This speaker occupies a whole shelf of a 40 Inch glass TV stand, and fills it vertically so much that I cannot use the buttons across the top of the unit. This isn't a fault of the product, but just that my TV stand simply isn't big enough to house it. Luckily it has a remote control that you can use to do everything you need to, without needing the buttons. Incidentally, for such a well built and quality piece of kit, the remote is pretty flimsy and while it's perfectly functional, it just needs a bit more of a robust makeup to match the speaker unit itself.

If this unit was half the size and had better remote control build quality, this would get a 5 star rating. The sound is immense for a single speaker and it picks up Bluetooth and Airplay very quickly. Any issues I have had are probably more to do with Airplay technology than the speaker itself (occasional drop outs due to the Wifi network at home?). This is where the Sonos system would have triumphed.

Still for 200, this speaker system is amazing. Very loud (and I like loud music) with little distortion at high volumes - always a sign of a good quality system. I've added a 2nd smaller Bluetooth/Airplay speaker into the dining room to complete the multiroom music system.

Very happy with this product. I'll be buying another very soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars The sound is terrific, 30 May 2013
D. Pugh "DenaVirago" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
Big, but beautiful.

Sounds are mellow and accurate.

Likes a strong wi-fi signal, which is the only problem for me, but since there is Bluetooth as well then your options aren't limited.
Of course, you could use the Apple dock connector (not Lightning), or 3.5mm mini jack for physical options, so just about anyone and anything can be connected

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 10 April 2013
This Dock really does tick all the boxes. I had been looking for a Dock for a few months and I didn't set myself a budget,. I wanted something that sounds great regardless of what genre of music I was listening to. I tried out the other well known brands like Bose, Sonos and B&W. I found the Sony to be a richer, warmer sound than both the Bose and the Sonos. But not as good as the B&W. What swayed me to buy this over the B&W was the connectivity for other devices and the Bluetooth. I have this connected to my HD TV and Blu Ray Player, so when I'm not using to listen to my music via Blu tooth ( which it plays faultlessly ) I can listen to a very clear stereo sound whilst viewing the TV. I have noticed I can here far more detail than I would normally through my TV speakers. This Dock plays a well balanced range of sounds, with rich deep bass for it's size. After several weeks of using this Dock I would highly recommend and given the choice would make the same purchase again. Nearly forgot I saved 100 buying through Amazon. Go for it.. you won't regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars It ace, 5 Dec 2012
Sounds great, has a lot of functions well more than its opponent brands, but for less money. Great quality and easy to use from the box as Sony always does

5.0 out of 5 stars OMG, 26 Oct 2012
I have just had a test of this device after along and frustrating search.

Bose, forget it. Zeppelin air, forget it.

This is by far the best dock I have heard and has Bluetooth, AirPlay and connects to your tv for a sound bar.

Truly spectacular.

5.0 out of 5 stars Applesque in it's Setup, 17 Jun 2012
I've wanted a wireless dock for some time and was a little nervous about buying this one. Needn't have worried. Popped the iPhone on the dock, downloaded the D-Sappli app from iTunes, picked up my network and was streaming my music library to the dining room in less than two minutes. Sound quality is excellent and the wireless connection very robust. I would have liked more control of the tone settings but that is just being picky.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›