5.0 out of 5 stars This book will change your life if you let it
Published 18 months ago by Andrew D Wright

1.0 out of 5 stars The Chimp Paradox: The Acclaimed Mind...
Bought this for use at a professionalism masterclass as it was recommended reading.
I think this book may be of use to a 15 year old track and field athlete with very little world experience, but probably no-one else.
Published 4 months ago by Andy B

5.0 out of 5 stars This book will change your life if you let it, 14 Dec. 2013
Andrew D Wright "Andrew W." (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Life-changing is over used hyperbole in the self-help 'new you' book market but that's exactly what this book is. Written in a very simple style it walks us through an intuitive model of how our minds work that's linked to what we know about the physical structure of the brain. If you read it carefully and do the exercises at the back of each chapter it will absolutely change your life.

The genius of the book is that Peters takes complex information about the physical structure of our brain and builds a complementary psychological model that explains how each part contributes to our 'in-mind' experience each and everyday.

The model is made of the following components;

There's our inner Chimp, the emotional part of our brain, designed by evolution to support our survival, it's thinking is characterised by feelings and paranoia, it works on impressions and interpretations, not facts and responds up to fives times faster than our rational brain.

There's our Human mind, which is rational, weighs up evidence and reaches careful and deliberate conclusions using cognition. It is where our highest values of humanity reside, it is where we can strategically plan our actions and think through the consequences of events and arrive at balanced and considered conclusions. It works five times slower than the Chimp.

And then there's the Computer, a bank of a remembered experiences full of automatic habits and responses, some good, some bad, the place where both our Human and our Chimp look for association and similar experiences when processing what's happening to us. The Computer works twenty times faster than our Human and four times faster than the Chimp.

Peters says that the first thing we need to do inside our heads is recognise these three powerful structures in our mind, if we do not we will always be running to catch up with ourselves.

The Chimp is as much a part of us as our Human brain and if we don't learn to manage the Chimp it may keep getting us into trouble again and again and again. The Chimp (emotional brain) is ancient, strong and fast-moving and as it works five times faster than the Human, it will sometimes beat that part of ourselves to responding. The Chimp is always active when we are unsettled or worried, it tends to think in black and white absolute terms, can be paranoid and often catastrophises things. As it was designed to keep us safe in a very dangerous prehistoric past you can see why it has been designed by natural selection to be like this. However it's fast, strong and often vicious responses don't often resolve many of the complex 21st century problems our lives are now full of. In our adolescent children the Chimp is often pumped up on hormones and also, with teenage self-esteem so brittle, the adolescent Chimp may see potential threats and slights much more readily than our more settled adult Chimps does.

Steven Peters recipe for managing the Chimp runs thus;

1. Recognise you have a Chimp and that it will respond sometimes when you are angry, stressed or perceive any kind of threat (physical or psychological or reputational) and it moves much more quickly than the Human part of your brain and it will likely embarrass you with its responses. It might shout and rage, be rude and angry or violent;

2. Watch for Chimp-like responses, these are easy to spot, they are responses which when you reflect later aren't ones you're proud of. They are likely the ones that if you had your time again you'd do differently, or they are the responses that you might, with the benefit of hindsight, think you need to apologise for;

3. Be aware that everyone has a Chimp and managing it is an everyday challenge, when we're tired or stressed our Chimp becomes more difficult to control and can overwhelm us more easily. Observe other people's responses,you can see Chimp behaviour everywhere;
4. Having become aware of your Chimp you can work on boxing your Chimp, ignoring it's instinctive and rapid reaction and giving yourself some thinking time to work out a better, more Human response;

5. We can use the Computer part of our brain, our automated habits, to put in responses faster than the Chimp can react. This takes time and practice, but if we make a conscious effort to put in a different response to the impulsive Chimp one, we can develop what Peters calls an Autopilot, which is a ---script or response that overrides the unhelpful Chimp response before it can be enacted.

________________________________________________________________________

Example of Computer trumping Chimp

Someone pulls in front of you when you're driving and instead of offering them some creative and energetic hand gestures, flashing your lights and standing on your horn you simply imagine that they are having a very difficult day, have an emergency to get to or simply didn't see you. This is an autopilot you had already programmed in over several days in preparation for the inevitable bad behaviour you sometimes see on the road. This means you do not react, drive more aggressively or head out into road-rage and instead arrive at your own destination calm and untrammeled by the experience that could have potentially de-stabilised your mood. (This kind of automated response will take training and practice developing an autopilot because each time it happens your chimp will react and respond very quickly and it's only the Computer part of your mind that can beat it.)
________________________________________________________________________

6. A Chimp response is a natural, if unhelpful response. As it is a prehistoric and simple creature it responds in simplistic, emotional ways. It's responses are not nuanced and complex enough to cope with anything beyond life or death survival. We can never be rid of it, but we can recognise it and circumvent it.

7. Nurture your autopilot responses to events or circumstances that keep recurring so you can ensure that the Chimp response doesn't define you.

8. Reflect on your responses during the day, identify Chimp-like responses and look at alternative ways of responding. You have to take responsibility for your chimp's responses.

9. Anticipate the Chimp, look ahead each day to see the moments when the Chimp might be more likely to react and respond so you can out think it in advance
10. The Chimp needs to be safe and secure in order to be calm, if you keep getting a Chimp response then it will because you are not feeling safe and secure (psychologically or physically or reputationally) and in order to address this repeated Chimp response you will need to address its anxieties regarding safety and security before it will be calm and you can respond with your Human rather than your Chimp.

Heartily recommended.

***** (A Rare five stars)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book, 9 Jan. 2012
this book is fantastic... i have been a profesional sportsman for 20n years winning 3 world titles..4 uk champs..4 masters titles plus many more titles... my journey has not always been the the best in terms of how i have felt about it.. many times vowing to retire.. it has been that hard.. in this time i have worked with many people to try and help me through the journey... and in my opionion nothing has come close to how this book explains things.. this book really helps you make the descions for yourself.. it gives you he tools to deal with all things life can throw at you.. it has enabled me to to see the wood through the trees.. it has helped me see that i was not going mad.. i just was not able to understand how my mind the machine works..i now am able to play snooker and not feel that my self worth depends on winning a game of snooker.. which i have done for years.. yes i still want to win.. but i dont need to define my self through having to win every snooker game i play in..i now feel able to play.. and handle the the negative thoughts which used to make me wanna lose and go home..and tell my self i did not want to compete..i had that mind set for years..
the book has also helped me make good choices in making time for the people who really matter in life.. this is called the troop.. and how much better life has got since getting the right people back in my life..tjhis has made i massive difference to my life.. it is ongoing.. and needs you to put the work in.. it wont just happen.. you need to make it happen.. the book really does offer simple but effective ways on how to really improve your life..i have red many self help books.. and worked with many people the field of self help.. and nothing comes close to to this model.. anyone can get something out of reading the book.. its one of those books u just wanna buy for people you know..u just know they will thank you for it.. and say i really got a lot out reading the book...and lets be honest .. what price can u put on being happy?..
Ronnie O'Sullivan

5.0 out of 5 stars Uni Course in Changing Your Life, 30 May 2015
It took me some months to complete this book. Not because it is tedious or badly written but because the concepts take time to absorb and begin to make sense.

Peters' credentials, his work with British Cycling, are flawless. The language used is clearly designed to be understood by the vast majority of people. The concepts are, however, hardcore science and very powerful. Watch out for self-help junkies commenting negatively - if they can quote a string of other books they deem better then clearly nothing so far is working for them. This book will work for most people willing to listen and implement the lessons.

Take your time. If you're going to change your life you won't do it by reading a book in 24 hours. It will take months, maybe a year or two. Understand each idea totally before moving to the next. Each idea on its own is relatively easy to grasp but there are loads of them and stitching them all together in a useful way takes time and patience.

I found some of the metaphors confusing at times. Humans and chimps fine. Then add computers, gremlins, goblins, autopilots and it's starting to get mixed up. And then add stones of life, planets, moons, and at one point cogs, and you wonder if there may have been a more consistent method of presenting the ideas. Don't make the mistake of dismissing the messages because you don't like how they are delivered though. See through the metaphorical irritations.

At the start of the book I had a highly paid but stressful job 200 miles from home, living out of a suitcase 4 days a week. Irritable, irritated, and irritating to others. Today, as I finish it, I've changed jobs, pay cut but still comfortably paid, a short commute from home. Changed the car, and have gone on holiday for the first time in 2 years. I felt my life changing as soon as I made decisions to solve everything making me stressed and unhappy, as soon as I started managing that chimp inside me and learning to recognise and deal with other chimps around me.

I must've changed to others too. Not only did I walk the interview for my new job but my old colleagues, with the single exception of the boss (complete with out of control misplaced ego / chimp) who was recipient of some honest feedback, all said how they would genuinely miss me with an affection I hadn't realised existed. At home and with friends I'm more relaxed and sociable, less introverted and more confident than I can ever recall since very young childhood.

Next task... start the book again from the beginning as I'm sure I've missed things or not really understood them first time. I expect my journey to take a year or so but others may take more or less time. A friend also reading the book has finished a damaging relationship after years of being unhappy and is going slower than me. It is good to have someone else working through the book though as you can talk chimp things through without appearing a nutcase.

Don't rush this - it's like doing a university course over a couple of terms not a weekend read. No-one can guarantee success but I wish those who give it a genuine go the very best of luck, though you make your own luck really and this book shows you how. Off for some sangria overlooking the blue ocean now. Thanks Dr Steve Peters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Infinite monkeys, 11 Sept. 2012
Honestly, I had to decide between 5 stars and 2.5 for this book.

In the end, I gave it 5 stars, because the basic premise of the book, the idea that we have a 'chimp' who cannot change or be changed, but who we need to manage, has been so liberating to me.

I have a tendency to be anxious and am always very hard on myself. I work in a teaching environment, so I expect that I should be able to learn from past mistakes and shouldn't (for example) get anxious over trivialities. Yet, despite learning CBT techniques, I still find myself getting anxious about whether I have done well enough at work or what other people think of me (although I hide it well and come across as very confident). This has given me even more reason to beat myself up and so the cycle continued.

Now when I get anxious, I simply see it as my chimp playing up. It is something I cannot stop, but I can try and foresee and manage. My life hasn't turned around, but it has radically improved just by this one type of mental imagery.

I also appreciated the emphasis on values and how these define us as humans, which allowed me to get perspective on some issues.

This book should not be read as a psychology text book or as a guide to the workings of the brain. It is a suggested mindset to help deal with life, for those who find they struggle (and that's most of us sometimes). As I see it, the chimp represents evolutionary drives, the 'human' is the essences of me/you or conscious selves.

OK - now for the bad bit. The structure of the book does not make sense. There is a computer and an autopilot, there are goblins and gremlins, there are various planets and moons and in amongst them all friends, success, stress and communication. It's all just too confusing and muddled. Maybe it will make more sense on second reading, or perhaps these are areas to be dipped into when needed. But ideally, I think the author should re-think/re-write the structure.

I would still recommend this book without hesitation though.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Chimp Paradox: The Acclaimed Mind..., 1 Mar. 2015
The style is condescending, repetitive, demeaning to the reader and and contains little more than a re-hash of some of the Neuro-Linguistic Programming ideas from the early 70's.
The author may be a highly regarded psychiatrist and coach, however this book is sadly disappointing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Full of blathering, laboured analogies, 19 Oct. 2014
I'm a third of the way through this book and practically all that space has been given to creating a taxonomy. There are gremlins, goblins, autopilots, the chimp, the human, the sun, planets, moons... Why did it take a third of the book to describe this? The analogies get more and more laboured. There's probably going to be some sort of laser guidance system, astronauts, space monsters and god knows what else. I've found it very difficult to read because it's just been like reading a shopping list.

If the author just gave us the science without trying to turn it into a childrens story book, I might have had the perseverance to finish it.

5.0 out of 5 stars THe Chimp Paradox, 30 Oct. 2013
I found this a great book that i couldn't put down. It does help to re programme your mind and be more positive about everything!
I am trying to get my daughter to read as shes at College and feel she could benefit from it also.
Its very complicated to explain just buy and read it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - helpful advice on so many levels., 18 Sept. 2012
I came across this book after seeing Dr Steve Peters in a documentary about Team GB Cycling Olympic gold medallist, Victoria Pendleton, whom he has worked with to help her overcome anxiety.

But this is a book for everyone, not just athletes and not just people who suffer from anxiety.

It's a practical guide to managing your emotions and the way your mind works that should be useful to everyone. It's helped me think about things in a more constructive way, and I am continuing to put his ideas into practice, especially around managing feelings of stress. It's also great on thinking about how you can

It is, in one sense, self-help. However there isn't a single fanciful idea in the book - it is scientific, thorough, and based on an experienced medical expert's point of view. It acknowledges the complexity of the human mind and then goes about offering a model for managing it that anyone can understand and put to good use.

I listened to the audio version of the book, which was so good I also bought a Kindle version for reference. Dr Peters reads the book himself, in a calm, even tone.

Thoroughly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Taking Control, 12 Nov. 2012
jules (bristol england) - See all my reviews
My doctor recommended this book to me as I struggled to cope following the death of my husband. It is written in plain English and easy to follow, with an amount of humour and has helped me to begin to understand myself. I have passed it to a friend and he too is benefitting from reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Just For Sporting Greats But For Everyone!, 9 July 2012
After a troubled upbringing I have always battled my own thoughts, leading to a few years in Psychotherapy in my early 30's. I am a businessman with a family and am generally quite happy - but for a few bad habits and occasional cycles of depression and bad anxiety. I have never understood why, and the Psychotherapy never worked for me.

I bought this book after hearing others speak about it (namely Ronnie when he won the snooker this year). I have just been on holiday for 2 weeks and read the book and have been amazed at the quick results in changing my outlook on life, my attitude towards others and my confidence levels!! My friends and family have all noticed a happier man, more relaxed, more forgiving and less anxious about the little things in life.

Buy this book. It costs the same as a few pints of beer and it has changed my life, giving me the mindset and tools needed to manage the part of my brain which always held me back.

This book should be available on the NHS. It should be handed out to teenagers in schools. I will offer this book to my own children and encourage them to take on board the principles to live a more productive and happy life. I gave the book to a friend, and since he has finished reading it he bought 5 copies for his family!!!

I hope you enjoy this book as much as I did, and just want to add - I believe Dr Peters is a very clever man indeed.