6,213 Reviews
 (4,998)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Fault in Our Stars
Let me start out by saying that this book ripped my heart from my chest, crumpled it and then proceeded to throw it on the ground and trample on it in the most beautiful way imaginable.
I was slightly hesitant going into this book as I don't read many contemporary novels, and it was so hyped up by both friends and reviews I've read/seen about it that I was sure I was...
Published 10 months ago by Alexandra

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings
Hazel was diagnosed with metastatic thyroid cancer at the age of thirteen. Three years later the disease is being kept at bay indefinitely thanks to an experimental new drug. Her days are spent carting her oxygen tank between college, home, and Cancer Kid Support Group. Her treatment regime means that she has little time for friends her own age, and besides, now that...
Published 22 months ago by Marie

5.0 out of 5 stars Purely Amazing., 28 Dec 2013
I had extremely high expectations before reading this book and I can honestly say that it lived up to every single one of them. Hazel and Augustus are characters with a real story, a story you not only read, but imagine. The book itself is amazingly written, reducing me to tears and making me smile like an idiot. John Green is a fantastically talented writer and the story of Augustus Waters and Hazel Grace Lancaster is one I will never forget.
I strongly suggest you read this book no matter who you are or what you normally read.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZE, 23 Aug 2014
This is one of my favourite books ever. It is about a girl named Hazel Grace Lancaster and her battle with Cancer. It shows exactly how life is like battling cancer, like how you are scared that when you die your parents won't have a chance at another life and how you have to do things you don't want to but you still try to have a normal life. Hazel has to go to support group where she meets Augustus Waters and they fall in love. I think that it is very honest and hard hitting and quite sad so it might not be for you. I think this book deserves 5 stars because it is IMPOSSIBLE to put down.

If you like this book I would recommend books such as Wonder and Looking For Alaska

2.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelming, 27 July 2014
This review is from: The Fault in Our Stars (Paperback)
Just didn't do much for me at all. I've read a couple of John Green's books (who, as a person, I am a personal fan of) and I feel the same dissatisfaction whenever I finish one of his novels, that "is that it?" feeling. It's a tear baiter. But the bait sucks. The protagonists, I find to be obnoxious and, sorry to say it, very two-dimensional. They're too self-aware, I guess some people like that, and they hold themselves in very high esteem. Give me a reason to hold you in some esteem too. I read the book through intermittent rolls of my eyes. Hazel watches America's Next Top Model. Wow, how fascinating that she dumbs herself down to watch shows that millions of people enjoy. She's so human. Augustus walks around with an unlit cigarette in his mouth for crying out loud. Oh my God that's so ironic and deep. I can't remember his ridiculous reason for why, but all I know is that is some pretentious bullsh*t.

For a book that is so consciously trying to avoid being overtly sentimental, it all came across as crazily melodramatic and a more uptight version of Nicholas Sparks "A Walk to Remember". I was just really, really unimpressed. I'd still like to see the movie, because these kinds of stories play out pretty well on the screen. With a sappy soundtrack and a few heart-wrenching performances it may even get the tears it begging for. However, as I said, I like John Green and I'm glad for his success I will keep reading his books and hoping for better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Faultless, 13 Nov 2014
This is the first John Green book I've had the pleasure of reading, and if the rest are ever half as good as this one I'm going to be in heaven. About 5 years ago an ex of mine recommended me Looking for Alaska . I never got around to reading it while we were together and when we split I tried to avoid everything that reminded me of them as much as possible. I wish I hadn't. This book has had me laughing, crying and begging to know what happened next. I had it for a few days on my Kindle and when I was looking for something new to read I thought I would give it a shot, well my Kindle hardly left my hand that day haha.

The book is based on real situations, heartbreaking situations but real. And yet John Green still has the power to put humour in there, young love and adventure. Even though Hazel & Augustus are both riddled with cancer some how they never let it beat them. They don't cut themselves of from the world just waiting to die and expecting people to feel sorry for them, they just in a way get on with it.

This book is wonderful. Just wonderful, and as a first John Green book for me I've got to say, I've caught the bug haha. His ability to attach you to his characters is something I haven't seen in a long time. They are intelligent, inspirational and insightful. Not only are the main characters well written and thought out but any of the characters that pop in and out of the book also , along with Hazel & Gus, will pop in and out of your heart.

In all honesty, I'm not sure what to say about this book that hasn't already been said. There isn't much I can say because everyone will feel something different while reading it. So I'll leave you with something Hazel said instead, in hope that it will show you why myself like so many others find it hard to say anything other than "perfection" about this book :).

“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books…which you can’t tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.”

2.0 out of 5 stars Although Green's writing is at times wonderfully witty, humorous and, 25 Oct 2014
I'm going to keep it brief. I bought this book thinking it was an LGBT novel--the figures on the cover are very androgynous, and with Amazon's ridiculously small cover sizes... I thought they were two men. Which is perfectly reasonable, considering that Green is known for this genre.

Most of my negativity stems from that. (It's quite a new feeling for me: my usual genre--Fantasy--is not one which can be mistaken for anything else.)

However, I must say that I have other issues with this book. Although Green's writing is at times wonderfully witty, humorous and, well, powerful; I did, nonetheless, feel that it was cheesy and/or forced in places. Moreover: I felt that the prose was quite average outside of the rare quotes. While a few descriptions of Gus seemed to generate some pretty powerful imagery, everything else was "Meh."

Having not read far, I won't comment on the plot.

Instead, I'll comment on what some critics have said. They criticise Green's novel for the apparent wisdom of the teenagers, and their almost flippant wit in the face of the tragedy that is teenage cancer.

I don't believe that's the problem. No: there are teenagers out there who are very wise indeed, and witty, and who do have the power to face (say) cancer, and say: "F*** you."

But Green's characters aren't those. That kind of person--who is wise beyond their years, smarter than any age, and who fights in the face of all odds--is *special*. And Green's characters ain't special: they're just ordinary teenagers that have been falsely morphed to suit the ends of the novel.

So there you go. Perhaps, as you may be thinking, I should have given the book a chance. Well, I'm tired of giving chances. There are some amazing books out there, and I don't think the Fault in Our Stars is one of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerfully and amazing, 24 Oct 2014
The fault in our stars is a perfect example of brilliant literature. Their are many different ways to identify a good book. To me, a good book should make you fall in love(not really in love but you know what I mean) with the main characters from the moment you meet them and it should lead you on an emotional roller coaster, making you laugh out loud and making you cry floods. For example, when Augustus Waters was living his last days and after he dyed, I went through a whole box of tissues, NO JOKE!!!!!!!!!! However, this may have been because I had a slightly MASSIVE crush on Augustus, but who wouldn't( unless you are a boy of course) because Green has written this so well that it is impossible to hate any of the characters, apart from Isaac`s ( and to quote Hazel) `Evil girlfriend`!
Green has written this book in a way that makes it powerfull and hard hitting as well as adding humour to liven our spirit at the Dark points in the book. I feel like I'm dragging on a bit so I'll make my final point.
In school when we have finished a book or when we are asked to look at a pier`s piece of work as are asked to give it a star and a wish, so to add a cliche I'll give it just that!
STAR- I love how you know exactly what the book is about by the end of chapter one and how we are introduced to most of the charictors by then. I like how it's fast and not boring because believe me, I have fell asleep in the middle of a sentence too many times during Michael Mupurgo books.
WISH-I know it's stupid but I wish Gus hadn't died because he was my favourite character!!!!!!
Thank you for your time!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars a heart felt read very good book, 19 Oct 2014
« my weekly wrap up and book of the week
OCT
The fault in our stars by john green
BY AJBOOKREVIEWCLUB ON OCTOBER 19, 2014

THE FAULT IN OUR STARS BY JOHN GREEN
THE BLURB
John Green’s witty yet heart-breaking tour de force. The multi-million #1 bestseller, now a major motion picture starring Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort.

“I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, then all at once.”

Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel’s story is about to be completely rewritten.

Insightful, bold, irreverent, and raw, The Fault in Our Stars is award-winning author John Green’s most ambitious and heartbreaking work yet, brilliantly exploring the funny, thrilling, and tragic business of being alive and in love.

WHAT I SAY
i really loved this book since i read i have seen the film too both are good
It was a quick read for me i finish in one night

Hazel been terminally ill for a few years now. Augustus is a cancer survivor the book tell you how people cope with cancer how do people cope ?
Hazel days are very hard she has to be in her oxygen tent most of the time . She was one of the lucky ones that has tried out new drugs ( i should not say a lucky one as the drugs are so experience and can or can not help her they cause her pain so i say not so lucky )
She has got to be strong she got a fab cancer support group they are a really great help to her .

When one day in walks this kid hazel is draw to him she not sure why he called Gus . They seem to hit it off straight the way they soon become friends and then they start a relationship it was so nice to hear about it .
Both Hazel and Gus are great characters both very deep .

Hazel love for her parents is so nice to hear her parents were wonderful their support was so good did they do to much for her ? How would you cope ? You do cope you just take each day as you come to it you help your children all you can do is be there for them it so hard on them they coped so well i felt for them . Her narrative were good like what she thinks why she should not be in a relationship with Gus cause of the cancer
I liked that she went to the support group it helps her to see that other are in the same boat as her

Isaac a boy at the group had lost his eye. He was a very nice character Gus and him got on so well both of them loved telling jokes . They all seem to help each other Gus had lost his leg too him and Isaac seem to joke to each other about what they lost i think this brought them closer as friends they will all way there for each other a text , call or visit away any time day or night i thought that was so special . A wonderful friend to have .

Gus was a very handsome guy he was very quick with his witty ness. He loved Hazel he does not care she may die or him he just going to live for now i enjoy hearing about them hanging out what they got up to . They just wanted to be normal young adult hanging out both have a few mood swings
Hazel gives Gus a book to read an imperial affliction she just so in love with this book but why did the book end so fast she wants to know can they find out
Both are set on doing just that they have a few problem with the doctors they so got to find out why the author ended his book like that.
Gus uses his cancer wish to do just that
Oh what fun they had You get to hear all about the fab trip to see the author who wrote the book can he tell them the answer they want to hear ?
What could go wrong on the trip ? What will happen i was hooked on the plot so will you be how will the book end you got to read it to find out

The whole book very good the romance is nice the love all the character share was so nice to hear about the support group was very heartbreaking to hear them talk about they illness but what a fab group for them
The end not want i though would happen or was it ? what did you think?
The book shows that young people with cancer can still have a life like normal they were so positive about things it shows . it showed me that happiness can still exist it gave you a insight to this horrific disease
The book about love , friendship support and family
It will make you think. All
the characters are loveable and very funny at times i liked them all my heat when out to them
The plot is surprising at times a wonderfully written book
I would recommend you all read it my gem book
6 stars a very good read one to keep
Please pick up a copy to read you will love it i did

5.0 out of 5 stars No 'Fault' in 'The Fault In Our Stars', 18 Oct 2014
Title: The Fault In Our Stars
Author: John Green
Directed by: Josh Boone
Staring: Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort
Genre: Romantic comedy-drama

The book 'The fault in our stars' has been staring me in the face from my bedside table for months. I know now I should have plucked up the courage to read it sooner but the thought of crying my eyes out made me wary. In fact it made me so wary that I only started reading it three hours before I was supposed to be seeing the film.
Thankfully I finished reading with watery eyes while sitting beside my grandmother in hospital which probably wasn't the best idea as it made the book even more real. But I'm not known for being sensible.
The heartwarming and heart wrenching story of Hazel Grace and Augustus Walters was beautifully brought to life by Josh Boone. Yes, there were differences, a few line swaps between characters and altered hair colours but nothing that isn't acceptable with artistic licence.
This film made the book come to life and despite having to sit between two odd characters one man who didn't know how to use a tissue on my right and a weirdo who appeared to be only crying out of one eye on the left the film was magical.
There is no doubt in my mind that this film is a future oscar winner with the cheesy one liners, acerbic wit and a love that causes the manliest men to cry. This story may be heart wrenching but at the same time provides an odd sort of hope that is very hard to create through writing and film.
For those who haven't read this masterpiece I strongly recommend you do but do so with a box of tissues closely at your side.
For more reviews like this check out my blog www.hummingbirdreviews.blog.com

Book blurb

Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

4.0 out of 5 stars Read this book. Enjoy the romance. But look below the surface., 18 Oct 2014
When one’s transplant nurse recommends a book with a joke about her own profession (see below), one seriously thinks about reading that book. But then, upon looking up that book on Amazon UK, and finding that the blurb says

… one has one’s doubts. I read plenty of romance novels, but they’re all historical, and I have been known to be quite vocal about my intense dislike of Romeo and Juliet and Twilight-ish teen romances. In short, I HATE THEM. But enough about that and on to this book.

Going by my gut feeling that CNS Wood could not possibly have told me that I would like such wimpy rubbish as the blurb implied The Fault in Our Stars would be, I went ahead and downloaded a sample chapter (thank goodness for the Kindle app). And found that it started pretty well. So I bought the ebook. And then found the section which spawned her humour.

The nurse left. “Is she gone?”
I nodded, then realized he couldn’t see me nod. “Yeah,” I said.
“I’ll see? Really? Did she seriously say that?”
“Qualities of a Good Nurse: Go,” I said.
“1. Doesn’t pun on your disability,” Isaac said.
“2. Gets blood on the first try,” I said.
“Seriously, that is huge. I mean is this my freaking arm or a dartboard? 3. No condescending voice.”
“How are you doing, sweetie?” I asked, cloying.
“I’m going to stick you with a needle now. There might be a little ouchie.”
“Is my wittle fuffywump sickywicky?” he answered. And then after a second, “Most of them are good, actually. I just want the hell out of this place.”

Now I like her even more than I did before, and am so very glad that she does not talk to me like that! And it is also true that you say ‘thank you’ a lot in hospital, and I think we’re called patients because you do need a heck of a lot of patience…. there is an insane amount of waiting involved – waiting for diagnoses, treatments, tests and results, operations; and waiting, sometimes in vain, to get better.

So, as the blurb says, Hazel is a teen with terminal cancer (yes, there are characters that die in the book but not too predictably – it is a book about someone with terminal cancer after all, which is rather unforgiving). She goes to Cancer Support Group, and meets Gus, they hit it off, and then proceed to have a rather predictable romance.

This is alleviated, firstly, by the fact that both of them are rather erudite, and by virtue of their having been ill so young, are far more mature than the average teen; secondly, that Hazel’s love for the (fictional) book An Imperial Affliction and her need to know what happened after causes most of the book’s action. I won’t reveal more than this as that would be way too many spoilers and this is too good a book for that.

For me, hitting, as the story does, so close to home with my own chronic and incurable illness, many of the book’s romantic themes struck fewer emotional responses than the truths told about being an ailing person – its effects on friends and family, its connotations for the rest of your life, and how you become ‘that person who has xyz’, rather than who you really are, or even who you were before you were ill.

Life before, and life after.

All conversations begin with ‘you’re looking good, so how are you doing’ instead of just ‘hi’. And even though you know it’s meant as an expression that they care, sometimes it is rather depressing to know that the first thing someone thinks about when they see you used to be YOU and now it’s the ailment, and that you have to talk about it in every conversation – but at the same time, weirdly, if they don’t ask you feel like somethings’ missing! But there are of course those gems of people who ask, genuinely listen to the (very short) reply, and then move on to other things – perfection.

Family members are truly the hardest hit, and for parents to see their child go through so much pain and to know that there is no hope for survival in the long term, Hazel’s

I went to Support Group for the same reason that I’d once allowed nurses with a mere eighteen months of graduate education to poison me with exotically named chemicals: I wanted to make my parents happy. There is only one thing in this world s***tier than biting it from cancer when you’re sixteen, and that’s having a kid who bites it from cancer. {…} Most of the time, I could forget about it, but the inexorable truth is this: They might be glad to have me around, but I was the alpha and the omega of my parents’ suffering.

… is so evocative of things that you feel when you are at your worst…

People talk about the courage of cancer patients, and I do not deny that courage. I had been poked and stabbed and poisoned for years, and still I trod on. But make no mistake: In that moment, I would have been very, very happy to die.

…. which you never ever say to any of the people around you, and the things that people say to you …

“This is just a thing, Hazel,” my mom said. “It’s a thing we can live with.”

… upon which you then really wonder whether it is or whether it would be better to just stop. But then this happens …

My hair looked like a bird’s nest; my shuffling gait like a dementia patient’s. I felt a little better each day, though: Each sleep ended to reveal a person who seemed a bit more like me.

… and you think, okay, maybe just a bit longer. Until the next time …

I went into the bathroom, took my first shower in a week, got dressed, and when I got out, I was so tired I had to lie down and get my breath.

…. the vicious cycle just goes on never-endingly.

One parent invariably takes the burden of finding out everything there is to know, ferrying you between home and hospital and doing everything and anything; between the two of you, you pretty much know almost as much as the doctors. My father and I are encyclopaedic in our knowledge of my CKD though it has its negative effects on my overactive imaginaton, as Hazel expresses so well.

My shoulder hurt. I worried the cancer had spread from my lungs. I imagined the tumor metastasizing into my own bones, boring holes into my skeleton, a slithering eel of insidious intent.

And then other characters in the book deal with their own worries, and bring to the reader’s mind other concerns than family and carers.

What happens to you and your own self-esteem when your romantic partner tells you that they want to break up before you get worse because they can’t handle it. You can, so why can’t they, you think… it’s often far more difficult for those around the chronically and terminally ill to deal with the illness than the patient themselves. They are alive and want to live their lives free of guilt and illness. And, as Green says via his characters, illness and disability repulses – not just physically, but emotionally.

I recently watched Rachel Stevenson’s In Sickness and In Health, about her journey through donating a kidney to her husband. She begins with an admission that what she did was selfish. Throughout the film she repeats one thing – she want their life to go back to ‘normal’, to what she envisioned their life as a couple being.

‘I want my life back – I want our life back’.

Her spare kidney might not bring back normality. And her husband’s reaction is also something to think about – how do you deal with taking a vital organ from your wife, when you know that your brother’s has already failed within you. It was natural for me to accept my father’s because I would have done the same for him, but my constant fear is that his kidney that’s given me back a semi-normal life will fail or that my body will reject it, and I will have wasted his loving gesture.

The Fault in Our Stars expresses also Hazel’s wish not to affect the lives of those around her too much, because she is a ‘time-bomb’ that may go off at any time, leaving devastation in her wake. Gus, however, is of the persuasion that you should take love and life when you can get it, live to the fullest extent, however little that may be, and enjoy it while you can.

As Stevenson says in her film,

We expect so much from the big moments in life, but it’s been the small things that have turned out to be the most important.

Read this book. Enjoy the romance. But look below the surface. Apply the lessons it teaches to your own life. You may not be ill. You may not be short on time. But enjoy life anyway. Treasure each happy moment – you’ll realise they were special later on. Do what you want to do sooner rather than later. You never know what’s around the corner.

And as a friend (or someone) said, when life throws you a curve ball, just pause, yell ‘PLOT TWIST!’ and carry on.

PS. I just found out that the book is apparently being released as a film sometime in 2014. I watched the trailer, and am not pleased with their interpretation… seems to have turned into the standard Romeo and Juliet pap. Ah well, trailers are sometimes deceptive. We shall see if the depth of the book translated well. Hope it’s not like Ender’s Game, one of my all-time favourite books. Which I should also review at some point.

(Review first published by Arati Devasher on bookweyr.com)

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely for teenagers, 6 Oct 2014
This review is from: The Fault in Our Stars (Paperback)
I think I should start by saying that I did enjoy this book. For everything else this book caused, I at least wanted to read it and found it generally fulfilling. However, a book about two teenagers with cancer was never going to be a happy, pick-me-up book.

Hazel is the main protagonist, with terminal cancer. Her life is being prolonged by experimental medicines but, as she constantly reminds the reader, she will die eventually. She meets Augustus “Gus” at a support group for teenage sufferers. The book from there on details their growing relationship and love for each other.

Before reading this book, I had received mixed views on it. Most official reviews were positive with many authors proclaiming it to be a brilliant piece of young adult literature. However, opinions were divided when I asked for thoughts on it. Some criticised the level of writing, claiming it to be poorly written and on par with the Twilight Saga for literary prowess; others found the storyline uninteresting and boring. I have to say, I partially agree about the way it is written. It’s not a complex book and sometimes you wonder whether something was written appropriately. Then there are sections that, to me, seemed perfectly wonderful examples of how books should be scripted. I particularly enjoyed the trip to Amsterdam and the conversations Hazel and Gus have about metaphorical resonances. The ending did seem rushed to me though. It was like there was this massive build-up which ended in this sweet but wholly disappointing finish. I was left with this feeling that book hadn’t ended, but maybe that was the author’s intention.

My main issue with The Fault in Our Stars was the emotions it brought out in me. Now I like a book that makes me think, feel joy, cry a little maybe. I’m not so found of ones that give me recurring nightmares. I had a close friend Charlie pass away after spending a good few years battling a brain tumour. I miss him very much and find I think about him most days. However, this book turned my quiet and fairly manageable sadness into an assault of nightmares, mood swings and listening to the playlist of music, which I made specifically because the songs remind me of him, pretty much on loop. This book brought back the pain from the few days after Charlie died. In a way, this is good because it is now motivating me to do something for Charlie so I can honour his memory. It still hurts though.

I think this book is definitely something every young person should read. The insights into cancer are spot on and it does have a wonderful and heart-breaking plot. On an academic level, it is a good book to critically analyse the writing style. But most of all, it’s a very human book and one which would appeal to lots of young people on the cusp of adulthood.