5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing
Published on 20 May 2009 by Ellis Bell

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad
Quite an interesting story about parallel lives. Travels back and forth in time - nice easy read for bedtime or holiday read
Published 19 months ago by Mrs. J. Marsh

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 20 May 2009
This review is from: Mariana (Paperback)
In Mariana, Julia Beckett moves from London to Greywethers, a house in the country that has seemingly called out to her for years. She begins having "flashbacks" of sorts, to when she was Mariana Farr, a young woman living during the Restoration. Not only does Julia live the life of her predecessor, she actually is Mariana, feeling her feelings and thinking her thoughts.

This is the second Susanna Kearsley novel I've read (after Sophia's Secret, which is fantastic, too), and let me just say that she's won herself another fan. The world of the late 17th century is portrayed in painstaking detail, and Kearsley's modern-day world is just as meticulously described. I've said this about other split-time novels, but it so often happens that books like this one sacrifice the modern-day narrative for that which takes place in the past; not so with this book. Mariana sweeps you off your feet from the very first page.

What I also like about Susanna Kearsley's books is that her endings are never strictly "happy," per se (sort of a weird way of thinking, I know), but there's always the potential for happiness. This sort of ambiguity works, in a strange way; you never know what, exactly, to expect. I can't wait to read more of Kearsley's novels; I've recently tracked down used copies of Named of the Dragon, The Shadowy Horses, and Seasons of Storms. It's too bad that Kearsley's novels aren't more widely available; she's a great writer who knows how to tell a good story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marianna - A romantic saga, 15 Jan 2003
This review is from: Mariana (Hardcover)
Breathtaking account of a romantic journey one woman faces.
Based on intuition and a natural curiosity, she discovers an amazing lifetime that she lived centuries prior, and manages to incorporate this past into her present.
Reliving her past in a current time frame, she is reunited with a man she adores, and searches for his existence in present day.

5.0 out of 5 stars HAUNTING...SPELLBINDING...POIGNANT..., 30 July 2009
Lawyeraau (Balmoral Castle) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Mariana (Paperback)
It is no wonder that this book won the 1993 Catherine Cookson Fiction Prize! It is a beautifully written book, and those who love the books of Anya Seton, Barbara Erskine, Victoria Holt, and Catherine Cookson will love reading "Mariana". It is, without a doubt, a great read that is sure to captivate the reader.

The book takes the main character, Julia Beckett, to a past life, after she purchases a beautiful old sixteenth century house named Greywethers. She has loved the house and been drawn to it ever since she was a young child. Once she moves in, however, life as she knew it ends, and life as Mariana, one half of a pair of star crossed lovers, begins.

Mariana lived in the seventeenth century. She and her beloved, Richard de Mornay, the lord of Crofton Hall Manor, were never to live happily ever after, as their life together came to an abrupt end. Yet, they were to be reunited, as his dying words prophesied.

It awaited Julia to make things come full circle. As Julia undergoes a past life regression and relives portions of Mariana's life, she ultimately realizes that the past is often found in the present. More important, what once went wrong in the past, may be made right in the present.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mariana by Susanna Kearsley, 15 April 2009
Stephen Dee (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mariana (Paperback)
It is said that the first page of any book is a tell tale sign as to how the rest of the book will flow. From its beginning 'Mariana' sweeps you up into an incredable journey of its herorine Julia Beckett. Susanna Kearsley manages to create haunting scenes that are so easily imagined that real life as it should when reading a book ceases to exist.
The story follows Julia's move from London to a small countryside village to live in a house that she seems destined to keep finding. Surrounded by strangers and ghosts Julia will uncover an impossible love affair that will directly affect her own life. This is a definate must for Barbara Erskine fans and while I haven't read anything else by Susanna Kearsley that is about to change.
'Mariana' is an engaging novel of haunting passions that will stay tumbling through your mind long after you finish the last page.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fabulous Book, 11 April 2002
This review is from: Mariana (Mass Market Paperback)
I was so pleased to find this book. I thoroughly enjoyed The Shadowy Horses, but I thought that this was even better. It was beautifully descriptive and atmospheric, and the time travel elements were woven skilfully into the story. Evocative and moving, this is one of the best books I have read this year.

4.0 out of 5 stars Only the ending lets it down., 2 July 2011
StarPlayer (B'ham England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mariana (Paperback)
Along with the other reviewers that have given it 4 stars, I too thought the ending was abrupt.

I keep on wondering, what would have happened when Geoff came back from France? Also, what was his phone call going to be about? Was it important? Not a predictable ending I must admit, but I would have liked her to have had more interaction with Iain. I would also have liked to know more about Iain's experiences. I think the book could have done with an epilogue to tie up the ending more neatly.

Lovely book but the ending lets it down slightly.

4.0 out of 5 stars A NEW AUTHOR, 28 Dec 2010
This review is from: Mariana (Paperback)
This book was donated to a charity morning I was helping to organise or I might never have come across Susanna Kearsley. I decided to buy the book for myself and found it an excellent read BUT like one of your other reviewers I was disappointed with the ending. I don't like the predictable and so I am always pleased when an ending surprises but this one just didn't work for me. I was taken aback by Iain's revelation and even more by her sudden switch of affections. I can think of other endings including one where she realises that the interpretation is wrong and so her search has to continue - perhaps for a few more centuries. But I shall now explore this author especially as so many other reviewers have praised her other works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 24 Jun 2010
This review is from: Mariana (Paperback)
I loved this time travel story when I read this years ago. The new cover is a little desceptive in showing the reader that the books is set mainly in the 17th century, but the story is undoubtedly one of my favourites. The heroine stays with you long after you finish reading the last page. The details are rich and sweep you away so that you feel a part of both worlds.
If you like time-slip novels, do yourself a favour and read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mariana by Susanna Kearsley, 16 May 2009
This review is from: Mariana (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book. At first I thought it would belong to my 'trash' list of books, but I was soon proved otherwise. It was well written, which is always an important factor to me. A great 'escapist' story from modern day living. The subject of reincarnation was fascinating. I can strongly recommend this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 30 Nov 2012
Mrs. J. Marsh (Haverigg, Cumbria, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mariana (Kindle Edition)

Mariana