1,496 Reviews
 (1,185)

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark and delicious
As a rule I don't read crime or thrillers. It's not that I haven't enjoyed some (I have) it's simply that there's so much out there and only so much time. And I tend to be drawn to other genres.
However, I heard about this début on Twitter and I had to give it a go. I am SO glad that I did. It's fantastic. Many readers have said what a page turner it is, and I...
Published on 7 Mar 2011 by Laura Wilkinson

3.0 out of 5 stars Everyone seems to love it. I didn't.
This is the first novel by Elizabeth Haynes, and it's one that I can imagine some people will like a lot, others will struggle to finish, and yet others will just think 'meh'. The promotional blurb declares "This is an edgy and powerful first novel, utterly convincing in its portrayal of obsession, and a tour de force of suspense", but this is only partly true -...
Published on 10 April 2011 by OEJ

‹ Previous | 1137 138 139150 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing, Brilliant, Unforgettable BUY IT, 28 Sep 2011
I bought this book as I have never witnessed so many 5 star ratings in my life - over 300 to date - and oh my word, you will not be disappointed. How it took me this long to find this book I don't know, I have already bought 3 paper copies for friends as gifts as this is seriously un-put-downable, although at one point the suspense was so tight, I had to make a cup of coffee and think about what had just happened. Trust me, you will not be disappointed. Suitable for male and female readers. I finished this in 24 hours.

4.0 out of 5 stars Claustrophobic and intense, 26 Sep 2011
Brida "izumi" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I hesitated over reading this novel for a long time. The reason for my hesitation is that, working with abused women, I realised that this book would be a reminder of work rather than an escape from it. I finally decided to read it when a friend from work lent it to me, saying that although its about domestic abuse, it is so well written that she was gripped by it.

INTO THE DARKEST CORNER tells the story of Cathy; a young woman who thinks she finds the man of her dreams, only to discover that he is more of a nightmare than a dream come true. The structure of the novel is split between two timeframes - we are taken back to the very beginning of Cathy's relationship with Lee, seeing how they met and watching as their relationship developed. The second timeframe allows us to see Cathy as she is following the relationship with Lee. What this means is that we are able to 'witness' how Cathy goes from being a strong, confident young woman to living in fear, trapped by her own OCD. The very beginning of the novel tells us in quite meticulous detail how Cathy obsessively checks her flat; the windows and doors, even the cutlery in her drawer. This results in the book feeling very suffocating and claustrophobic; admittedly, I really had to make a conscious effort to persevere with it at first. Yet I am now glad that I did. It is a chilling and thrilling read. Almost compulsively, you have to carry on just to discover if Cathy really is free of Lee and what may happen if she isn't.

Obviously, this novel is not an easy read. The details of the abuse and violence are traumatic to read - and not just the physical aspects; the mind games he played with her are just as chilling as the full blown force of his rage. As a worker in this area, I can attest to just how realistic this novel felt. Haynes has managed to create characters who feel very real; the action is not unbelieveable, and the way she has written about OCD is brilliant. The title is very apt, not only does Cathy get pushed into the darkest corner of her world, but we as the reader are also pushed in there with her, forced to witness the darkest corner of what some humans do to other human beings.
I recommend this novel but with a slight hint of trepidation - because of the subject matter and the punch that it delivers, be prepared for a dark, unsetlling journey. It's perhaps best left off the holiday list.

4.0 out of 5 stars This one scared me!, 23 Sep 2011
Arrrhhhh, I'm scared now! I remember Sleeping with the Enemy, that freaked me out, but this made me want to run screaming from everyone. It is by turn's compulsive, repulsive and compelling. It beats all thrillers I've read recently and I think I shall be returning to the slightly less terrifying world of fantasy from now on.

4.0 out of 5 stars Intense emotions, 31 Aug 2011
Although initially I was a little confused by the changing dates, which was my fault for not reading them carefully I found this book to be very thought provoking. it gives an emphatic view of the emotions the heroine goes through whilst she is struggling to cope with obsessive and compulsive habits resulting from a traumatic relationship. Any readers struggling with emotions themselves may find the Book 'Feeling Depressed, Quick Tips To Change Your Mood by Dr H Pilgrim', very helpful. Feeling Depressed; Quick Tips To Change Your Mood I understand that this is the start of a series and 'Feeling Anger, Quick Tips to Change Your Mood' will be published very soon.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 22 Aug 2011
I did enjoy this book, but am not as enthusiastic about it as other people seem to be. I found the plot to be quite predictable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Into the Darkets Corner, 8 Aug 2011
This is an unbelievable book haven't got to the end yet but I must say it is a can't put down book, damn work!

5.0 out of 5 stars Chilling., 6 Aug 2011
S. Firth (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
Yes that's a word to describe this book brilliantly, chilling. I bought it on my Kindle for 99p and i wouldn't have minded buying it at full price it's such an amazing book. I won't go into all the details of who is who as you can see that from other reviews before me. I can't even believe that this book has any bad reviews and i rarely tell people to ignore bad reviews but in this case you must.

The book flits from past to present and i thought that could be confusing but it's not, it's brilliant. In the present Catherine is consumed by her OCD, it runs her life and you feel really frustrated for her. As we flit back to her past, it starts out as her been this totally different, confident young woman and gradually we get to see how she has become the woman in the present. And it is gradual too, Lee doesn't start getting really violent until half way through and to read those scenes was so difficult.

It was like it was happening to someone you knew, and you wanted to turn away and turn a blind eye and pretend it wasn't happening, but you couldn't. I always asked myself why women didn't escape abusive partners straight away, and i was asking the same of Catherine, until she said she felt the same way, but it really wasn't that easy. It was hard to see all her friends believe him and turn their backs on her. I pretty much hated them all for that, including Sylvia, even at the end.

Lee, awful, evil, menacing and yet at times even i started to feel sorry for him the way Catherine did. He coud even suck the reader into his evil spell. But mostly i hated him and wanted revenge for everything he did to Catherine and whoever. He's a bad guy that you remember long after you finish reading the book. The writer does a great job of making even you feel scared of this man. I'm surprised i'm not checking the door is locked too.

And then there is Stuart, lovely Stuart. I was really rooting for him and Catherine. I felt safe reading the present with him in it. And when it went to the past i was immiediately on edge! It sounds so ridiculous that a book could do this but it did. Every time Catherine heard a noise i held my breath, was it him coming back to get her? God, i can't recommend this book enough. Just be prepared to not want to go to the loo in the middle of the night after reading it!

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 31 July 2011
Fantastic novel, I could almost see the characters faces.
As I work with vulnerable adults and have work with women and men who have suffered abuse at the hands of another, I find it hard to believe that this wasnt written about a true event in someones life... Excellent Work

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!!, 30 July 2011
This book had me gripped from beginning to end and I read it in only a few sittings. I found my heart racing with anticipation while reading this. A fantastic 1st novel from the author and I will definitely be buying her next book.
You will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars well worth 99p, 30 July 2011
Amazon Customer (Lancashire, England) - See all my reviews
Can't believe i only paid []p for this, it's better than some that were ten times more expensive, I agree with other reviews this does deserve 5*, it's one you won't put down until you reach the end. Start reading today ...

‹ Previous | 1137 138 139150 | Next ›