5.0 out of 5 stars A Kind of Vanishing
Lesley Thomson weaves an intricate and mesmerising storyline guaranteed to keep you turning the pages. Initially, the story is set in the late 1960s and beautifully evokes the attitudes and atmosphere of the times. Two nine-year-old girls from very different backgrounds are forced to play together, against their wishes, by their well-meaning parents. One of them...
Published on 11 Nov. 2007 by Tim del S

3.0 out of 5 stars Too many words
Okay, I don't care much for the "show and tell" fashion of writing, but at times I was almost screaming for the author to get to the point! I ended up reading the reviews on my kindle and most of them agreed it was overly descriptive but also advised to stick with it. So I did, but it was hard going.
Published 10 months ago by Selkie

‹ Previous | 1 2 340 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I vanished for a while to read this book as I found it so engrossing, 23 Feb. 2014
This review is from: A Kind of Vanishing (Kindle Edition)
This book took all my attention for a while and I'm a busy gal!
Loved the little unexpected shock it gives you at one stage in the book, quite unexpected for me or perhaps I didn't have enough foresight. Easy to read, l absorbed every page .l read it because l so enjoyed The Detectives Daughter.

5.0 out of 5 stars A slow, intractable pull., 1 Feb. 2014
This review is from: A Kind of Vanishing (Kindle Edition)
Reading this book between books I intended to read, I found the more I read the more I had to read. The mystery was not so much the decades old murder but the flawless exposition of the characters and the truthfully magical world children live in beside us. I could not have left this book unfinished.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing, 6 Jan. 2014
C. A. Challis (Kent (UK)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Kind of Vanishing (Kindle Edition)
The story of Eleanor and Alice and a long hot summer holiday in the past that has ramifications in the present. The story continues to switch between past and present and keeps you guessing to the end.

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read, as were the other two books in this series., 6 Aug. 2014
This review is from: A Kind of Vanishing (Kindle Edition)
I've reviewed Lesley Thomson's other two books in this series so will try not to repeat myself too much. I've enjoyed all three books enormously and recommend them wholeheartedly for readers who like a series because of the characters' history and development and who like decently plotted stories that are written well. I've had a hard time recently finding such a thing so was very pleased when this set came up in my Amazon recommendations and lived up to my expectations. The books have provided pleasing entertainment over several evenings.
I like the writer's style and narrative voice(s) and I think her books are plotted soundly; I can see where the plot is going but I enjoy the journey and the characters' thoughts and responses.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, 22 Sept. 2014
This review is from: A Kind of Vanishing (Kindle Edition)
As it was free - I won't complain to much, but if I had paid, would not be happy. The story is long winded and turgid at times and I skipped loads but the premise was promising, just didn't deliver well enough - ok for free though

5.0 out of 5 stars Intricate and Compelling, 9 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Kind of Vanishing, A (Paperback)
One day in June 1968 a nine year old girl, Alice, goes missing. She had been out playing hide and seek with Eleanor Ramsay and then just disappeared.
The plot line sounds quite simple and is so. It is the in depth study of the people surrounding the disappearance both in 1968 and later in 1999 which make this book so clever. The early chapters of the book are written from the point of view of Eleanor Ramsay and how she feels about Alice, her family and the world around her. Then we have a couple of chapters looking at the same people and events from the point of view of Alice. This is very clever as it shows how two young girls can have such differing views and how it effects their behaviour towards each other.
Eleanor Ramsay is a very complex child who often lives in her own fantasy world built from her own imagination. Old ruins become castles, sticks are swords, there are battles to be fought, clues to solve......the wonderful imagination of a nine year old. However, Eleanor's life is not as rosy as it seems at first glance meaning that she uses her imagination as a coping method. She often looses grip of what is real and what is fantasy. As she makes things up she comes to believe them herself and cannot remember what is the reality. This has immense consequences when it comes to the search for Alice. I thought Eleanor was a wonderful character. She is a classic example of how the behaviour of people has ripples throughout other peoples lives. This is also seen in other character's lives, especially that of her Father, Mark Ramsay, but not in such depth.
This is primarily a book about relationships and how we affect each other's lives. The story is a good, basic story but is not the highlight of this book. The clues to solve the disappearance of Alice do exist right from the beginning of the book and although I hadn't grasped the significance of all of these clues as I was reading, the conclusion of the book came as no real surprise.
This was a book that I struggled to put down. It is very well written with a very detailed look at the ripples in people's relationships with each other. I shall certainly be looking for other books by this author.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 9 Jan. 2015
This review is from: A Kind of Vanishing (Kindle Edition)
An unusual, gripping story, the ending was not easy to predict - which is quite rare. I had kind of guessed what had happened, but not how everything else fitted together. A real page-turner, with excellent characterisation, descriptive narrative and plot. The kind of book that you want to carry on reading at the end of each chapter, even though it's gone midnight and you have to get up early for work tomorrow morning! Very hard to put down! Another reviewer has written that the writing is reminiscent of Kate Atkinson, and I agree with this. Highly recommended!

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting story but at an extremely slow pace, 11 Sept. 2014
This review is from: A Kind of Vanishing (Kindle Edition)
I couldn't warm to any of the characters for some reason, subsequently I didn't care about what happened to them. Not a position I'm keen on when reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good enough..., 28 Aug. 2013
Caroline (Roxburghshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Kind of Vanishing (Kindle Edition)
...but I didn't enjoy it as much as The Detective's Daughter, her second book. However, it does fill in some of the background of the next book and in a way I wish I had read it first. Not that either don't stand alone - they do. But it was interesting to make the links. Set in the recent past, it has plenty of contemporary themes to be very relevant to the present. Enough of the other reviewers have elaborated on the plot, so I won't be repetative on that.This author has a way of keeping you wondering, so that you read on and on to try to decide the outcome. The denouement has a certain inevitability as you work your way to the end. It held my interest throughout, and was very inexpensive too. These cheap kindle books must be hitting the charity shop trade!

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm Still Thinking About It, 15 July 2013
This review is from: A Kind of Vanishing (Kindle Edition)
As the story developed it occurred to me that some of the themes were familiar. I then realised that the last book I'd read - The Detective's Daughter- was by the same author, not sure why this hadn't registered when I downloaded it. Again, I feel that Thomson is trying too hard to be "different", which makes the flow of the narrative more complicated than necessary. The perspective changes from Eleanor to Alice and then into different time frames. The two girls are well defined with the differences in their characters emphasised, their families juxtaposed to provide a clear background to plot. The unexplained uresolved disappearance of one of the girls pervades the lives of those who remain, but the way in which the other girl deals with this tragedy is unexpected. The ultimate revelation as to how "The Vanishing" took place is sadly too realistic, but I found the unexpected manner in which the remaining girl dealt with the ongoing loss unbelievable. As I said earlier, this was trying too hard to be different and clever, which led to gaps in the logic of the story.

‹ Previous | 1 2 340 | Next ›