5.0 out of 5 stars The Funniest Book You Will Ever Read
What more can I say? An new edition of the original 'Delete This at Your Peril' with new material.

Published on 4 Nov 2010 by Zak Maxwell

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm a bit conflicted!
This book is funny, of that there is no doubt. The problem I have is that I didn't find it anywhere near as funny as some of the reviewers here, I think my expectations were somewhat raised by the glowing reviews

Published on 7 Nov 2011 by Apollo

5.0 out of 5 stars The Funniest Book You Will Ever Read, 4 Nov 2010

Bob Servant takes on the internet spammers, confusing and frustrating them at every turn. With the promise of a money transfer by Western Union hanging in the balance, the Spammers patiently agree to Bob's bizarre requests (e.g. a talking lion for Bob's friend's private zoo).

Can't add any more praise than that already given for the original version except to say that the new material is every bit as good as the rest.

The email exchanges are currently made into a radio series being broadcast by Radio Scotland with Brian Cox playing the role of Bob.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spamtastically good, 20 Sep 2009
SilentSinger (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This book detailing Neil Forsyth's alter-ego Bob 'Godzilla' Servant's hilarious exchanges with various internet spammers will not fail to amuse even the most discerning reader. Firstly, Forsyth's description of his creation's life and career in Broughty Ferry (near Dundee) are spot on and the fact that he was once one of the foremost cheeseburger vendors and window cleaners in the area (until the gypsies allegedly stole his ladders...) are very funny indeed. The author has a surreal and somewhat bizarre sense of humour which is perfectly pitched in the eight different chapters describing Bob's exchanges with various internet hoaxers. The ones which really stood out for me and made me laugh like an idiot on the train were when he wanted to be remunerated in lions instead of cash and the fictitious stories in the local paper detailing his related activities. Bob's 'business' suggestions are even more whacky than the spammers' and most of the exchanges end with a series of odd happenings which proclude Bob from wiring the money to his 'boss'.

The good thing about this book is that it's a fairly undemanding read and hence can be enjoyed in small chunks, which is perfect for a medium length commute. After reading this I'd be very interested in the author's other titles as it's clear he's exactly on my wavelength.

5.0 out of 5 stars Making Spam Fun, 22 Aug 2008
Mark Baker (Santa Clarita, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
With the internet age has come all kinds of wonderful new convinces we now rely on every day. But with every plus comes a minus, and for most of us that minus is spam. Every morning, I hate wading through the massive amount of e-mails I get that I'm not even interested in reading.

One man decided to have some fun, however. And we get to share that fun because of this book. "Bob Servant" (and the observant person will pick up on that name faster than I did) decided to reply to some of his spam and see how long he could drag out the exchanges without the other side catching on or giving up. Here in, we get eight such exchanges and the results are hilarious.

Most of these e-mails start out all too familiar. There's the African native who needs Bob to get money out of the country. Theirs the Chinese company looking for a local person in Scotland to help with local payments. And there's Alexandria, who is more interested in Scottish men than her native Russians.

But what follows is anything but routine. It's hard to describe just how great this book because half the fun is watching how the events unfold. Twice, Bob turns a job offer into a potential job for the spammer when he pretends to be interested in buying a painting or a bunch of pots.

But my favorite exchanges cross the line into the absurd. Some of these involve wild animals and the postman. But that's all I'm going to say. Well, that and it reveals just how desperate the criminal spammers are to get the information they need. They are certainly persistent. And rather stupid themselves.

I've got to give the author credit. He has created a great world you real get involved in. In each exchange we get to see a different side of Bob and his friends. They provide half the fun.

While most of these exchanges are wonderful, I did think a couple went on too long. And they weren't quite the mostly clean stuff I normally enjoy reading. But that didn't dampen my enjoyment for long.

Ironically enough, I got this book because I replied to a spam e-mail from the author. And I'm glad I did. If you need a release from the constant attack of spam, this book is perfect for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars comedy at its best, 19 May 2011
The funniest book i have come across -ever. Almost every page had me laughing out loud. Last time a book came anywhere close to this was when I read 'catch 22' for the first time 35 years ago. A mixture of scottish tongue in cheek and the zaniest mickey takes pokes fun at the cyberspace conmen and spammers. priceless

5.0 out of 5 stars Dear friend, I am the only son of the king of......, 30 May 2011
S. A. Funnell (England) - See all my reviews
This short book is excellent. It's a series of email exchanges between Bob Servant, former owner of the largest window-cleaning round in the Western world, unemployed gigolo (by choice) and titan of the great cheeseburger van wars of the 90s and the fraudsters behind scam spam emails. The book is segmented only by the differing people who contact Bob by email, and thus a conversation ensues.

It's easy to relate to the initial emails he receives if you have ever been in possession of an email account, particularly a few years ago when firewalls aren't what they are now. Numerous emails from Africa, Russia and beyond are responded to by Bob in a variety of ways. At first I almost felt sorry for Bob, his cranky ways descending into near-insanity, with his circle of 'friends' including Frank Theplank and the other boys down the pub ridiculing him at every turn. Initially you want to scream out to him that he needs to realise these emails are a scam and that he shouldn't engage them in conversation, as he'll be sucked in. Then further into the book, it becomes clear that Bob is seeing how far he can push these spammers, and play them at their own game. Finally it dawns that he has known all along what their game was, be it a chinese organisation needing new employees in the UK ('so please forward your bank details so we can transfer payment') or a Russian blonde bombshell (picture attached) who has a sick grandmother with a list of medicine that needs paying for ('please forward bank details and address'), and he is not the gullible Bob we thought he was.

I'm not a huge book reader, and it was only by chance that I stumbled upon this book whilst looking for something else. But it has proved to be a very enjoyable read, a real page-turner which is easy to digest in chunks if you're not planning on reading it in one sitting. Bob Servant has some crazy ideas and ways but he is brought to life by the author, Neil Forsyth, making this book easily readable and laugh out loud funny.

Your servant,

5.0 out of 5 stars Was that good I was crying with laughter, 9 Jan 2011
Best book I've read in a long time. Couldn't stop laughing - the tears were just flowing. Of course coming from Dundee helped me understand Bob's sense of humour!
At a first glance I thought I wouldn't like that style of writing but was soon proved wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Revenge on the spammers - hilarious, 29 May 2008
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I've passed through Broughty Ferry many times on my way to and from my ancestral homeland in Montrose, but apart from remembering the name, I've never really given the place much thought. Nevertheless, it is clear that within Broughty Ferry there live some highly entertaining characters, none more so than Bob Servant, the author of this book. He seems to have had a variety of jobs including window cleaning and running a fleet of cheeseburger vans, but this book is devoted to an amusing sideline that he started after winning a computer in a raffle. I expect that even those who lost in that raffle will be glad that Bob won if they read this book.

Bob soon discovered spam email as we all do, but he chose to take the spammers on at their own game. Eventually, he showed a long-time friend, journalist Neil Forsyth, what he'd been up to. Neil immediately recognized the potential for a book and, with Bob's agreement, set about assembling it. He picked out eight of the spammers and the exchanges that followed them, editing where necessary to remove addresses (postal or email) and providing footnotes as necessary to point out various untruths. He left all the swear words in, so you'd be best to avoid this book if they upset you (surely not, in this day and age). Each spammer gets their own chapter in this book, which also includes an introduction to Bob and a brief overview of spam, both written by Neil.

The cases allegedly concern, respectively, an Afican prince whose tribal king father had just died. a British man killed in an accident in Nigeria, an artist having problems with the way he is paid for his work, a belt manufacturer seeking British agents, an African military general whose father has died and, finally, an organization extracting material from Africa seeking representatives. I'm guessing that these scenarios are familiar to many people who do not have adequate firewalls on their computer. I saw (and deleted without further action) some of those when I had my first spell of being online from home. I have not seen them when using library computers, internet cafes or since re-connecting to the internet from home in 2008.

Bob responded to these emails in ways that the senders could never have anticipated. In the first case, he responded by demanding more than he was offered, progressing to ever more ludicrous demands. He didn't want cash, preferring lions and other animals. In one of the other caes, Bob suggested setting up an African restaurant in Scotland. In the artist's case, Bob chooses to commision a painting instead of helping directly with the artist's finances. In all cases, Bob avoided giving any of the original senders what they want, content to string them along until either he realized that it was time to finish the exchange or they gave up on him.

Bob's wicked sense of humor makes this a higely entertaining book. Maybe he will inspire others to take revenge on the spammers too, but very few would be as outrageously funny as Bob. Will there be a second volume? I don't know, but I suspect that if this book is the success that it deserves to be, the spammers will blacklist Bob so his source of material will dry up. He could then set up an email account with a different identity but if he does that, he may become the first person ever to change his identity to ensure that he receives spam.

Yes, this is a hilarious book that anybody who has ever been spammed can enjoy.

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm a bit conflicted!, 7 Nov 2011

To give a bit of background, I had never heard of our Bob nor come across the website prior to reading this book so, somehow, he has managed to pass me by. What convinced me to buy this book was that I was intrigued with it being set in Dundee (Broughty Ferry to be precise and I'm a local) so I did find the inclusion of well known pubs and eateries a bit unique to begin with but that was something that soon wore off.

The book is essentially a rehash of the tactic of baiting the old "419" scammers (Google it if you are unsure) and authors of other related fraudulent online activities. As such, it breaks absolutely no new ground. In fact, I found the joke to be stretched a bit thin and repetitive by about the halfway mark. That said, there are a few real laugh out loud moments but it does get a bit tedious.

What makes the book different is that we do get to know more about Bob as he, bit by bit, reveals himself whilst replying to the various scam artists he encounters and that is where the real humour is found.

I think Forsyth has pitched this book at a perfect length as the joke could not have been maintained over a longer piece. Once I knew how Bob was going to react to any of the various ploys presented and the fact that it's been done before, I found myself "hurrying" to finish it.

It gets an OK from me and at the current (Kindle) price of under a pound it's worth a punt, which is more than can be said for some of Bobs schemes!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not that funny!, 6 July 2012
I bought this on the strength of many favourable reviews and it was the kindle deal of the day....therefore cheap. The first few emails are quite funny but hardly the paroxyms of laughter promised by many readers...an occasional chuckle at best. After a bit the repetition becomes boring....all the spammers seem the same and are easily duped...by the end I was bored and glad I could move on to other books. I found it disapointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really funny xmas present, 10 Jan 2011
I bought this for my 21 year old son - who isn't into reading much. However he soon settled down with this book and more or less read it in one session. He said it was so funny - and the bits he shared with me were hilarious...