5.0 out of 5 stars STELLA DVD
Published on 17 July 2012 by Stella

3.0 out of 5 stars Overexcited soap opera
Ruth Jones is versatile, a natural comic and usually a good writer. The problem here is arguably my own. I was expecting something akin to Gavin and Stacey, whilst what I got was more like a Welsh soap. About as Welsh as you can get without actually speaking Welsh. So much so that, despite having lived in Swansea for 13 years (a long time ago admittedly), I frequently had...
Published 1 month ago by Douglas Wood

5.0 out of 5 stars STELLA DVD, 17 July 2012
This review is from: Stella [DVD] (DVD)
I can't tell you how much I enjoyed this box set DVD! I didn't see it when it was on TV as I don't have Sky TV so was delighted when I saw it in the box set to buy. I think it ws very good value for money & I had many an hours happy watching with it. I will definitely be watching it over & over again. The humour is brilliant but with some wee sad bits too. I found it to be true to life. The character of Stella cannot be even remotely compared to Nessa in Gavin & Stacey but however, no less enjoyable. Definitely recommend this.

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect gift., 20 April 2012
This review is from: Stella [DVD] (DVD)
Stella [DVD] I actually bought this DVD for a friend who hadn't seen the series on T.V. She said it kept her amused for hours. Funny, serious, and at times sad and insists I remind her when the next series is about to start. I personally am a Ruth Jones fan and love to watch anything she co- writes, she never disappoints.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing series!, 30 Aug 2012
This review is from: Stella [DVD] (DVD)
I love Stella! I think that Ruth Jones is awesome and a very clever writer. It has great story lines and the characters are brilliant. It is nothing like Gavin and Stacey but just as excellent if not more. Would definitely recommend - I can't wait for the second series!

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, 17 April 2012
This review is from: Stella [DVD] (DVD)
Having spent a lifetime being spoon-fed with BBC programmes, I took a chance on something that was commissioned for/ on behalf of sky viewers. Not wanting to seem like a complete snob, I took a chance on purchasing this ten-parter. What happened next was something I haven't done for a long time. I curled up my toes in our wool rug sat back and forgot about all my worries as I became glued to an extraordinarily endearing comedy with touchy feely moments, and bursts of hilarity.
My wife, who is not a native of these soils nor language, was mesmerised by everything going on. Not a pregnant pause or a distraction in this nicely flowing insight into the lives of very believable characters who all interact spendidly together. Well scripted, nice dialogues, and above all the feeling that you are in there with them. Haven't felt that about BBC tv since the 1980s.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC!, 21 April 2012
This review is from: Stella [DVD] (DVD)
If you saw the series on Sky you will completely enjoy watching this DVD. If you didn't see the series this DVD will give you the opportunity to be entertain for hours by watching this engaging and very funny series of Stella conceived and starring Ruth Jones. The casting is excellent and the writing and production are stunning. Money well spent!

5.0 out of 5 stars I fell in love with Stella., 18 Jan 2013
Mr. J. Colley (Lincs, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stella [DVD] (DVD)
A bundle of really wonderful stories and characters. I think it's a huge tribute to the writing and acting to say that I became so absorbed in what I was watching that I fell hopelessly in love with Stella and had to keep forcibly reminding myself that she isn't real, just a fictional character in a romantic-comedy-drama. I know that's daft, and I have to laugh at myself for it, but I haven't enjoyed anything as much for a long time. I like Ruth Jones anyway after 'Gavin and Stacey' which I enjoyed enough to buy the boxed set, but I like this much more. I pre-ordered Series 2 the instant I found out it was going to be available. So can I say more? Actually yes, I can......"Stella, will you marry me twice?" - (Twice in case one doesn't take).

5.0 out of 5 stars stella, 22 April 2012
This review is from: Stella [DVD] (DVD)
ruth jones at her best if you live in wales you can identify with allot of the characters in this hilarious sitcom ,
lets hope there will be another series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stella, 6 Jan 2013
This review is from: Stella [DVD] (DVD)
I loved this. Gavin and Stacy meets the real world. Ruth Jones is superb, as usual, and the script is laugh out loud funny.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, 4 Jan 2013
This review is from: Stella [DVD] (DVD)
The brillaint Ruth Jones has a hit on her hands here, just like she did with "Gavin and Stacey." I hope the next series which starts 7th of Jan 2013, is as good as the first series.

5.0 out of 5 stars AFFECTIONATELY DYSFUNCTIONAL, 21 Aug 2012
Mr. D. L. Rees "LEE DAVID" (DORSET) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Stella [DVD] (DVD)
South Wales. Meet Stella, good-naturedly striving to rise above all that life has to offer: son Luke in prison; daughter Emma about to surprise; little Ben trying to compile a family tree - his research to have an unexpected outcome. Quirky relatives and neighbours abound - including the old couple who live opposite, with their horse. Understandably everything occasionally gets out of control....

Ruth Jones heads a great cast and plays a major part in the writing - witty scripts full of misunderstandings, reconciliations and hilarious moments. A fine time seems had by all - as made clear in an entertaining 20+ minute bonus feature where they speak about their roles.

A host of guest stars, some most unexpected (including Lord Kinnock). Memorable sequences - not least that funeral. Some scenes are surprisingly moving - for, although so often pulling in different directions, a bond unites. As Ben works out for himself, "There's no such thing as an ordinary family".

Not everything works, but most of it does. Some viewers may wonder why local residents do not do their own ironing. They may consider certain plot aspects a bit cheesy. Others (including me actually) may feel pre-credit spoilers are not really needed on DVD.

Away with such carping - better by far to sit back and enjoy over seven hours of warm-hearted fun!

(Thank you, fellow reviewers, for alerting me to another fine show I would otherwise have missed.)

Stella [DVD]
Stella [DVD] by Ruth Jones (DVD - 2012)
5.90