on 26 September 2013
This is a re-release of a truly outstanding recording from 1997, in which Lorraine Hunt as Phedre and Mark Padmore as Hippolyte particularly shine. (They may well have constituted a "dream team" for Christie: they also appeared in his 1994 production of Charpentier's Medee, also released on CD, in 1995.) I certainly prefer this version to Minkowski's, in particular because of these two artists. The recording itself merits 5 stars.

But - and it is a big 'but' - this re-release, which looks identical to the original, is cheap because it is missing the libretto! The original is also available, I believe, with the ASIN: B000005E4S. It's more expensive, but so useful to have the libretto -- not least to follow the subtleties of this performance -- that there's really no choice. I should also say that Rameau made so many changes to this opera in its different stagings (as he did with all his operas), that it's important to have the libretto to know which version you're following (though I don't think this performance follows any of Rameau's precisely).

Shame on Amazon, and on Erato, for not making this important difference clear. For this, the recording gets only 2 stars.
on 12 September 2013
I chose it because it was strongly recommended by a friend. We had both seen the recent Glyndbourne production and I wanted a
good recording. Lorraine Hunt was one of the attractions. It will hardly be off my player!
on 28 August 2013
The music of this opera is beautiful and unexpectedly accessible. We bought the CD as a prelude to going to Glyndebourne to see it and were surprised and delighted with both. I would heartily recommend this for anyone interested in opera. We shall listen to it frequently I am sure.
on 24 May 2013
This opera by Rameau is typical of French Baroque music. William Christie offers excellent conducting and Lorraine Hunt delivers an extremely good performance.
on 28 July 2013
Simply wonderful music and exceptional singing. Christie brings real insight born of his long experience and Lorraine hunt is one of the all time great singers is superb with the other soloists not far behind.
on 18 December 2012
I remember this work about 15 years ago and even buying this one recently reminds me of it. The story and the music by Rameau is extremely good.
on 6 August 2013
great cd, with a superb cast and well conducted - a gem of a work - good cd with good booklet
on 26 April 2014
I was lucky enough to see this on a wonderful summer day at Glyndebourne last year (a warm summer evening was a rarity last year), and this splendid recording brought it all back. Excellent value.