5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing 3D HD Camcorder.
Published on 10 Jun. 2012 by Awayze

2.0 out of 5 stars Not so easy to downlaod anything on XP. (EXTRA PROBLEMS)
I purchased this in August 2012 just before going on a cruise. Ideal for a 3d camera as most thing videoed are close up.
The camera performed well and I am pleased with the 3d results that are on the camera.
And it looks like that is where they are going to stay.

The instruction book states that the stored images can be downloaded to a computer...
Published on 16 Sept. 2012 by Nick

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing 3D HD Camcorder., 10 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Sony TD20 - Full HD 3D Recording Camcorder - Black (64 GB, 20.4MP, 10x Optical Zoom) 3.5 inch LCD (Electronics)
I've been searching for a decent camcorder for a few months now, my last camcorder, well mum's but we all use it, is the Sony PC3E from the late 1990's. A tragedy struck that camera in 2001, a jealous neighbour looking after it snapped the LCD screen(unaware it twists only 180 degrees and not 360 degrees) as at the time it was the top of the range £1000+ camera, no one owned up to it so it was temporarily repaired. Decided its time to upgrade so I looked at Panasonic X900M and the Sony CX730E originally, both around £750.
I settled on this though as the Sony's had the best 5.1 surround sound, best image stabilisation, best colour capture and my previous camera was a Sony which served the family extremely well. I want this new camera to last me for another 10 years as HD and 3D is the best it's going to get for a while. I've played around with it for a while now. I'm not a professional video recorder, I have little interest in 3D right now even though I do have a Panasonic 3DTV. I'm just the average guy who wants to point and shoot.

Pros:-
- It's very small, a lot smaller than the "brick" TD10, the width is exactly the same as my iPhone 4, maybe a hairline shorter. It's pretty pleasing aesthetically. I think it's one of the best looking camcorders ever, the silver LCD door, the gloss black and leather/matte black make it very good looking. Sony have definitely adressed the TD10's size and ugliness.
- Has a nice weighty feel and build quality is great.
- HD video quality is absolutely amazing in Highest Quality 50p, the video recording is amazing. Originally recorded stuff at 50i Standard Quality and it was pretty decent but 50p HQ is a whole new level. Captures colours beautifully with brilliant image stabilisation.
- Outdoor night/low light recording condition is very good too. Indoors you would just turn on the video light.
- The 20MP camera takes absolutely amazing pictures, it's on par with 16 megapixels cameras which cost like £300+. I still would go to Olympus for cameras though as a standalone camera will obviously be better.
- Best 3D camcorder on the market, by far better than the Panasonic X900M and the JVC TD1.
- Has GPS built in
- The 3D LCD screen is gorgeous, nice bright colours with a super high resolution. 3D viewing is acceptable seeing as it's glasses free.
- 14 hours of HD recording at Standard Quality 50i can be recorded onto the 64GB internal memory. Drops to 6 hours in 50p HQ mode, the amount of detail the Exmor R sensor captures in 50p HQ is very high. The littlest thing on grass is captured without zooming so I can see why the video files are going to be huge at 50p.
- Made in Japan! Nice to see Sony still have huge faith in the quality of their camcorders and not moved to China just to cut costs.
- All the settings to change features are on the touchscreen, keeps the buttons for important features only
- Sony's site mentions the camera doesn't have a flash but it does, it has a video light which is very good and the flash which is very bright. Video light isn't battery draining as you would expect. As you can see compared to other cameras, the flash "clear housing" spreads quite far from the actual flash LED's, this end's up giving a very bright flash which is widespread so it will light a dark room up.
- 5.1 surround sound quality is amazing, I only have it to compare to a Panasonic X900M and it's superior to it.
- Has a fair bit of settings to mess around with in camera mode and video mode, 2D only.
- Battery life is pretty good, around 3-4 hours with supplied battery.

Cons:-
- Top of camcorder is gloss black, so its going to be a fingerprint magnet and a scratch magnet.
- The custom user ring is far too small and not comfortable to use. Much rather have a full ring or a slider/button on top of the camcorder.
- For this price you'd expect a multitouch capacitive touchscreen but its resistive. I find myself trying to scroll the menus like on a iPhone.
- Doesn't have the Balanced Optical Steady Shot(B.O.S.S) like the CX730E, again at this price, Sony should have somehow managed to add it on to the left lens at least for 2D but Image Stabilisation is already brilliant.
- No viewfinder, not a con for me as I've never used a viewfinder in my life but nice to have the option as it may come handy if sunlight gets too bright.
- Doesn't have that "red" flash you get on cameras so when taking self pictures, you will be blinded by the super bright flash.
- Can't view movies and pictures on the internal memory and memory card at the same time, it's either one or the other. Not universal.
- Doesn't work with Mac, so I have to boot into Windows if I want to do some useful editing, it kind of works with iMovie but only 50i recording will be editable in iMovie and not 25p or 50p so if you want to record 25p movie/cinema like videos, want to edit them on a Mac, you can't. You'd think Sony would have made a program for Mac seeing as Mac is very popular for photo and video editing. Will have to wait for an iMovie update. You'll need Windows in Bootcamp and Sony Vegas for full editing including 3D videos on a Mac.
- No pass code protection. I know it's a camera but still any portable £1300 electronic device should have a password. What if it gets stolen or lost? At least you would get some peace of mind knowing no one can use it so the camcorders useless to them and more importantly, don't see your videos.

Things that should have been built in at this price of £1300:-
- Wifi built in with a YouTube app for uploading
- The red flash
- Nightshot and B.O.S.S in 2D mode
- Security password and since it has GPS built in, I can't help knowing that if my camcorder got lost or stolen that there is GPS in the camcorder so it could technically be located.

Summary:-
It's the best camcorder on the market right now. The only other camcorder I'd consider instead of this is the CX730E, it's cheaper but no 3D. The TD20 has awesome 3D HD quality and great 5.1 surround capture.

Is it worth £1300? It is but only as Sony has no true competitor to this camera, ie 3D built into one small camera so Sony can get away charging this price as it's basically this 3D camcorder or no 3D camcorder. If you're in the market for a Full 3D HD camcorder, then this is the one you want. It blows away its only competitor, the Panasonic X900M in every way except for the no viewfinder on the TD20. I highly recommend this camcorder but memory cards can get expensive as you will need a class 10 SD card minimum for fast write speeds otherwise you could find yourself waiting while videos/pictures write to the memory card.

I decided to write a review as there were no reviews. So this is a quick review for now which I will update after I fully test it out. If you really want a 3D camcorder, then buy this, if not, I'd check out the CX730E and compare these two camcorders at the Sony shop. I love this camera. I record and test the videos on my Panasonic 46" GT30 3DTV through the provided HDMI cable.

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb piece of kit., 11 Jan. 2013
The 3D works very well and I've produced some superb 3D blu ray discs for my family which they love.
The photo mode is not so good as there is significant shutter delay.
A excellent upgrade from my Sony HDR-TG3.
It is amazing how video cameras have evolved since I first bought a Canon 8mm camcorder in 1986.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use & stunning picture quality from such a compact & lightweight unit., 23 July 2013
The picture quality is excellent both on our 3D TV & on the camera's screen which even allows viewing playback in 3D without needing to wear the usual glasses, brilliant!

The controls are simple & both the inbuilt memory & supplied battery provide hours of full 3D / HD recording.

A more powerful zoom is posibly the only thing that would improve the camera.

Pricy, but you get what you pay for!

5.0 out of 5 stars Reappraisal after making a stupid mistake., 26 Sept. 2012
This is a follow up to a previous submission by me.

I will admit my mistakes!

The camera comes with a built in USB connection as stated in the instruction book.
It also comes with a data cable to USB connection, with an extension cable, USB female to male.

This is where my confusion arose. (Read stupidity if you want.)
The "built in USB cable" is stowed away in the hand strap on the side of the camera.
(Where it is stowed is not mentioned in the book.)

Even though I had adjusted the strap I had not noticed the connector.
This might have been caused by me only getting the camera the day before needing to use it. Not reommended.

Because of the terms that are usually quoted in literature about further improvements may have changed things, (We reserve the right etc.) I assumed the data cable supplied, with the USB to USB cable, was the one to use.
And this is what caused the problem as to get the camera talking to the computer it needs the stowed away USB connector to be used.

I have now given the camera 5 stars as the end result produced by the camera is, I think, brilliant.

How easy it will be to edit the results on a computer is a future head scratching process.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical, 15 Oct. 2012
This product is magical. Compact, Stylist and easy to use. It records 3D videos in very nice quality. 3D videos recorded using this camera is joy to watch on 3D TV. Happy with my purchase and would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top of the range Camcorder, 15 July 2012
A recent windfall gave me the opportunity to buy this Camcorder and I am very happy with the results. We playback the video on our 46" Sony 3D TV and picture quality is amazingly good.
One can use this out of the box with the standard settings but I wanted to explore the settings and find that one can setup control of focus, exposure and lots of other setting through the manual button but it pays to plan things ahead of shooting somewhat to get the best out of the manual options.
I was very encouraged to find that "Which" gave the HDR-TD20VE the highest score for a camcorder and awarded it a best buy.
It will take a while for me to fully exploit the capabilities of this camcorder but already I am very glad I bought this.
The only problem I have had relates to filming in bright sunshine when I am wearing my reactoligt glasses as the screen brightness does not seem bright enough through my dark glasses, but maybe there is an adjustment I have not found yet?
I had a good quality tripod already so bought the remote control and with the camera on the tripod and using the remote the results are very professional.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony TD20, 20 Dec. 2012
3D is excellent...now need a good opportunity to use it...maybe better weather! Quality of Photo element is up to Sony Standards and, thus far no problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best on the market, 27 May 2013
Just up graded to this ,in fact at pc world they dropped the price to lees then 350£
The pictures are great ,better then other models and make ,plugged it in to my samsung 3d televison
Pictures are out of this world,I travel world wide not spain and the towns and cities are so life like
That ,in 3d it's another world

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice piece of technology., 12 Mar. 2013
The camcorder works just fine. It's wonderful to work with.
I miss some items from the purchase, and that is:
The remote control, a charger and a battery that at least has the capacity of the original battery.
I also miss some cables. I can't stop wondering what the former owner need these parts for,
when he/she sold the camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars HD, 3D, microphone in, remote..., 1 Dec. 2012
After that, I won't be buying camcorders anymore, and that tell you enough that this little marvel is the best camcorder ever for that size and price. Absolutely stunning.

-- Sony TD20 - Full HD 3D Recording Camcorder - Black (64 GB, 20.4MP, 10x Optical Zoom) 3.5 inch LCD --