4.0 out of 5 stars early days yet but has all the features of my old Sony Video camera, Not sure if the zoom feature will meet all my needs, 4 Feb 2013
This review is from: Sony HDRCX730 Full HD Camcorder - Black(24.1MP, 3 inch LCD Screen, 17x Extended Zoom) (Electronics)
early days yet but has all the features of my old Sony Video camera, Not sure if the zoom feature will meet all my needs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Macro marvel, 30 Jan 2013
This review is a bit different as I'm using the camera for making macro wildlife films.

I've been using this camera so far primarily with Raynox macro adapters DCR-250 and MSN-202 to film tiny arthropods the size of a pin head. These adapters allow you to fill the frame with a few millimeters of space and the quality of the footage from the Handycam is just superb. The small sensor means that you get a reasonable amount of depth of field for this type of filming and the low light performance of the sensor has allowed me to film without artificial lights so far.

If you're interested in this type of filming search youtube for "HDR-CX730E MSN-202" to see what you can do!

The big feature of this camcorder is the stabilization. You can see the lens moving within the body while your filming with the stabilizer turned on and for anyone wanting to do a lot of hand held filming then this camera takes a lot of beating.

All in all, I'm extremely happy with this Handycam. Not very long ago you would have had to spend several thousands of pounds and lug around something 5 times the size to get this sort of quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Steadyshot, 20 Jan 2013
The best feature of this camera in my view is the steadyshot. On maximum optical zoom it is as steady as a rock. My previous camera was a Canon XM2 which cost me £1600 several years ago, and whilst it took very good quality video I was recently editing some golf video taken on this camera and was a little taken aback at the camera shake on full 10 times zoom. The Sony is in a different league in this respect. The picture quality from the Sony is excellent, although just to be very picky - most of my video has been taken indoors so far, in poor light, and in these conditions it does seem to hunt very slightly in and out of focus when zoomed in. I assume this is because in poor light the iris is fully open and there is a very narrow depth of focus. Even so I'm not really complaining as I've seen similar effects on the television. Overall, the video taken indoors is excellent and the built in light is a great help. All other aspects of the camera are excellent - the menus are easy to use and the transfer of video to my computer is so easy. Can't really fault it so far. Just one point about the Sony carry case for this camera. Initially I bought the Sony Ultra Compact case (LCS-U5) as part of a camera + case + SDHC card package offered by Amazon. Although the camera did fit in the case it was such a tight fit I was concerned that over time the camera might be damaged. I sent the case back and replaced it with a Sony LCS-U20 which I am now happy with.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great handy cam with brilliant results, 2 Jan 2013
Having previously owned a semi-broadcast quality Sony camera, I wanted to replace it with a small but high quality HD camera. very pleased so far with the end results. It takes some time to adjust from a mini-dv tape, to a media card as storage, but it seems to work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 22 Dec 2012
This is the best HD home camcorder you could find. It records a high quality videos with crystal clear shots. I highly recommend it. It does not have internal hard drive, but I think this is an advantage. I suggest you buy Sony SD card 32 GB with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars my gob is smacked., 22 Dec 2012
Mr. A. Poole "podgioli" (Chester, UK) - See all my reviews
This camera is top notch. I have given a similarly good review to little brother CX250, but this is far more amazing and continues to deliver results that are verging on unbelievable. It is easy to handle and the image stabiliser is just like taking a tripod everywhere. If you want to hold still on something it holds DEAD still. Slow panning is also unlike anything else I have used, including a pro-grade XH-A1, which is great but not easy to handle due to size. The only thing I would like to have seen added with this generation is the chance to modify the speed of the zoom from the on-screen button, or to set the zoom lever for a constant chosen rate. In all other respects I cannot say enough good things about this. Spotless sound & image quality go without saying from the top brands these days, but the images, especially with the cine gamma engaged, are just mesmerising. My previous gen camera being the excellent XR550 seemed stunning at time of its heyday, but I cannot even say how many aspects are greatly improved with this latest breed.
Even now the semi-pro VG30 and VG900 are out, I can only see marginal areas where their performance and control could surpass the quality and accessibility of the features on this little critter. Cannot recommend it highly enough. By the way, I don't work for Sony or anything and I am prepared to admit that my old XR550 did need repair work after only 18 months of use. Reliability yet to be assessed here as it is only five months old.
This review is directed to the video ability, NOT REGARDING STILLS! Although this claims 24Mpixel stills res, it's talking nonsense. It will provide a 24MP image, but where each pixel is actually just a fraction of the actual picture element of the sensor. I would say 6 to 8MP is about the level where the compression is applied so is the effective resolution of the stills. You could shrink them down to this then re-scale to full size with no loss of definition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Maginificent camcorder, 29 Sep 2012
it's not been a full day since i bought this.so far it has been a fabulous master. photo quality excellent. my favorite feature is nightshot. paranormal activity 5 is on the way folks. worth every penny you are paying.highly recommended.