on 30 January 2012
I'd always, rather patronisingly, thought of ES as a bit of a kid's band and never really gave them much consideration, but when a friend of mine who's a dreadful music snob found himself hooked on 'AFFOC' it occured that perhaps I was being rather snobbish myself and investigated this, Enter Shikari's third album and I must say that I'm exceptionally pleased that I did.

A Flash Flood of Colour couldn't more perfectly describe this album; the music is positively effervescent & energetic like a force of nature.

There is a pervading Dubstep feel to the record which is a perfect fit for Enter Shikari; aggressive, futuristic & above all immense fun.

With so many genuinely brilliant, inventive & well written songs on one tracklisting, pointing out favourites seems rather pointless.

To conclude; I defy anyone with either a rudimentary appreciation of music or an open mind to dislike this album, three records in and ES finally have taken to the skies and what is most exciting about that is that AFFOC just screams of further untapped potential.
I should start by saying that I'm a fan (a big one!) and have been since
Enter Shikari's energetic 2007 debut 'Take To The Skies' ('Jonny Sniper'
is rarely beyond a paw's hairy reach!). Their new album 'A Flash Flood Of
Colour' doesn't charge off into any especially new directions and I, for
one, am perfectly happy that this should be so. St Albans can rest easily!

There are eleven tracks in the new set and the band's exhilarating mixture of
manic beats, dense sonic textures and shouty-shouty vocals are reassuringly
intact and still fresh as a daisy. Three and a bit ('Tribalism' being "the bit")
releases in (not counting the "live in Hatfield" party 'Live From Planet Earth')
and I remain happy to follow where they lead. ES have an ear for a good tune
and know how to string together some cracking harmonies to further augment
their well-oiled machine. "Rou" Reynolds is as fine a front-man as ever; from
a whisper to a roar his distinctive voice, whether carrying a good tune or
bellowing like the very devil, is as solid as a rock unbroken by stormy seas.
Powerhouse drummer Rob Rolfe, too, is an exemplary master of his craft.

There really isn't a bad egg in the box. From the manically raucous beats and
porcine synth grunts of 'Arguing With Thermometers'; through the beautifully
structured light and shade of 'Stalemate' (just loving the vocal arrangement!);
the well-meant eco-politics and bone-crunching thwack and grind of 'Gandhi Mate,
Ghandi' (one of their strongest inventions to date) and the glowing cadences
of the uplifting anthemic concluding track 'Constellations', this impeccable
little ensemble never drops a stitch. This is the very best kind of teamwork.

Hands in the air for Enter Shikari! 'A Flash Flood Of Colour' is a force for good.

Essential.
44 comments|5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 July 2013
One of my top 5 albums of all time! That's praise coming from a music nut, who listens to and loves a lot of music
on 24 January 2012
I absolutely hated this album on not just the first but the first 3 listens. I just didnt get it. To me it just sounded like the songs were b-sides to Common Dreads (which I thought was excellent). I was convinced that I would come on Amazon to read how much everyone else hated it aswell but I was amazed by the positive reviews people were giving it. Well, all I can do is thank you all for doing so as your positivity prompted me to give it a few more goes before I came on wrote my review and I so pleased I did. On the 4th listen something just clicked with me and made me realise why this is such a cracking album. As others have stated, every song is full of flair and unique ideas mixed with cracking lyrics and use of outrageous sounds. Its everything ES aim to be and more.

The only negative thing I could say is that sometimes the overly politcal ramblings get a little tedious but when the musics this good who cares?

Dont do what I did and judge it too early if your not impressed initially. Give it time if you need it because otherwise you will be truly missing out.

My Favourite Songs:

Ghandi Mate, Ghandi
Sssnakepit
Warm Smiles Do Not Make You Welcome Here
Stalemate
on 12 October 2014
Their first album was amazing, the second pretty poor, but this is back to their best. Great mix of mostly heavy post-hardcore-style, but some nice melodic touches ('Constellations' is quite sweet). Quite political in places - I loved 'Arguing with thermometers' - but not in the awfully 6th form poetry style of Common Dreads. I've had this album for quite a while and keep coming back to it.
on 2 February 2012
I have to admit, I was never really a fan of Enter Shikari and this album would most likely have passed me by had a friend not sent me the youtube link to Gandhi Mate, Gandhi a few days before it came out. I was instantly a fan and eagerly awaited the album coming out and I must say it surpassed my expectations. Most albums you will isten to a few times and then get bored; three weeks on and I am still inspired by the lyrics and the cacophony of sound Enter Shikari have produced. They have such a contrast between songs like Stalemate and Gandhi but it all works together so well. This is a bit of a change from previous albums which have been more about volume and noise than anything else but they stick to what works with System ... Meltdown and Arguing with Thermometers and yet really make you pause for thought with Constellations. Truly fantastic, worth every penny.
on 24 July 2013
Although not my favourite Shikari album you still cannot fault them. It's true their sound has changed a lot, especially since Take to the Skies, but they still give an interesting mix of music perfect for the more broadminded music lovers.
on 24 January 2012
In one word: Brilliant! In my opinion, the best album to date.

The album is so good, not just because all the songs are meaningful and memorable, but also because it's so diverse. The album starts off with songs in a style that would be more familiar to those fans of Shikari's last album, Common Dreads. As you get further into the album, you find songs are styled more to that of their first album, with a few relaxed, melodic songs thrown in for good measure. Overall, the album has a great mix of trance, metal and a combination of the two. Seems like the singer, Rou, slipped some of his dubstep in too..

I would highly recommend this album for ANY Enter Shikari fan, but it may be slightly more disappointing an album to those who are fans of their earlier work.
on 26 January 2012
I remember when Enter Shikari first came on the scene. Their first album "Take To The Skies" was one of those "albums to like". As debut albums go, it was a good starting point, but ES have certainly evolved with every offering. I am pleased to say "A Flash Flood Of Colour" is the best one so far. It's similar to "Common Dreads" in the sense that it's so diverse, but I think AFFOC is even more so. From the heavy riffs in "Sssnakepit", to the dancey beats in "Arguing With Thermometers", to the explosive bass in "Ghandi Mate, Ghandi", this album really does have it all. Each song is amazing in its own way, and each is memorable, particularly due to the eco-political lyrics. I'm really excited to see what they come up with next, and I hope it isn't a long wait!
on 2 May 2013
They have the most unusal style. Impossible to define the genre. Wasn't aware how political they were before listening to the album in full. Amazing bass, Screamo, but also softer songs full of hope...