TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 25 September 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is not the printer to choose if you want the cheapest possible printing. It's not the printer to choose if you need scanning and photocopying (it is just a printer). It's niche is to be a tiny printer with excellent quality monochrome printing that's easy to set up and that doesn't require a jumble of cables.

It really is small. The top is a couple of inches wider than a landscape-oriented piece of A4, and pretty much exactly as deep as that piece of A4. In order to use it, you need to open a paper feed tray at the front; the output tray is optional, but if you unfold it, it also opens forward. If you don't use the output tray, your printouts come out through a slot on the top corner of the printer, which is fine if you're just printing one or two sheets. There are minimal controls: a power button, a WPS button and two LEDs that can indicate a multitude of conditions by glowing or blinking in different colours - you need to refer to the manual to find out what the different combinations mean.

The only cable you need to connect is the power cable, and (for setup only) a USB cable for your PC. If you have WPS on your wirelesss router, you don't even need the USB cable - you press a button on the router, and a button on the printer and they make friends. You will still need to install a printer driver on your PC or MAC from the supplied CD - note that the setup program makes the Samsung the default printer unless you uncheck the tickbox. You don't need to install the other two programs from the CD.

The printer turns itself off when not used for a while, to save electricity.

Print quality is very good, although you can select a toner-saving setting that prints in grey if you want. Printing over wireless I could get about 15 sheets per minute at best, not quite as good as the 20 sheets per minute the manual claims. The supplied toner is a starter size - only good for about 700 pages - after which you need to buy a very expensive replacement (Samsung Toner MLT-D101S), which apparently has enough toner for 1500 pages. Because this also replaces some of the print mechanism, print quality should remain high, but I reckon it will cost around 3.5-4p per sheet, which is no cheaper than an inkjet printer. So if you are thinking about getting this printer, buy it for the tiny size and the high quality output, not to save money. If, like me, you're strapped for space, it's well worth considering.

Notes:

- You don't actually need a wireless router to use this printer: you can create an ad-hoc (which is to say, direct) wireless link between your computer and the printer.

- There is a Samsung utility that lets you print directly from your wireless-enabled mobile phone (available from the Google Play store or from the iTunes store, depending on your flavour of phone). It works fairly well, but there's a long pause - of more than a minute - during which nothing happens, and you begin to wonder if you pressed print after all. You need to have faith and patience.
11 comment| 78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 April 2013
Having bought a new laptop running Windows 8, my rather ancient Samsung ML-4500 mono laser was not compatible as there are no printer drivers. As I had no problems whatsoever with that printer in more than 10 years of regular use, I decided to stay loyal to the brand and have not been disappointed with this new Samsung. I had read some slightly negative comments about the setting up of the 2165W but I found it straightforward and very easy to get it and up running wirelessly - just follow the printed instructions and/or electronic guide on the CD. As an added bonus I have been able to print on it from my iPad after installing the Samsung mobile printer app.

I am not suggesting that this should be the printer of choice for anybody with a large throughput, but for everyday, sharp quality printing that is primarily text, I doubt that there is a better value printer on the market. I have seen more robust and solidly built printers but it seems to be of a good build quality to me, especially when one considers its price. Obviously, I cannot comment on the life expectancy of the toner, but I seem to remember similar comments about my old ML-4500 . . . As a former teacher who has printed out thousands of sheets during my career, it is my experience that the toners in all mono lasers, (be they Canon, HP, Brother etc) seem to have a very long life and are really cost effective compared with colour printers of any description. I would be very surprised if any purchaser of this printer could fail to be impressed with it. I for one am more than satisfied.
on 14 July 2013
I am actually very pleased with this printer, the resolution/quality is truly excellent. but there are two small issues:

Turning it / your router off will stop it working wirelessly (I suspect I could fix this by assigning a fixed IP address, but I've not figured this out yet).

Second, it struggles with transparencies unless they have a paper backing sheet.

Neither of these are huge issues to me, but I thought I'd share them.

Would I buy it again? Absolutely, for the price it is an amazing printer, and, it looks like you get a pretty full "starter" toner cartridge (I'm still using my first one)
on 30 March 2013
For the price this printer is amazing! It takes up no space and is perfect for the household. The vast majority of stuff we print has no requirement for colour, if it does we uses the inkjet. The samsung mobile app is installed on my Android phone, My ipad and my wife's iphone. I will read my work emails on my ipad when I am getting my breakfast, now if i need to print something it can be done straight away. Printing wirelessly from a mobile device to a laser printer fro £60 (give or take)... seriously... how could you not be happy.
on 28 December 2012
Bought this to replace my old inkjet which gobbled and chewed paper, this perfect and FAST! I would reccomend this printer 100%
on 11 February 2013
Good, cheap and very compact laser printer. Took 20 minutes to set up wirelessly with my Apple iMac running 10.7.5. You need to do it manually - run the install disc and when you get to Network Connection Settings, open that and select "I want to change the settings". Then go into the advanced settings and set it up with the name of your network, the encryption type and the password. Then click next and it will configure the printer for your Mac wireless network. Once the installation is finished, go to Printers in Sys Prefs and you may see the printer there. Delete it and then click the + sign to add a printer and the Samsung will appear as a wireless option. I could not get the automated WPS method to work despite having a WPS router. The manual method takes a minute or two longer that's all. But I can guarantee it works.
on 28 November 2015
Worst printer I ever bought. We had this printer for a year and half and regret it every time we use it.
The biggest problem is that it crumples the paper! We are light users (max. 10 pages of printing per month), yet it started crumpling the papers from about 2-3 month of usage. We tried to change paper settings etc., but didn't help. Googling shows other people also have similar problems. Oh well, lesson learned and will never buy Samsung printer again.
The installation instruction is very confusing and we ended up reinstalling several times. In the end we went to Samsung website, downloaded and installed, which worked better. The wireless feature of this printer seems very poor. So many hours we spent trying to trouble shoot this printer!
on 9 May 2013
It starts quickly, prints fast with almost no delay, dead easy to use, good quality printouts, using the cable is easier than the wireless setup but the wireless does work if you persevere.
on 29 June 2014
I have had all sorts of problems with this printer and will probably dump it and buy another one. I have received error messages when trying to print ever since I first bought this. It used to get over its brain-fart if I turned it off and on, or disconnected and reconnected, or closed down the computer and then restarted it.

But now I can't get it to print at all, despite uninstalling and reinstalling the driver. the computer recognises that the printer is there but even when wired via USB (which is the only way I have ever used it), it keeps producing an error message when trying to print.

Samsung can make phones and TVs (I have a Galaxy SIII and a widescreen TV, both of which work fine), but they can't make printers.
on 28 August 2013
I've finally got the wireless printing working after doing a fresh install. I didn't read the instructions to be fair so the first time around I connected the printer using the third wizard option where you use the USB cable to temporarily set-up the wireless printing. The wizard seemed to work okay but after disconnecting the USB cable, I noticed that the driver was still searching for a USB port. I couldn't get it working so I decided to uninstall everything including the printer driver and start again.

This time I used the second wizard option - to find the wireless printer on the network without using the USB cable. It found it, it installed all software and drivers and I printed a wireless test page. Now when I print from Word it's looking for a wireless LAN rather than a USB port.

I like the size of the printer but the front panel is a tad flimsy as confirmed by others. It's also putting tracks in my paper but I'm using really thin paper because my old Samsung printer (ML-2510) wouldn't grab thicker paper; which was a known issue with that printer. This is not a major issue for me though and will hopefully be negated once I get some thicker paper.