‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Moulton's mixes, 7 July 2013
This review is from: Philadelphia International Classics: The Tom Moulton Remixes (Audio CD)
Tom Moulton is the master of the remix. His mixes are not as long as John Morales's remixes, they short and sweet. And you know what to expect from Moulton. I enjoy listening to these songs. Great stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories, 3 July 2013
What a fantastic collection of music that I was brought up on.
The extended plays have been mixed brilliantly.
Brought back great memories from the good old disco days

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 18 Jun 2013
A better way of listening to old classics, the sounds are really enhanced. A good buy for those that want the extra Philly sound

5.0 out of 5 stars Zing went the strings, 22 Feb 2013
From start to finish, the music on this box set is an absolute thrill. The remix of Trammps 'Zing went the strings of my heart' is the most uplifting track imaginable - my current favourite of them all. But tomorrow it might be 'She's a winner.' And the next day 'When will I see you again.' I never thought I could love that track so much. Add in the wonderful 'TSOP'... I could go on and on. And i've not even reached cd 4 yet. This is music to thrill the soul. An absolute joy from start to finish (when I get there!). Did I mention 'Backstabbers' or 'The whole town's talking' or 'Don't leave me this way?' or ...
To copy another reviewer - buy it, buy it, buy it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love Music!, 19 July 2012
Mr. Graham Betts "Pickwick Papers" (Amersham, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this whilst waiting for the release of the Philadephia International 40th Anniversary box set, thinking that this would give me an instant Philly fix and starter until the main course arrived.

I also remember the original double album of Philadephia International Classics that Tom Moulton remixed, with the version of 'I Love Music' one of the greatest remixes I've ever heard. So the opportunity of having considerably more remixes was too good a chance to pass up.

This set is exceptional in its own right. It has introduced me to songs I'd long forgotten, some I didn't even know ('Slow Motion') and others that I'd always wanted to be longer than the four or five minutes they ran for originally.

Exceptional choice of songs, great packaging and a collection that has not been off the in-car player since I got it some two months or so ago!

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning achievement, 11 April 2012
As an avid music collector, sometimes I take for granted how much great music I have in my collection. But once in awhile a CD comes along that really knocks me off my feet and becomes a prized possession in my collection; "Philadelphia Classics: The Tom Moulton Remixes" is one of those CDs.

I've been familiar with Tom Moulton's work for many years - from his Grace Jones productions, to his glorious "suites" on Gloria Gaynor's classic disco albums - but this compilation demonstrates Moulton at his best. His ability to make these classic records even better is nothing short of genius. I am a fan of remixes, but my favourite remixes are the ones which extend the best features of a song, but do not take out the vocals. Moulton does both, extending instrumental breaks and keeping vocals intact (the gorgeous harmonies of the Three Degrees being one example).

What is most impressive about this set is that it inclues a number of Moulton's classic mixes from back in the day, including "Love is the Message" and "I Love Music", but it also includes a number of newly created Moulton mixes. I cannot believe the mix of Lou Rawls' "You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine" is a brand new mix. It sounds timeless.

The combination of Tom Moulton and Philadelphia International has resulted in some of the most enjoyable and influential music in the last 40 years. This well packaged and superb sounding box set is a keepsake of the magic Moulton brought to these classic records.

5.0 out of 5 stars It Doesn't Get Any Better Than This. Really!, 31 Mar 2012
I concurr 199% with all the other reviews.

OK, I'm biased (I'm the guy who runs Harmless Records) and this project certainly exhausted everyone both practically and emotionally - not least Tom Moulton who was completely drained after 6 months of re-visiting his own history. But, boy, what a wonderful feeling to see such a fantastic reaction and such support for what I believe is truly one of the most incredible releases I've ever had the pleasure to work on.

Also, it's just brilliant to see that Philadelphia International Records are still cracking the Top 20 some 40 years after their formation.

That's longevity!

This is a must-have addition to every serious music lovers collection in my opinion. It takes pride of place in mine that's for sure!

Ian Dewhirst

5.0 out of 5 stars Sensational, 6 April 2012
A. Owen "anthonymowen" (Orpington, England) - See all my reviews
Sixteen (at the time of writing) reviews, all with five stars, aren't wrong even if one is a cheeky contribution from Ian Dewhirst responsible for the chronological track sequence on this four album set. Credit where credit is due, his maths and the music are both premier league!!!

I have to confess that the Tom Moulton remixes by-passed me first time round. Remix tends to be a dirty word with me, often equating to drum machines and electronic beeps added to a track. These remixes are totally different. They prolong certain sections of a tune and reloop exciting bits be they a chorus or an instrumental lick. Instruments drop out and are added back with the end result that tracks are completely rebuilt. They remain familiar yet new at the same time.

I was an early bird purchaser at 11.99 but this box set is still a steal at 13.99 for almost four and a half hours of true Philadelphia Classics. It succeeds on so many levels. It provides a reminder of what great music came out of Philadelphia particularly from the Gamble/Huff songwriting team. With the exception of the O'Jays 'Love Train', how often do you hear most of these tracks? It presents beautifully recorded versions of classic songs which could only have been mixed by someone with a genuine love and feel for the music.

Not only have I discovered exquisite versions of songs I know but also exquisite versions of songs I didn't know such as The Futures 'Party Time Man'. With the approaching 40th anniversary of Philadelphia Internatinal I have noticed an increased interest in lesser known acts like the Intruders and Jean Carn (both included). Perhaps a Philadelphia revival is on the way.

Like other reviewers I am absolutely thrilled with my purchase and I am sure you will be too. This beautifully produced and packaged box set is simply too good not to buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT WONDERFUL AMAZING, 31 Mar 2012
E. Thoen - See all my reviews
WOW WOW WOW
What a 4 GREAT CD's!!!
The Phillysound at it's best brought to you by Mr Tom 12" Moulton!!!
GREAT GREAT GREAT
Buy This If You Like "The Sound Of Philadelphia".
TSOP WE STILL LOVE YA
The "Trammps Disco Theme/ Zing went the Strings" mix is truly wonderfully beautifully AMAZING!!!!!!!!
As are ALL the other tracks!
They blew my mind.

What a showpiece of true mixing masterclass!

Forget about "The Re-Edits" and "Get down With The Phillysound"

This is The REAL TSOP SOUND thanks to Mr Tom Moulton!

Thank You Gamble & Huff!
Thank YOU Mr. Tom Moulton!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 14 Feb 2014
CD excellent and sounds great, very pleased with the CD. It is Various Artists at their best and very enjoyable. GREAT

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›