on 27 December 2013
What a gem! Planning my first trip to Italy in the summer next year, wanted a guide to keep me enthused and excited about learning the language in the meantime. That is exactly what it is doing, has kept me stimulated, challenging whilst fun, formatted interestingly for either the beginner or the advanced. Looking to make the most out of my vacation and talk to as many people as possible, I am starting to feel prepared! Rarely write reviews on amazon, but really wanted to with this one, recommended!
on 2 June 2013
I downloaded this on to my Kindle and took it on holiday with me to Calabria just recently.

The helpful hints about correct usage of vocabulary really came in useful and I enjoyed the format of the chapters.

Just wondering how you can get the "Free Audio CD" download please?
44 comments|8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 January 2014
Excellent, straight forward and memorable. Ideal for anyone with basic knowledge and a love of Italy. Can dip into it anytime and get lost in the fascination of such a beautiful language.
on 15 January 2014
Very good. Excellent bite size sections easy to use and you really feel as though you are making some progress with the language. Would recommend this.
on 26 August 2014
This is a very good book for students of Italian who are already at an intermediate level. It's highly recommended.
on 27 July 2014
Quite useful but unable to access the "free audio download" so feel shortchanged about that. I like to listen as well as read. This need to be sorted - it shouldn't advertise something it doesn't actually provide.
on 17 September 2010
Learning a new language is both tremendously exciting and extremely difficult. We often seek clear and certain rules from which we can generalise. However, while there are many such rules, our natural tendency to generalise can wreak havoc upon our ability to understand some of the many subtle nuances that any native speaker understands intuitively. Unfortunately, that intuitive knowledge is often difficult to articulate, harder still to teach, and ensures that any mistakes are immediately apparent to the ear of any native speaker. Thankfully, this author is alert and sensitive to that difficulty, and presents this exceptionally useful little book with great wit and style.

Although primarily marketed at those with a good working knowledge of Italian, the true genius of this book is that it is also an indispensible companion for anyone just starting to learn the language. The reason being it highlights common pitfalls, explains why they occur, and shows how to overcome them. If only there were such an exquisite little guide to help us overcome the common pitfalls of all of life's endeavours!

My sincere compliments to the author, and to any potential buyer, I commend this book to you whole-heartedly!
on 26 May 2014
Good if you want to improve your skills, but you need to have a knowledge of basic Italian grammar etc.
on 24 January 2014
Excellent book to dip in and out of - and much clearer/less fussy grammar explanations than most books I've looked at. But for some reason, I, also, cannot find any way to download free audio CD
on 17 April 2015
Picked up some handy tips that otherwise may have taken me years to realise or have anyone point out the error, so although most of the material was stuff I'd already covered, it was still worth it in this respect.