5.0 out of 5 stars My Wonderful Discovery
I approached this book without any real expectations. I've never read anything else by this author, but the sample chapter sparked my interest.

Well let me tell you, I would be shocked if this author didn't go on to be a huge hit in the publishing world! I genuinely feel like I've discovered a huge hit before it's about to take off in the charts.

I...
Published on 23 Jan 2012 by Dennis Coughlin

2.0 out of 5 stars An ok read....
Maybe it deserved 3 stars but I really felt that this story after a fantastic and gripping start....began to go downhill after the halfway point with a disintegrating and bedraggled storyline...I had great trouble finishing...
Published on 14 April 2012 by RT Twinem

5.0 out of 5 stars My Wonderful Discovery, 23 Jan 2012
This review is from: From The Storm (Kindle Edition)

I started reading on Saturday morning and then proceeded to pick it up during every other available moment during the weekend. You know a book is good when, even after reading it all weekend, you can't wait to pick it up during the Monday morning bus ride.

I don't want to spoil the story for anyone else, but the characters are all varied and interesting. The book jumps between a few locations such as Paris and the French Alps and moves between the present day and a near future. It even has some statements to make about Global Warming.

I've already recommended this book to my friends and family and when Adrian Walker becomes a household name, I can point to this review and say, "See, I told you so!"

5.0 out of 5 stars A Thriller with Real Legs, 8 Mar 2012
D. N. Owen "Dystopia Guy" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: From The Storm (Kindle Edition)
At first glance, 'From the Storm' could be an overblown thriller. A diamond smuggling plot, a hitman with a missing leg, and the mafia casting a dark shadow over the lives of the protagonists. Indeed, these ideas are slickly executed, uniquely employed (ever wondered how a man with a prosthetic leg uses a squat toilet?) and get the blood pumping through the frenetically paced action sequences. There really never is a dull moment.

What sets this apart from a standard thriller is the heart beating behind it all. Each and every character is carefully observed and created, recognisable and compelling. Joseph in particular, the one-legged assassin, is likeable despite a coldness in his nature, easy to root for despite his past as a killer. And you'll be riveted as his story unfolds over several decades.

It really is an impressive feat - 'From the Storm' is almost epistolary, a wide cast of characters interspersed with diary entries, e-mails, and online chat exchanges. The time-frame shifts from the past to an ecotopian future, the setting taking in a blizzard-beset French mountain, the urban mess of modern-day London, the wilds of Laos. Each is created vividly and evocatively. The different strands of the story are all held together and developed with remarkable assurance - you'll be reading in desperation to see how every character ties together, and you won't be disappointed when all becomes clear.

This is one of my first experiences with an indie author, and I was not disappointed. Adrian Walker can write just as well, if not better, than any thriller author you might take of the shelf in a bookshop. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down., 12 Mar 2012
This review is from: From The Storm (Kindle Edition)
I downloaded the kindle edition of this book without any real expectations, given that it was free. However, it was surprisingly enjoyable and I had trouble switching it off at bedtime, thinking 'just one more chapter' over again. I even felt disappointment when I reached the end.

From the Storm is a past and present view of the lives of several main characters, especially two of them. As the story develops you begin to piece together the parts they played in each others lives and whereas there are no major twists or surprises, the reader does get a sense of real anticipation that keeps the pages turning throughout.

Certainly, I would pay for the next book from this author and will keep an eye open for more of his work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really couldn't put it down!, 17 Jan 2012
This review is from: From The Storm (Kindle Edition)
I downloaded a sample of this before buying, and couldn't get the whole thing quick enough! It seems a bit of a bizarre combination of a little girl's diary, an it boy's adventures and the story of an ageing assassin, but it really works to keep you guessing and reading on to find out what happens to each of the characters. I particularly loved the concept of the house being buried in snow and found myself quite concerned about what might happen to the little girl (surprisingly realistically written from a first person's viewpoint)! I highly recommend this modern adventure tale that incorporates dark humour with moving tales of human emotion. A great first novel!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully Written, 26 May 2012
This review is from: From The Storm (Kindle Edition)
As someone who downloads a lot of free and cheap Kindle books, and who reads them and ends up feeling vaguely disappointed, I never have very high expectations. Maybe a good story, or a good twist, maybe good writing. Rarely are all three found together. From The Storm is very different! It is beautifully written, each character has their own distinctive voice and the writing changes subtly for each of them, which just enhances the feeling of being absorbed into the story.

The story itself starts at several different places, and timelines and the intriguing way these combine together at the end means that you aren't left disappointed as ends are tied up and the tale is unveiled.

I thoroughly enjoyed From The Storm, and have already recommended it to many of my friends. I think so many 5 star reviews speak for themselves, so download a fantastic book. You really won't be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent debut novel, 15 May 2012
Paul (Crawley, West Sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: From The Storm (Kindle Edition)
I had pretty much stopped buying low cost Kindle books after a couple of poor choices but this is really an excellent novel, full of promise for this author. It is extremely readable with believable characters and a great plot. Well worth picking up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable read, 7 May 2012
This review is from: From The Storm (Kindle Edition)
Fantastic first book from Adrian Walker - interesting characters, fascinating storylines interlinking.. Couldn't put it down - only critisism is it wasn't long enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling, 6 Mar 2014
This review is from: From The Storm (Kindle Edition)
What a good read was delighted with this book, it has everything required for an enthralling unsustainable read.
I just did not want to get to the end and am hoping there will be a sequel. Need to know more about ash and Catharine now and also Joe's second time on the farm. More please from this great author.

4.0 out of 5 stars worth the effort in the end, 9 Jan 2014
This review is from: From The Storm (Kindle Edition)
I was recommended this book by my daughter who knew the author in a previous life. It was slow to start with but certainly much better than many books by other better-known writers. Some parts were a bit seedy for me eg.Ashley's exploits in Thailand. I especially enjoyed the descriptions of being trapped by the snow in the mountains. I do find the typos in the kindle versions annoying(why do these happen so often?). However the plot all came to-gether and I would buy more by this author.

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow start but worth sticking with, 29 Dec 2013
This review is from: From The Storm (Kindle Edition)
I have to say I really enjoyed this book. The opening exposition and the multiple character threads took a little too long to be developed. However once the character of Elmo is the centre of focus the story takes off.

ARRAY(0xadd1d8e8)