Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.99

on 12 March 2012
I downloaded the kindle edition of this book without any real expectations, given that it was free. However, it was surprisingly enjoyable and I had trouble switching it off at bedtime, thinking 'just one more chapter' over again. I even felt disappointment when I reached the end.

From the Storm is a past and present view of the lives of several main characters, especially two of them. As the story develops you begin to piece together the parts they played in each others lives and whereas there are no major twists or surprises, the reader does get a sense of real anticipation that keeps the pages turning throughout.

Certainly, I would pay for the next book from this author and will keep an eye open for more of his work.
on 23 January 2012
I approached this book without any real expectations. I've never read anything else by this author, but the sample chapter sparked my interest.

Well let me tell you, I would be shocked if this author didn't go on to be a huge hit in the publishing world! I genuinely feel like I've discovered a huge hit before it's about to take off in the charts.

I started reading on Saturday morning and then proceeded to pick it up during every other available moment during the weekend. You know a book is good when, even after reading it all weekend, you can't wait to pick it up during the Monday morning bus ride.

I don't want to spoil the story for anyone else, but the characters are all varied and interesting. The book jumps between a few locations such as Paris and the French Alps and moves between the present day and a near future. It even has some statements to make about Global Warming.

I've already recommended this book to my friends and family and when Adrian Walker becomes a household name, I can point to this review and say, "See, I told you so!"
on 26 May 2012
As someone who downloads a lot of free and cheap Kindle books, and who reads them and ends up feeling vaguely disappointed, I never have very high expectations. Maybe a good story, or a good twist, maybe good writing. Rarely are all three found together. From The Storm is very different! It is beautifully written, each character has their own distinctive voice and the writing changes subtly for each of them, which just enhances the feeling of being absorbed into the story.

The story itself starts at several different places, and timelines and the intriguing way these combine together at the end means that you aren't left disappointed as ends are tied up and the tale is unveiled.

I thoroughly enjoyed From The Storm, and have already recommended it to many of my friends. I think so many 5 star reviews speak for themselves, so download a fantastic book. You really won't be disappointed.
on 8 March 2012
At first glance, 'From the Storm' could be an overblown thriller. A diamond smuggling plot, a hitman with a missing leg, and the mafia casting a dark shadow over the lives of the protagonists. Indeed, these ideas are slickly executed, uniquely employed (ever wondered how a man with a prosthetic leg uses a squat toilet?) and get the blood pumping through the frenetically paced action sequences. There really never is a dull moment.

What sets this apart from a standard thriller is the heart beating behind it all. Each and every character is carefully observed and created, recognisable and compelling. Joseph in particular, the one-legged assassin, is likeable despite a coldness in his nature, easy to root for despite his past as a killer. And you'll be riveted as his story unfolds over several decades.

It really is an impressive feat - 'From the Storm' is almost epistolary, a wide cast of characters interspersed with diary entries, e-mails, and online chat exchanges. The time-frame shifts from the past to an ecotopian future, the setting taking in a blizzard-beset French mountain, the urban mess of modern-day London, the wilds of Laos. Each is created vividly and evocatively. The different strands of the story are all held together and developed with remarkable assurance - you'll be reading in desperation to see how every character ties together, and you won't be disappointed when all becomes clear.

This is one of my first experiences with an indie author, and I was not disappointed. Adrian Walker can write just as well, if not better, than any thriller author you might take of the shelf in a bookshop. Highly recommended.
on 2 August 2015
I read this after enjoying Walker's second novel The End of the World Running Club and found it to be equally good, perhaps a touch better. An excellent thriller with great characters and clever blending of seemingly disparate plotlines. The hitman character and the farm girl are particularly well-drawn, and the young idiot traveller undergoing some life revelations through various disasters provides some endearing comic relief. Really well written and hard to put down - the only reasons I didn't go for 5 stars are (1) the dramatic climax, and particularly a new villain that popped up, seemed slightly cheesy and cliched compared to everything that led up to it. (2) there were quite a few typos which can be distracting! (please check your its and it's....). But I'll definitely keep reading Walker's work.
on 15 May 2012
I had pretty much stopped buying low cost Kindle books after a couple of poor choices but this is really an excellent novel, full of promise for this author. It is extremely readable with believable characters and a great plot. Well worth picking up.
on 14 August 2012
I have just finished reading this book and all I can say is wow!

I am a fan of Stephen King, Sidney Sheldon and Jeffery Archer books but I can tell you that with this book, Adrian Walker has shown the promise of becoming a great writer. I haven't enjoyed the story of a new writer for quite some time but 'From the Storm' was definitely a captivating page-turner. The writer has captured just the right amount of detail, allowing the reader room to use their own imagination as the strands of the stories combine to come together for an ending which will leave a smile on your face.

I will be recommending this book to all my friends and family and wouldn't mind paying more for his books in future.
on 17 January 2012
I downloaded a sample of this before buying, and couldn't get the whole thing quick enough! It seems a bit of a bizarre combination of a little girl's diary, an it boy's adventures and the story of an ageing assassin, but it really works to keep you guessing and reading on to find out what happens to each of the characters. I particularly loved the concept of the house being buried in snow and found myself quite concerned about what might happen to the little girl (surprisingly realistically written from a first person's viewpoint)! I highly recommend this modern adventure tale that incorporates dark humour with moving tales of human emotion. A great first novel!
on 7 May 2012
Fantastic first book from Adrian Walker - interesting characters, fascinating storylines interlinking.. Couldn't put it down - only critisism is it wasn't long enough!
on 19 May 2013
I downloaded the book for 99p and it is worth so much more. I don't get much chance to read with three children and so don't have much patience with books that don't grip me quickly. From the storm got me early on and I couldn't put if down- even during my son's night feeds! Shows how much it had me hooked!
There are a number of story lines, all of them develop well and I had no idea how they would all come together. The storytelling was witty and amusing. Just brilliant. I hope Adrian goes far and will be getting the new book when it arrives!