Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on 28 August 2014
Lisa Henry has written an extraordinary novel, but for me it wasn't the easiest read, which I will address shortly. Firstly the pros: well drawn characters, story is told from both leads' point of view, and the plot is an intriguing thriller that keeps the pages turning. So why is it a difficult read? For the same reasons... You are emotionally invested in the outcome, my heart ached for Lee & later for Shaw. There were points where I literally had to stop reading or skip a paragraph or two as I couldn't stomach what Lee had to endure. The theme of hope is skilfully woven into the story and no matter how uneasy, you need to know what happens next, you need to find out how it all fits together, and you need to know if the guys ever get their HEA.
There are some scenes of torture and cruelty, if you can deal with those, you will be rewarded with a story of hope, love, survival and the strength of the human spirit. For the price & quality of writing, you won't be disappointed.
on 8 June 2014
I was well aware Lisa Henry does not write run of the mill m/m books so was looking forward to The Island! The product disruption gives a good account of the storyline so I wasn't expecting a hearts and flowers read!

This book is not easy to review without giving the story away so it's based on my feelings.

The book gripped hold of my attention from the first page I was intrigued by Shaw and wondered just how much of a bad ass he truly was. When Lee comes into the equation my mind went into overdrive! Lee is a sex toy used and tortured in ways you don't want to have to think about. your mind is telling you the best thing anyone could do for him is kill him quickly.
I can only be grateful that this author has a wonderful way of letting you know what is going on without actually writing down those horrific scenes, although I have no idea how she manages it!

I guess this is a dark read but it is also a read full of greed, crime, wealth, hope, trust, friendship and love!
What can the human body endure before it totally gives up and what price is acceptable for another to watch the torture, rape and pain another goes through?

This book was written with expertise, the twists and turns surprised, shocked and had me wondering how I hadn't seen them coming. I read this book in one sitting as there was no putting it down once I'd started!

I would highly recommend this book. Don't be put off by the fact it could be described as a dark, depressing read. The twists and turns will keep your heart pounding and take you on a journey that will play with your mind... But you will love this book! Download!!
on 25 April 2014
Well what can I say awesome doesn't do it justice had it on my wish list for awhile then read some reviews and thought I'd give it a try it sure as hell kept me reading this really is a book with a difference it will be on my recommended list for a long time
on 21 July 2014
Great Read

I wasn't sure what to expect with this book as the subject matter was clearly a little unsettling to say the least and I kept putting it off. I'd had it on my kindle for a while and I thought, right, just go for it! I'm so glad I did. The writing was excellent and you couldn't help but be drawn in. I won't spoil it by revealing the story in too much detail, but needless to say you had to finish it to see how the characters faired. Emotions leave you feeling a bit drained in this story and I couldn't stop thinking about it, but let's just also say I didn't get any housework done for 2 days! Loved it.
on 8 March 2014
This was a difficult book for me to read as it deals with rape a subject matter than I am extremely uncomfortable with and there was lots of it in this book, but the story was told well and throughout I was unsure how a HEA could to be believable under the circumstances but I believe the author has pulled it off quite well.
on 3 July 2013
Amazing book, i loved it. Really great story and characters. Good length and flows from start to end. Highly recommend.
on 19 September 2014
Oh my, this was amazing and very disturbing but I couldn't put it down. This one that I would read and read again.
on 16 September 2015
Great story, very original premise, well developed characters, drama, action, angst and intrigue.