5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book
Published on 13 Jan 2012 by booklover1

3.0 out of 5 stars Great But.......................
I bought this book for a friend of mine who loves baking and I thought she would love it. I have watched the series and thought it was great. I agree with the positive reviews, the recipes are great and the brothers appear genuine and passionate about what they do.
Published on 23 Jan 2012 by GDJ COLACO

3.0 out of 5 stars Great But......................., 23 Jan 2012
GDJ COLACO (London UK) - See all my reviews
However what disappointed me the most is that in the series the brothers had recipes like the rabbit pies, cherry pies with meringue chorizo sausage rolls things my friend wanted to try and to my shock none of these recipes are in the book.
Come On guys if you are going to have a series and show these recipes why then not have them in your book. Why have some but not all. Feel like I have paid for something thats not all there!!! Don't know who made the decision but it pretty damn
disappointing

3.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear!, 9 Feb 2012
I'm not really sure why I have been watching the show each week on Chanel 4 as it irritates the hell out of me. However, some of the recipes are so easy and fun to do. Ever since the butter making was shown I am telling everyone how easy it is and I scour the shelves in the wholesalers to find reduced double cream so I can produce more butter each week for my baking (I run a cafe). So, last night (the last program in the series) I watched the show and really fancied doing the lardy cake (even dreamed about it all night which is a little worrying) and also the chicken pie. So, bright and early I got up and went to Sainsbury's and decided to buy the book along with all the ingredients. I'd looked them up on the net before I left home. Why did I bother to buy the book I wonder? Why was I stupid enough to think the book would have all that had been on the show in it? Yes there are some of the recipes but nowhere near all of them. Not even basic pastry. So, I have landed up downloading them, printing them out and laminating them for future use. They do have their pie wars recipes on their website but you can't seem to be able to cut the writing and paste it into a word document and so land up having to print off loads of rubbish you don't really want. I feel it is hugely irresponsible of Chanel 4 to promote the book when it has far from all the televised recipes. Yes it's an ok book but a total con if you want it for what you have seen on the shows. It may have been rushed out but was this to make a quick buck rather than to enthral their loyal watchers? What have I learned? Always look inside before you buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book, 13 Jan 2012
This is an absolutely gorgeous cook book. Not only are the pictures stunning but the recipes are clear and easy to follow and I've even successfully made a delicious loaf of bread, quite some feat considering a fairly disastrous recent attempt at a Jamie Oliver bread recipe! I love watching the boys on TV and this book sums up their enthusiasm and imagination brilliantly. It would make a wonderful gift and all my friends will be receiving it for their birthdays this year!

2.0 out of 5 stars A major disappointment, 6 Aug 2012
IOWBOY - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
As someone who has a pretty decent collection of cookery books, and also a viewer (and fan) of the televison series of which this book accompanies, I have to admit to being majorly disappointed with the final results.

I watched every episode of the series, and not only liked the type of food the brothers prepared, I liked many of the techniques employed.

The food, with only a couple of exceptions, was unpretentious, appealing and felt completely achievable, even to those with average 'kitchen skills'.

What went wrong?!

The book itself is beautifully produced, and clearly a huge amount of care has gone into its design; I particularly enjoyed the detailed background information on where the brothers came from, a nice touch.

However, I am disappointed to say that this is where any pleasure or appreciation ends for me.

On looking through the book I found myself thinking "is this really from the same series?!". So many of the recipes were unfamiliar, a great deal were pretentious and I personally think highly unlikely to be attempted by most readers (however keen) and to cap it off for me there were actually two whole pages devoted to a 'recipe' for a CHIP BUTTY................. seriously!!!!!

I don't think I've ever been so disappointed with a book that accompanied a televison series, and with literally only a couple of examples I cannot see myself making any of the recipes from within.

The book was received as a gift; if this had been a purchase by myself, which it very nearly turned out to be, I would have without doubt returned it and requested a refund.

Oh dear.........

5.0 out of 5 stars Great guys; great TV; great book, 3 Feb 2012
Loving the TV show; loving the book just as much. Wonderfully tasty food and the book's design is stunning. I'm a baking novice but my chocolate cake has been much admired. Keep up the good work fellas!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Baker Brothers = Fabulous Baking Book!, 12 Jan 2012
With such an explosion of baking books over recent years and a host of new faces on the baking scene the Fabulous Baker Brothers are like a breath of fresh air. It's brilliant to see people championing local produce, British suppliers and most of all using ingredients which you really want to eat. They clearly love what they do for a living and it really shows in the care and attention they've paid to all the delicious recipes.

And on top of all of this, the book is genuinely one of the most stunningly-produced cookery titles I've bought in a very long time. It's worth buying just for the gorgeous pages alone but I can guarantee if you buy it you just won't be able to resist getting stuck in to the recipes. I defy anyone who can resist 'Henry's Scotch Eggs' which are the most heavenly combination of meat, spices and soft boiled eggs I've ever eaten. And then of course there's the Slider Burger... And the homemade Chapattis... Fabulous indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Has converted me to baking..., 18 Jan 2012
This is the most fantastic book... I tried the spelt soda bread at the weekend, and it was absolutely incredible - in fact, it all got eaten before I had time to make the smoked mackerel pate to go on it (but that's definitely next on my list). Also love the look of it: beautiful and practical ... a bit like Tom and Henry, then!

2.0 out of 5 stars Too many fillers, 25 Jan 2012
I have been watching the Fabulous Baker Brothers series on Channel 4 and loved some of the recipes, especially the pies in 'pie wars'. The book had good reviews so I bought it eager to try out some of the pie recipes. The book was very disapointing with none of the pie recipes in from the programme. It has some good recipes for bread including sourdough, but the many recipes 'what to do with bread' such as toasted cheese sandwich, blt sandwich, kidneys and scrambled egg on toast, are far to basic and there are way too many. There are a lot of 'recipes' in the book that most people would not need to look at a book to know how to cook. The apple crumble too is all too basic for an experienced cook like myself or even somone with basic knowledge. The only decent ecipe was for chocolate cake but Id never use that as it has 500g chocoloate and 10 eggs and seems way to expensive and unnecessary. Have to say I love the show but the book is not worth buying

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring Book, 9 Feb 2013
Ms. J. A. Andrews (France) - See all my reviews
It is not a very inspiring book - found it quite dull and non-appetitising for a cookery book. Much better ones on the market.

2.0 out of 5 stars fab baker bro book, 9 Mar 2012
I was really impressed with the,tv series thought id get the book ,its a complete let down in the series it states all reciepes are in the bookbut they are not . so overall not impressed with the book at all

The Fabulous Baker Brothers