5.0 out of 5 stars Mimi's Secret Life
Published on 14 Mar 2012 by Lynn P. Andrews

3.0 out of 5 stars kennedy
The book has some interesting details.Also are included facts of that fate full day.Some times a little shallow but means well.The private lives of the people of that time are revealed and really they were no different from us.A good light read.
Published on 9 Mar 2012 by Adil

5.0 out of 5 stars Mimi's Secret Life, 14 Mar 2012
This review is from: Once upon a Secret (Hardcover)
I am a real JFK fanatic and have read so many accounts of his life that I should be an authority. When I heard Mimi Alford had written about her 18 month affair with Jack Kennedy I couldn't wait to read it. I was not disappointed. Well, in a way I was, because it is not very long and I had hoped for a nice chunky read. What Mimi lacked in page numbers however, she made up for in detail - not sensationalism or explicit accounting - but more about her feelings as she got deeper and deeper involved with this charismatic world leader. She writes about how she became part of the Presidential inner circle and how the affair, even though brief, affected most of her adult life. Mimi shares the journey she took which eventually sees her coming out the other side as a much stronger person.
It seems that no matter how much I read about this man there is always something new to be discovered.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another side to JFK, 26 Jun 2012
Karen B (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Once upon a Secret (Hardcover)
I read this book alongside the transcripts of Jaqueline Kennedy's oral history of her life with JFK. It was a coincidence, but it gives two very different perpsectives on the man - and shows how callous he could be. Worth doing if you can.

This book is well written, although very short and therefore not the best value for money. It's also without photos - quite unusual for this sort of book. Having said that, the brevity and lack of pulp to me suggests this is a very honest book - and one in which the author has felt no need to embroider or fabricate.

Read it and you will see a darker side to JFK (I have read a lot of books on the man, and this shocked me). It's not full of scandal or shocks (try 'The Darker Side of Camelot' if you want that sort of thing, not that I rate that book). But it does have details of JFK and his behaviour, and his total ability to switch off his morals; and his inability to control his needs for sex and control. In that, it shows what a complex man he was.

Some things did sicken me; not only because he was married - but because he had a daughter of his own, and I have no doubt that he would have been truly appalled if anyone had treated her in the same seedy way he treated Mimi Alford at times.

Worth a read; but be prepared to think a little less of JFK than you did before.

5.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable, light read, 12 Mar 2012
This review is from: Once upon a Secret (Hardcover)
I have read many books on JFK and I would describe this one as an enjoyable, light read. It is not heavy on the facts or academic by any means, but it is an interesting insight into another, more private, side of JFK from one of his mistresses who had an 18 month affair with him during his presidency. Don't expect graphic detail of their liaisons, but a warm reflection of the man overall.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good and quick read, 9 Jan 2014
This review is from: Once upon a Secret (Kindle Edition)
Nice insight in the White House. Nothing seems to shock us easily these days.
Made me think, are they all at it?

4.0 out of 5 stars Opinion, 12 Dec 2013
Mariam Rosen - See all my reviews
A secret like this, revealed after so many years could be made into a very scurrilous narration. However this story, to my mind, remains dignified and discreet. Top marks for lack of vulgarity and sensationalism. Most readable!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite biographies, 29 May 2013
This review is from: Once upon a Secret (Hardcover)
I have been fascinated by JFK and the Kennedy family since I was at school and this book is an excellent read for anyone who is interested in the former President's life. Loved it!

3.0 out of 5 stars kennedy, 9 Mar 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars kennedys litle secret, 14 Mar 2012
This review is from: Once upon a Secret (Kindle Edition)
bought this book as a present for my wife who is fascinated by all things kennedy.had only read the reviews in the papers so being able to read a a part of the book on kindle before purchase helped.great result .the wife loved the book and i am able to read it at the same time on my laptop.

Once upon a Secret