5.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of kit
I bought this principally to stream Netflix to an almost 20 year old CRT TV which has only scart and standard AV connections (the red, white and yellow jack sockets)as an alternative to spending several hundred pounds on a new HD ready TV.

What can I say - after a very straightforward setting up process (you need to use a credit card or Paypal to set up a Roku...
Published on 18 Jun 2012 by RAY

3.0 out of 5 stars Is OK if on special offer
1. To use your Roku you will have to enter your credit card details whether you want to make any purchases or not. So if you hate putting your credit card details into yet another account - don't get this.

2. It comes with just basic AV cables. No HDMI cable included. So while it supports HDMI output, you will need to get a cable separately if you want that...
Published 12 months ago by Online Gamer

‹ Previous | 1 2 328 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars roku rocks ;-), 3 Jun 2013
This review is from: Roku 2400EU LT AV Receiver Set-Top Box (Electronics)
when our Roku was ordered we couldn't wait for it too arrive ;-)
once it arrived we couldn't get it out the box quick enough lol
but oh no there was a setting up problem ;-(
wi fi wasn't been picked up yikes !!!
there was also problem connecting it up to our telly , it only has scart sockets no hdmi |||
we solved this by buying an hdmi to scart converter and upgraded internet to BT infinity wifi signal is much stronger as is picking up Roku very well yay ;-)

we did open an return thinking if this couldn't have been solved then we would have to exchange for the Ethernet model.

we absolutely love and love our Roku infact we have another on the way for upstairs ;-)
its the best way to watch a huge selection of various channels , programmes ;-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Little Thing, My Wife Loves it too, 22 April 2013
This review is from: Roku 2400EU LT AV Receiver Set-Top Box (Electronics)
This little thing is incredible.

Plex plugs into my entire home media storage system, and the Roku device talks you through the entire setup.

IPlayer is perfect on it. Literally perfect.

I have emailed 4od and ITV to sort it out and get their channels on there.

Seriously, get this device and tell Apple to do one.

We are doing some work on our house at the moment, but also plan to buy another 2 of these for our other TVs.

How on earth can you give this one star is almost insane!.

thank you Roku.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart device for streaming, 9 Jan 2013
This review is from: Roku 2400EU LT AV Receiver Set-Top Box (Electronics)
Love this gaget, its design is wonderful and its operation so simple an egg could set it up. About half the size of a good book you will forget its there.

5.0 out of 5 stars i love it, 2 Jan 2013
This review is from: Roku 2400EU LT AV Receiver Set-Top Box (Electronics)
this is best buy i have made i have now tv on it and when i want to watch film it is instant

5.0 out of 5 stars Turn you TV into a smart tv., 24 July 2014
S. Seabridge (Stone,Staffordshire.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Roku 2400EU LT AV Receiver Set-Top Box (Electronics)
If you want a basic device to receive catch up TV then I would recommend this. Better than the Now TV box as there is no requirement to subscribe to on going services unless you choose to. You will however have to open a Roku account which you can do through the box and register your card details (should you want any paid for services). All catch up services are on : BBC iPlayer, 4OD, ITV Player and Demand 5. Youtube is also available and loads of others.
Good value but you will need a HDMI cable as this is not provided. Mains powered by a supplied adapter. Other models with extra features like SD storage are available but cost more. Works wirelessly through you broadband.

3.0 out of 5 stars Really just an iPlayer and Netflix box., 15 Nov 2012
Mr Verrall (Lancaster, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Roku 2400EU LT AV Receiver Set-Top Box (Electronics)
What you need to know now (Nov 2012) about the Roko (whether the LT or XS) is that it is not your panacea for internet streaming. It does Netflix and BBC iPlayer very well indeed, but that is it for the UK right now. Sure there are plenty of other internet channels supported, but trust me, you won't want or watch them. This is not to say that you shouldn't get a roku and there are some things it's very good at.

Pros

* One of the best iPlayer interfaces I've used, very similar in fact to the Xbox 360's look and feel. Unlike my Samsung SmartTV and Sony smart blueray player the Roku allows me to select HD as my default quality and also gives quick links to 'More Episodes' of a series without having to leave my currently streaming program. Not killer features for sure, but it does make the user interactions flow more naturally. It also has an option to save series as favourites but as far as I can tell this does not work.

* The devices is tiny and silent, a huge improvement over the Xbox I was using for Netflix beforehand

* Setup was simple and easy, other than needing credit card details (nothing to pay though).

* Only £50, am I asking too much from a device this cheap?

Cons

* No 4OD, No ITV player, No 5 on demand, No Lovefilm. Content in the UK is limited and with no real indication from Roku if or when more will be available. Roku have said "The BBC iPlayer is the only catch up service on there at the moment. That will change. We are talking to all the guys you would expect us to talk to," (Clive Hudson, head of Roku in Europe). But this was back in March 2012, six months on and we have nothing new and no more tantalising suggestions other than, "NOW TV coming soon to Roku in the UK" back in July 2012, this is Sky's streaming film service and again nearly six months later and nothing.

* Does not support industry standard media streaming over your home network. If you want to use DLNA streaming servers such as those you get on home network storages devices from the likes of Netgear or Qnap etc (e.g. Twonky, Readyshare etc) then forget it. The Roku does support Plex, but you'll need to make a special effort to get this working which frankly is too much to ask when I already have DLNA working fine with my other streaming devices.

* Annoying US targeted adverts on the devices homepage. Every time I go to the home page I have to look at a hidious add for the "ultimate fighting" channel or something equally crass.

* iPlayer favourites don't work, and the interface wrap around hangs around for far too long once the program has started.

In short a good little box for iPlayer and Netflix and treat any new content as a bonus rather than expecting it to arrive.

UPDATE: 02/12/2012 - Sky's NowTV has just appeared in the channels list :D

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 6 Nov 2013
This review is from: Roku 2400EU LT AV Receiver Set-Top Box (Electronics)
Easy set up, looks great, works brilliantly and batteries included, what more could you ask for? I got it for my technophobic 71 yr old mother and she uses it with ease. Only annoying bit is having to use a computer to set up and account with a credit card when we only got it for watching Netflix and iPlayer and have no intention of ever using the paid channels!

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good value - but Virgin BB users may need to read this!, 22 Aug 2013
Roger (Wirral, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Roku 2400EU LT AV Receiver Set-Top Box (Electronics)
I purchased this primarily as a means of access MLB.tv on the TV (as opposed to via the PC or my phone). This app is on newer Samsung TVs & Blu-ray players, but they cost a LOT more!

Connect to your TV using HDMI (no cable supplied!) or via the supplied cable to composite video (HD playback is only possible with HDMI cable).
As another reviewer has said, this model is wifi only (if you need Ethernet, you need to go for the Roku 2XS). It connects fine to my VirginMedia Superhub2 - but only after a bit of headscratching! I am not alone in this, I found the soultion on Virgin's support pages, copied here for the convenience of others.

After first switching on, it scanned for & found my network. I put in the password. It then tries to connect. Initially I got the following message:

"- Can't Connect to your wireless network. Verify that the wireless router is turned on and your entered the password correctly. Remember that passwords are case-sensitive (error code 014)"

After double-checking passwords and rebooting and searching on the net, I found out that there are one or two settings that might need to be changed in "secret" screens.

1. The first thing you may need to do is force a software update (I don't know how it does this without apparently connecting to the network, but it did!)
Press "Home" 5 times, the "FF" 3 times and "RW" twice. On this screen, choose the option to update the software. I did this, rebooted and everything connected fine.

2. If it still isn't working, then you may need the 2nd secret screen
Press "Home" 5 times, "FF", "Play", "RW", "Play", "FF".
On this second screen choose "Disable network pings", then "Back"

Once it connected to the network OK, just needed to follow the instructions to create a Roku account (a credit/debit card or Paypal details are taken, but only for any future use - nothing is charged now) and add the channels I wanted (in my case, MLB.tv).
I opened the channel, followed the instructions (go to website & activate the Roku with the code on the TV screen). The Roku was immediately linked to my account and baseball is back on the TV.

The beauty of this box is that as it is SO small, it is easy to travel with. Most hotel TVs these days have got HDMI ports. Armed with either the hotel wifi (or your mobile phone acting as a hotspot if you have a good data bundle) and you can watch your selected channels on holiday as well :)

I haven't used this yet for any other apps (as most of what I would be interested in is already available to me with other kit), but I suspect they would be just as easy to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top little media streamer, 30 Sep 2013
This review is from: Roku 2400EU LT AV Receiver Set-Top Box (Electronics)
This is the first time I have written a review on Amazon, but I felt this little piece of kit was worth the effort.
After ditching Sky, and the useful second RF output / magic eye setup on an upstairs TV, I was looking for a media streaming device of some sort that would basically allow me to stream from my home network, and possibly some of the on-demand services available, such as BBC iPlayer. Almost even make my 'dumb' TV 'smart'.
Having checked out such things as Apple TV, similar items from the big manufacturers and the Roku range, I decided on this one. Incidentally I only paid £35 for it a couple of weeks ago, bargain!
It's an excellent little unit, easy to setup and use and does exactly what I need. To be honest, we only really currently use the free stuff, iPlayer and Demand 5, as well as the Synology channel to stream from my DiskStation. All works as you would expect, and if you fancy paying the subscriptions for the likes of Now TV or Netflix, I'm sure they will also work well. A good wi-fi signal and broadband is essential.
There's a lot of dross 'channels' on there, but since you set it up yourself, only the channels you choose are displayed, so it's pretty good in that respect.
I was also restricted for space as the TV is wall mounted and I was hoping to avoid having anything wall mounted and requiring too many cables and such. This is great, I've manage to mount it discretely to the bottom of the TV, and being a bit of a techie myself, have made myself a power cable to run it from a USB port since I didn't have room for the mains adapter. Works perfectly. Job done.
Recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Word of warning, 6 Jun 2012
This review is from: Roku 2400EU LT AV Receiver Set-Top Box (Electronics)
I have played around with my Roku box and it seems a decent streamer, definitely the cheapest way to watching Netflix on your telly.

Word of warning to those with tube tvs though, despite them saying that it "works with virtually any television", the standard definition signal it outputs is in American NTSC format and it displays in black and white on my UK standard PAL tv. There is no way to change the output signal to PAL like on most DVD players. This shouldn't be an issue with most modern flat panels televisions, or those who connect using the HDMI cable but it left me incredibly disappointed.

‹ Previous | 1 2 328 | Next ›