5.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of kit
I bought this principally to stream Netflix to an almost 20 year old CRT TV which has only scart and standard AV connections (the red, white and yellow jack sockets)as an alternative to spending several hundred pounds on a new HD ready TV.

Published on 18 Jun 2012 by RAY

3.0 out of 5 stars Is OK if on special offer
1. To use your Roku you will have to enter your credit card details whether you want to make any purchases or not. So if you hate putting your credit card details into yet another account - don't get this.

Published 11 months ago by Online Gamer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of kit, 18 Jun 2012
This review is from: Roku 2400EU LT AV Receiver Set-Top Box (Electronics)

What can I say - after a very straightforward setting up process (you need to use a credit card or Paypal to set up a Roku account but this is only used in the event you opt for premium products) this little gadget worked right out of the box. It found my network immediately and connected to it once I had input the password. I then logged into my Netflix account and was very quickly streaming movies on my ancient telly, with absolutely no stuttering or buffering problems, all was smooth, just like watching a DVD. No doubt streaming performance is down to a decent wireless connection - the connection to my router was strong and robust and as yet I have had no issues (Sky is my internet provider). My screen is 66 cm so the 720p picture that the Roku puts out was perfectly suited - very crisp, surprisingly so, in fact. The sound quality of the stream was excellent too. The 3 jacks from the TV go into a composite single jack into the Roku box, so very simple to hook up. I had no difficulty with TV formats as one reviewer has mentioned previously, the box went into UK PAL mode immediately. I did have to change the settings to switch from US timezones but that is very easy to do.

The user interface is simple, if a tad clunky, reminiscent of an old 1980's arcade game and whilst it is a bit slow to move around it works ok. It is very easy to add free or premium channels and to switch between them. The small remote sits very easyily in the hand and with the limited number of control buttons it is very simple to use.

The Roku unit itself is surprisingly small and perches quite happily on my TV top without looking obtrusive. Roku recommend that you don't put it into an enclosed cabinet which might interfere with the wireless performance.

All in all I am very pleased with this product for a price just shy of 50. I suspect I would readily consider upgrading to its bigger brother once I decide to splash out on an HD ready TV.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb...if you know what you are getting., 6 Oct 2012
J. O'Boyle (Ayrshire, Scotland United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Roku 2400EU LT AV Receiver Set-Top Box (Electronics)
I bought the Roku for viewing Netflix because my smart TV does not have the Netflix app, and I also wanted to be able to shift it through to the TV in the kitchen where I watch a lot of TV shows when I do the dishes. So I am going to review the Netflix side of the device as I think for UK consumers this may be its main draw (as well as bbc iplayer) and I will mention the other apps separately.

Netflix on Roku - I think the video and sound quality when viewing Netflix is excellent (even on my 42" plasma). I have been using it for months and have also had no problem with audio sync, pixelation or freezing during video play back. This was reassuring when I was using it in my kitchen as my other wi-fi devices usually report a low wi-fi signal in that part of my house. A few niggles I have about the Netflix interface on Roku... I do not think that it allows you to browse the entire catalogue, obviously you can search for a show or movie if you know the name of it (I think in other Netflix interfaces you can search by actor but not here) and the main screen comes up with new additions and recommendations across all genres based on your preferences and previously viewed shows or movies, but I have a feeling that there are some things you could miss on the Netflix Roku app if you did not know it was there, and perhaps using the Netflix website (or mobile app) occasionally to browse by genre etc would be a good idea to keep you up to date with the content. The Roku does not seem to have a "Browse All" option for Genres so I have spotted some movies on the website that were not shown on the home page on Roku, they are there....you just have to search. Don't get me wrong though, most of the content you would want is available from the home screen. Also it would be nice if you could add subtitles instantly during play back like (for example) when watching Netflix on the Wii, however you seem to have to go back to the previous screen, select them, then resume playing, but as it starts exactly where you left off this is hardly a big issue. As with all other Netflix apps any show or movie starts were you last left it and this syncs across your Netflix account so you can start watching something on the Roku, pick it up on your laptop, whatch a bit more on your phone, and come back to the Roku and each time it will start from were you left it on the previous device. You can obviously also choose to start from the beginning. I have noticed with Netflix that when you first start watching something it takes about 10 seconds or less for the video quality to catch up to full quality, so do not be disheartened if the video quality looks poor as soon as the video starts. Overall I am extremely happy with watching Netflix on the Roku. It comes with an AV connector so you can watch it on an old CRT type TV too, but you do have to purchase a HDMI cable if you want to watch it this way. I also love the Roku remote which only has a few buttons, the pause and rewind buttons functioning similarly across all Roku channels. More of which below.

Other channels on Roku (available from the channel store option on the device home page) - Being from the UK the main other app I use is the iPlayer app, as I have this on my TV I do not use it as much but any time I have used it I have found the browser as well as video and audio playback to be flawless and some of the content is in HD, but to be honest the standard definition stuff looks great too! There are about 100 other channels available on the Roku, most of them are free though some are subscription based. Many of the channels available are from American sources, though they are loads of category specific things from cooking channels, news, religion, gadgets/tech, music, radio,games and other video on demand services such as Break.com (the best Break interface I have saw on a device) and Crackle. Oh and it also has Dog TV a channel purely for dogs. It would have been great to see Youtube on here but the channel is sadly unavailable (update as of may 2014 it is now). Lovers of old and obscure movies will love some of the channels which brings tons of B movie horror, pulp movies and westerns available fo free (usually with an ad played before hand). The quality of these is terrible as they obviously have not been cleaned from their original source but this adds to the charm, and old movie lovers will have a field day going through the content available. I also liked the Facebook channel, it only shows the media content posted by yourself and others but if you have a lot of high quality pictures and videos on your (or others) Facebook accounts, this is a handy way to see them on a big screen. For more info on the available channels check out [...]
Some points to note which may be an issue for some...

To use the Roku you will have to subscribe at their web site with payment details (was pleased to see Paypal accounts are accepted) this is so that they can charge you if you purchase any of the paid channels but they don't take any payments off you unless this happens, much like the same way you have payment details saved with google in case you buy paid android apps. At one point during the setup of the device a code appears, and you have to then visit the website and enter the code, so if you are setting up the device it would be handy to have the internet to hand.

Also it only connects to the web via wi-fi, it has no Ethernet port so you will have to be sure your TV (or at least the places your Roku will sit) is within range of your wi-fi router. It also has no feature for reading video files direct from the device (such as from USB or SD) so if you already have a device for this, then you will have to keep it and the Roku and use both as required.

It does not allow you (as a standard feature) to stream media from your computer, I have heard some people buy it who think this is a feature. However (and maybe this is what Roku were referring to) one of the additional channels available is called Plex and allows you to setup your PC as a media server to stream videos to the Roku and also Plex apps on Android etc. I have never used this but it gets mixed review.

Update July 2013 - Now TV from sky has all been added which has great movies and works really well but it is quite expensive per month, interestingly they have released a now tv player for 10 which is a scaled down Roku and includes iplayer and demand 5.

To summarise I think the Roku is an awesome product and I have no regrets, but you should be fully aware of the content and functionality before making your purchase especially if there is a particular channel you plan to mostly use and you should not assume that any content you can access on the web is going to be available here. It looks good in its purple and black finish and it is tiny, around the size of a cigarette pack. I was also pleased to see that the Roku came first in the Cnet Prizefight against Apple TV.

May 2014 update : Youtube is now available it's a bit clunky to search but cool that you can link it to your tablet or smartphone so if u see a Youtube video on the you can "Send" it to the Roku and it plays on the TV.

Feel free to ask me any questions you might have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tech for a TV with no set-top box, or rubbish reception, 11 Dec 2013
This review is from: Roku 2400EU LT AV Receiver Set-Top Box (Electronics)
Bought to put in the bedroom where we have different groups of channels depending on the direction of the aerial and if someone isn't on the computer next door...

Wirelessly connects to home network, streams Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Channel 5 and now recently 4 on demand, plus the plethora of Roku channels (most free - some paid, not really interested personally).

On top of this I have a home Plex Media Server allowing streaming of content from my PC to the Roku.

Absolutely faultless, easy to setup, small, low-power and no noise. Best Netflix / Plex streamer out there for the money. Pay a bit more for the Roku 1 if you want 1080p - I'm not particularly bothered as 720p is good-enough at this price point and is almost 2x as good as SD tv broadcasts anyway.

Turns on quick / auto-sleeps, menu is responsive and simple to use and navigate, first time setup requires the use of a computer to sign up to roku through a web-page, must add credit card details or paypal for buying premium content - I also enabled a pin for adding channels so no accidental purchases.

Bought for 34.50 - have seen it down at 29 absolute bargain, convinced all the family to buy one for their bedroom TVs.

3.0 out of 5 stars Is OK if on special offer, 6 Sep 2013
This review is from: Roku 2400EU LT AV Receiver Set-Top Box (Electronics)

2. It comes with just basic AV cables. No HDMI cable included. So while it supports HDMI output, you will need to get a cable separately if you want that extra picture quality.

3. The hardware is sound. But you're buying this for channel content. As of August/September 2013 here in the UK all i find myself using this thing for is a BBC iPlayer box, because most of the other available channel content seems really poor. This will hopefully change in the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great kit for non-Smart TVs, 31 July 2013
Mark H (London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Roku 2400EU LT AV Receiver Set-Top Box (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Basically this product allows you to take a TV that isn't 'SMART' and allows you to add both free and paid for extra content to your TV.

This is a compact and easy to set up piece of equipment. I was amazed how small it really is. We are talking the size of a smart phone if that, just thicker. The remote is simple to use. The box itself feels well made.

Set up is simple. The menu guides you through set up and it was very painless. Once it is connected to the Wi-Fi it will give you a code to register on the Roku site. So be sure to have the interweb handy to get online with. Once you have entered the registration code you will then need to register an account. It will ask you for a payment option but you don't get charged anything unless you pay for any of the pay movies or channels. And you have the option on sign-up to set a PIN that has to be entered if anyone wants to pay for something. In terms of payment options it supports credit cards but also Paypal, which I found convenient.

In terms of connectivity to the TV you have two options. Either the old school RCA leads or via HDMI. If you go via HDMI you have a couple of extra options in the Settings menu such as Audio can be set to Surround sound. Maximum resolution via HDMI is 720p with this LT model.

One thing to be aware of is that thie LT model is Wi-Fi only. For most people these days this won't present a problem but if you are planning to use it with a TV in a room where the wi-fi connection is not the best then it may affect your ability to stream the content from your router to the Roku. And also don't forget that using this will use your broadband, so whilst I know most people are now on unlimited packages at home if you are not and you use a lot already be careful!

The more expensive model does offer a couple of major things. Firstly it can stream full 1080p and secondly it has an Ethernet connection so no reliance on Wifi. I guess you will need to make the call on how important those are to you. For me if Roku becomes a major feature in my house then I will consider getting the more expensive model to get all the benefits.

All in all the set up took me about 10 minutes tops, from plugging in to getting my first movie streaming via Crackle (free movies, including some you may have heard of!). The end of the setup also takes you through adding some initial channels. This is handy if only to get something streaming to prove it all works. To be honest even

There are loads of channels available, most of them free, probably around 100 or maybe more! Lots of people will use it for Netflix but there are a heck of a lot of other movie and tv content streaming channels available too. My advice would definitely be to have a good search on the device and check out the Roku web site as well. I mentioned Crackle above, be wary on that one as you will find adverts popping up reasonably often at quite annoying points in a film. Explains why it is free but also something to be wary of on a number of the free channels.

All in all this is a great addition to the home entertainment armoury. Even if you have a Smart TV you may well find the Roku gives you an even wider range of channels. I'm impressed so far.

4.0 out of 5 stars Roku to watch Netflix on Old TV, 26 Jan 2014
This review is from: Roku 2400EU LT AV Receiver Set-Top Box (Electronics)
After a long research in different blog I choose this product to stream Netflix to my Old TV. Though there were some review said it doesn't work in UK, I was decided to buy.

My decision wasn't wrong.. It is working perfectly, I am getting Netflix in my old TV (UK).

Moreover I have added some channels where I can get Tamil channels (Cinefun, yepp TV...)

Now my regret is why I did't know about this piece before I took SKY TV connection...

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple, easy to use but limited content, 24 Nov 2013
This review is from: Roku 2400EU LT AV Receiver Set-Top Box (Electronics)
Neat little box, connected up to my wifi very easily, picked up my account registration with roku pretty much immediately BUT content is limited. Even with the software update (installed and updated yesterday - Nov 2013) it only has BBC iPlayer and 5 on Demand, not ITV Player or Channel 4's version. It also doesn't have live TV.

There are lots of other channels (movies, kids, cartoons, etc) that are free of charge and some subscription ones too e.g. NowTV and Netflix.

Are there others that have at least the Freeview type of channels for live viewing as well as these other channels?

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but only for 'now and again' use - no live TV content, 14 Aug 2014
Peter Coupe (North Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Roku 2400EU LT AV Receiver Set-Top Box (Electronics)
As we are about to move house and the Sky dish will no longer be an option for us (listed building, thatched roof, etc), so I thought I had better try out a few alternatives.
It's a neat little box and fires up quickly enough. The remote is tiny, but works fine. It's worth remembering that you will still need the TV remote to control input and volume controls.
It's a bit of a faff getting access to any decent channels (there is an astonishing amount of rubbish out there) but if you persevere you will find a few.
There are lots of "apps" that will - they assure you - make this project a lot easier, but I didn't find that at all.
Most of them just seem to act as a larger remote control unit.
I have the BBC iPlayer and a few free channels. Nothing exciting. I did sign up for a free trial of Netflix and thought some of the stuff on there was OK, but I wouldn't actually sign up an pay for it - it's just not worth it for me.
One huge disappointment for me was the lack of a streaming facility for the Amazon Prime Instant Video service. This is available in America, but not in the UK for some reason.
Overall - - - -
It's an OK device for a limited set of outputs. It does have Netflix - but you have to pay for it.
It doesn't have Amazon Prime Video in the UK - which is very poor as they have it in the US.
As far as finding some decent TV to watch - you have to kiss a lot of toads before you get to meet a prince.
Overall speed and reliability is a plus point. It plays without a hitch or a glitch.
A mixed bag.
I will probably end up with the BT TV offering, as I will definitely want to access 'live' TV as well as repeats on streaming, and the broadband seems to be just about fast enough to carry it.
However, I will keep this for a smaller TV in the study, so I can watch odd stuff on catchup.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top little media streamer, 30 Sep 2013
This review is from: Roku 2400EU LT AV Receiver Set-Top Box (Electronics)
This is the first time I have written a review on Amazon, but I felt this little piece of kit was worth the effort.
After ditching Sky, and the useful second RF output / magic eye setup on an upstairs TV, I was looking for a media streaming device of some sort that would basically allow me to stream from my home network, and possibly some of the on-demand services available, such as BBC iPlayer. Almost even make my 'dumb' TV 'smart'.
Having checked out such things as Apple TV, similar items from the big manufacturers and the Roku range, I decided on this one. Incidentally I only paid 35 for it a couple of weeks ago, bargain!
It's an excellent little unit, easy to setup and use and does exactly what I need. To be honest, we only really currently use the free stuff, iPlayer and Demand 5, as well as the Synology channel to stream from my DiskStation. All works as you would expect, and if you fancy paying the subscriptions for the likes of Now TV or Netflix, I'm sure they will also work well. A good wi-fi signal and broadband is essential.
There's a lot of dross 'channels' on there, but since you set it up yourself, only the channels you choose are displayed, so it's pretty good in that respect.
I was also restricted for space as the TV is wall mounted and I was hoping to avoid having anything wall mounted and requiring too many cables and such. This is great, I've manage to mount it discretely to the bottom of the TV, and being a bit of a techie myself, have made myself a power cable to run it from a USB port since I didn't have room for the mains adapter. Works perfectly. Job done.
Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic little box, 20 April 2014
This review is from: Roku 2400EU LT AV Receiver Set-Top Box (Electronics)
I bought this as a Christmas present for the other half, he has trouble sleeping and we were in danger of the house capsizing under the weight of DVD's. Not any more though, this tiny little box had given him hours of insomniac pleasure.
It's very easy to set up, it comes with wires for connection but as I had a spare hdmi lead I used that. It found my network immediately and it was just a question of putting in passwords - I had already set up with roku using my laptop so that made connection very quick. I had already subscribed to Netflix so he was ready to go.
The picture quality is good and we have only had a couple of occasions when a loading problem has delayed viewing of an item - a problem with the network I think.
I would say it is much better than a DVD as you don't have to work through all the choices or the copyright warnings that you get with a DVD. My husband is not technically minded but he finds using the roku really easy. He loves US crime series so at the moment he is ploughing his way through the 7-8 days of 24 that is available on Netflix. I'm hoping that whatever lovefilm is called these days becomes available soon as then I might renew my prime membership.
I would recommend this little box to anyone who had an older TV, it takes up a tiny space and for a small monthly fee it opens up a whole world of on demand film and TV.